We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Post One Random Automotive Picture Per Day

iLLGT3

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Rolls Royce paint quality :eek:

What we see here is the lack of orange peel.

I could make a similar photo if the paint on my car would not have more orange peel than an actual orange. Here is a bit blurry photo, but the difference between a €45k and €250k paint is clearly visible.

Although, it has to be said that not all expensive cars come with a perfect paint out of the factory and dealers' PDIs make things even worse.

30084056703_b6e5a9271d_o.jpg

Yup you can quite easily identify where the difference is. I wonder if there is a real difference among car companies as to paint quality etc, Whether a A6/E/5 series all have the same quality or whether there are cars out there in that price bracket who have really high quality paint but the company doesn't get much credit for it? :shrug:

Out of the D3, BMW is usually the worst. BMW has this $10,842 silver paint and orange peel is still present. It's all because modern automotive paints are water-based and it is the process that causes it AND the lack of quality control and finishing stages. and and and

Rolls can "afford" to do it (and so do the customers), but mainstream manufacturers probably not. There are obviously differences, one might have softer paint with less orange peel than the other, and there might be differences within the manufacturer's range or even model years, but generally speaking, orange peel is everywhere. The AMG GT I have seen at the dealer this year was pretty good, other AMGs there not that much.

12244271_994805670571826_8644938457751570607_o.jpg