We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Eden Games striking. Due to Atari Redundancy Plans

Eudemon

Totally agree.

If they had more in the first place, we wouldn't be complaining about lousy sound, or voice overs, or inaccurate models. Hell, who knows, maybe they'd write a decent back story for the cup. Everything connected with SP seems like a last minute addition. A decent Q/A would've helped ironing bugs out. This game was simply too big for such studio. This basically is an MMO and I'm pretty sure the resources they had been given were laughable in comparison with other MMO projects. If the publisher was somebody else there would've been more people involved, surely. They would've made sure everything is going according to plan, because this game had and still has so much potential.

in situations like this i feel the need to make a sports reference. its like the Miami Heat basketball team who brought in 3 of the biggest stars in the NBA. even with these guys playing, they were not playing well together which resulted in more losses then expected. basically wat im tryin 2 say here is that Eden and Atari are superstars on the Test Drive series team, but they were not playing together so instead they come out with a product that was not up 2 par and now Eden is asking for a trade.

this is unfortunate because i was really seeing some progress in some fixes in game. does this mean the DLC patch wont be released on the consoles until this issue is resolved?

in situations like this i feel the need to make a sports reference. its like the Miami Heat basketball team who brought in 3 of the biggest stars in the NBA. even with these guys playing, they were not playing well together which resulted in more losses then expected. basically wat im tryin 2 say here is that Eden and Atari are superstars on the Test Drive series team, but they were not playing together so instead they come out with a product that was not up 2 par and now Eden is asking for a trade.

this is unfortunate because i was really seeing some progress in some fixes in game. does this mean the DLC patch wont be released on the consoles until this issue is resolved?

I believe I can improve your reference by saying atari's management is very similar to Timberwolve's management. They're both rubbish

hmmm. I wonder if Eden tried their best to finish the patch before going on strike. Or the other way around, Atari taking the decision of getting rid of the team because of the bugged game and their lack of knowledge to bring a good patch in time. Does somebody knows if this or something similar has happened in another company??

Talking of beta, that was obviously a massive waste of time. Apart from for you lot who "tested" it getting to play early, but I imagine that in turn made the actual game's lifespan even shorter.

Or they're not capable :|

It's both. The beta delivered simply way too much stuff to fix. I think even a big dev like R* would not have been able to fix everything within the time Eden had to fix it. And that was just a very limited small piece of the game. Looking at what they included in the game and what not shows they are not capable to, and it's not rocket science to see there was too much to do for Eden within the timeframe Atari gave.

Its never nice to lose your job, but lets be honest here. Eden have created a pretty sub-standard product here and it makes good business sense to get rid of staff who are responsible for that or not capable of improving it.

Its a shame though that Atari are too blind to know that and are most likely cutting the team because of their own poor management.

This.

Obviously we can sympathize for people losing their jobs, but really, considering the crap they were churning out I'm not surprised. It's the equivalent of a restaurant worker wiping down only the close half of the table and hoping the boss doesn't notice. It could only continue for so long.

This.

Obviously we can sympathize for people losing their jobs, but really, considering the crap they were churning out I'm not surprised. It's the equivalent of a restaurant worker wiping down only the close half of the table and hoping the boss doesn't notice. It could only continue for so long.

i don't think i can agree with you, see the problem is what we all know, we only know half of the story. What if the game is crap because its underfunded? Or if the deadline wasn't enough for it?

There's way to many variables to overlook to simply claim that the game is bad because of eden's or atari's fault.

i don't think i can agree with you, see the problem is what we all know, we only know half of the story. What if the game is crap because its underfunded? Or if the deadline wasn't enough for it?

There's way to many variables to overlook to simply claim that the game is bad because of eden's or atari's fault.

you have to acknowladge that the source which manages this is the atari management itself. So when talking underfunded or deadline issues its atari's fault if only a bit eden's fault as well for working with atari.

The game IS underfunded, most clear notice would be that we could have had a way bigger carlist. It's not the only thing that costs money, but it does make a statement if the list is not filled. The deadline was indeed NOT enough. The beta spit out way too much problems and none of those got solved, I can tell you that. However considering the execution of many aspects in the game I still think it's also a combination of rushing and underfunding, as not having the right manpower and skills to achieve something. No wider deadline or bigger budget will make the existing devteam more skilled. That will require new people, a bigger developerteam ánd a bigger budget, not just one.

My guess is that not only was it underfunded but rushed. You can tell by the lack of features, even the clutch. The beta should've been at least half a year later. I guess ATARI didn't have the cash or patience for more so they did it the way they did.