We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Which is fastest?

Car Freak

An interesting question I saw on an Autocar blog just now; which of the following do you think will have the highest terminal speed (not quite the same as fastest time) over a standing kilometre?

Nissan GT-R, Porsche 911 Turbo S, Ferrari 458 Italia, Mercedes SLS, Lexus LF-A, Ariel Atom 245, Noble M600, Audi R8 V10

You can read Steve Sutcliffe's blog here:

http://www.autocar.co.uk/blogs/anythinggoes/archive/2010/08/24/what-s-fastest-get-your-guesses-in.aspx

Really is a good question to think about, and I for one, have no idea which way it'll go.

My guess is (from quickest to slowest):

1. Noble M600

2. Ferrari 458

3. Porsche 911 Turbo S

4. Audi R8 V10

5. Lexus LF-A

6. Nissan GT-R

7. Mercedes SLS

8. Ariel Atom

Let's see who get's closest to the actual answer, eh? Results will be released on Autocar's website on Friday...

I'd have to say:

Nissan GT-R, Porsche 911 Turbo S, Ferrari 458 Italia, Mercedes SLS, Lexus LF-A, Ariel Atom 245, Noble M600, Audi R8 V10

Noble M600

Porsche 911 Turbo S

Ferrari 458 Italia

Lexus LF-A

Ariel Atom

Audi R8 V10

Nissan GT-R

Mercedes SLS

Just a guess, probably miles out. :p

Hmm interesting. Tough call, the 458 has outstanding launch control and shifts so quick so I do think it could be at the top due to this. The M600 is grunty and would need a good launch but I can see it just pipping the Atom which will probably get to about 140/145mph at the km markoff. The new Porsche Turbo should just pip the GT-R even though it again has amazing launch and shift times. I'll be very interested to see what's last.

1) Ferrari 458 Italia

2) Noble M600

3) Ariel Atom 245

4) Lexus LF-A

5) Porsche 911 Turbo S

6) Nissan GT-R

7) Mercedes SLS

8) Audi R8 V10

Alfa is the fastest, no doubt

Would be helpful if you actually read the first post.

Anyways, here's my list thing.

1. Ferrari 458

2. Mercedes SLS

3. Noble M600

4. Porshe 911 Turbo S

5. Audi R8 V10

6. Nissan GTR

7. Lexus LFA

8. Ariel Atom

I think you guys have to bear in mind though, it's not who crosses the finish line first, it's who's going fastest as they cross the finish line.

After giving it a bit more thought, i've tweaked my list a little bit:

1. Noble M600

2. Ferrari 458

3. Porsche 911 Turbo S

4. Lexus LF-A

5. Audi R8 V10

6. Mercedes SLS

7. Nissan GT-R

8. Ariel Atom

A KM isn't very long, it's only about .6 of a mile, so whatever takes the half mile most likely will take this list. That said the Noble and Ariel should take first and second, but it'll be close since that Porsche could really make that catch. The other thing to remember is they are going for highest speed not quickest time.

1. Noble M600

2. Porsche 911 Turbo S (I'm assuming the new PDK one)

3. Ferrari 458 Italia

4. Nissan GTR

5. Audi R8 V10

6. Ariel Atom 245

7. Mercedes SLS

8. Lexus LFA

The top three should be really close but I think the Noble will have it on the Porsche assuming proper launches across the board. The Porsche should place second, but just a hair before that Ferrari. That new Porsche is fast and it really gets going with a proper launch, I think it'll make the second highest speed.

The GTR may be the second or third fastest in time, but it may not be for speed. The Audi will post a respectable time but won't be able to mix with the above echelon.

The Ariel, Mercedes and Lexus will probably be the last three, they tend to lose out high up and I don't think the Mercedes or Lexus will be able to do anything impressive. The Ariel Atom's top speed shows around before the KM mark, so it's going to hit the limiter, it may still get one of the fastest times but not the high speed it needs.

The above resides on the cars all getting a proper launch...

They didn't put them all against each other in the end, instead they paired them off.

1. Noble M600 - 20.00

2. Porsche 911 Turbo S - 20.05

3. Mercedes SLS - 21.22

The SLS was faster than the LFA, and the 911 was much faster than the GTR, but they didn't give the LFA's and GTR's time. And what happened to the atom?

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-video/fastest-car-video/

^ Thats what I based my list on and why I put the Atom last, I accelerates really fast but I think it tops out at 155 MPH..

Top Gear did a drag race with a Callaway Corvette, LP640 and an Atom among others. The Atom destroyed them all.

Ah, but that was over a shorter distance...

Anyway, the results have been released:

1 Noble M600 173.8mph/20.00sec

2 Ferrari 458 Italia 163.9mph/20.33sec

3 Porsche 911 Turbo S 163.2mph/20.05sec

4 Mercedes SLS 161.1mph/21.22sec

5 Lexus LFA 157.9mph/21.55sec

6 Nissan GT-R 153.9mph/21.65sec

7 Audi R8 V10 Spyder 152.1mph/22,05sec

8 Ariel Atom 245 128.0mph/22.84sec

http://www.autocar.co.uk/blogs/stillatthewheel/archive/2010/08/27/what-s-fastest-the-results.aspx

Looks like I only got 4 correct... Was quite surprised to find the SLS going faster than the LF-A