We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Car Dilemma

TIMELESS

Hey, so we've got a bit of a dilemma and would like some opinions :)

We have 2 options:

1) Have our Celica GT-Four completely resprayed, the wheels sandblasted and sprayed, and the engine rebuilt.

The engine is in a pretty good condition, it's had plenty of new parts over the years and it runs quite well, but as it's never been totally stripped it could probably run better. The left side is scraped badly from when some guy key'd the whole way down the side because he didn't like Toyotas. The wheels are rare Oz Italy WRC wheels, in decent condition, but do need a proper clean and respray.

2) Buy a Mercedes-Benz C220: (alongside the Celica)

• Coupe: 2006 SE Sport, metallic blue, 65k miles, 2.1L diesel, manual.
  • Saloon: 2005 Elegance, metallic blue, 55k miles, 2.1L diesel, automatic.

The gearbox in the merc isn't an issue as we're just looking for an economical cruiser to use on longer journeys instead of the GT-Four, the auto is probably more fuel efficiant, although both apparently do 42mpg (combined). Personally I'd rather the saloon, however my dad does like the coupe shape a lot.

Do we go for a perfected rally car or a comfortable cruiser Merc?

Celica isn't going anywhere, don't worry about that.. I'll make sure of it ;)

We had a test drive in both today, they're really comfortable, well equiped and look great in metallic blue. We had seen an E-Class as well but we weren't really all that impressed. Any other Mercs you think we should look at?

Uhm the new E Class is nice, but the E previous E class is not as nice and the interior is terrible.

If i were ur dad id go for the saloon C class, as the Coupe is ugly, but thats just me, as your dad likes its shape. :P

The C class's interior is not bad, its comfortable, though no big luxuries on it. Ive heard a lot of bad stuff bout the E and C classes. A friend whose dad also has a previous E class has encountered some trouble with electronics.

My uncle has a current generation C220 CDi estate, no problems yet but i trust that is because its quite new, as my confidence in mercs has been going downhill since their 2002 onward cars.

If your dad wants the C class, can i sugest the AMG equipment option? Looks great.

Well if ur dad wants a Merc than thats all i say, if hes willing to expand into other makers, i would suggest, equivalently to the C class, an A4 2.0 TDi (well not really, cose the 2.0 TDi has been the worst tdi engine ever, reliability wise, so i heard, never had a car with it tho, but i think they dont make the good 1.9 TDi with the current A4) Or a 320d, although if its luxuries you want and goodies and comfort, the 320d interior is not what you want.

Celica.

A good family friend of mine was searching for a car a while back and had narrowed the list down to a Bullitt Mustang and a Z4 when he got a chance to test drive two Mercs. The first was an E350 (2008) and the second was a C220 (2007). He ended up buying the E350 because it just blew him away with quality and luxury, but said that the C-Class just felt like an overpriced Camry. Plus, when it does break down, it'll cost an arm and a leg to fix. For this reason, I say make a really good Celica rather than indefinitely spend money on a low-end Mercedes. Just my $0.02. :)

-Leadfoot

With MB C Coupé I take it you point at the Sportcoupe with odd high tail, poor rear entry and poor rear view? I'd take a sedan, but maybe I look too much at the practical side, and I don't know with how many people you are and how many cars alongside the Celica you own. You can't use the Sportcoupe as familycar obviously.

I would go for the Merc option, but not because I'm a Merc lover, but because that adds a new car, and I assume you can afford it, modern Mercs ain't being cheap and all. Otherwise, you could save yourself from getting the Merc, and use all that money to make your GT-Four a perfect rally monster.

If you do get the Merc, take it to MBenzNL, that guy retrofits official Mercedes equipment into cars they never have been available for. :p

Stay clear of that CLC coupe thing, fugly thing >.<

The CLC is a 2008 - 2010 car, not a 2006. Difference is not big, but some people think the CLC looks better than the C-Sportcoupe. I think the same, but I don't think the Sportcoupe and CLC are great cars for the reasons I mentioned earlier.

C-Sportcoupe

c-coupe-01.jpg

CLC

mercedes-benz-clc-class-1-big.jpg

Then again, there's no difference other than styling and maybe a few equipment possibilities, they both share the same platform and the engine choice only got more limited with the CLC introduction. Don't count on AMG fun as well, the diesel 30CDI is rare, but the petrol 32AMG is impossible to find.

CLC is basically just a new name for the same thing. I don't paticularly like the coupe either, no point buying a hatchback Mercedes..

I'm hoping we might go for the Elegence, as much as I love the idea of a perfected Celica, the idea of a good (but not perfect) Celica and Merc sounds quite nice. The Celica can be done in the future, and while it's being done, we could have a Merc to cruise around in lol!

I'd go for C-class sedan. Make sure it is in great condition, especially body, 'cause some pre-facelift models corrode, but you're looking for a facelifted car, so don't worry about that.

Maybe a C200 Kompressor is another option, it is economical (something about 35.5 mpg), no diesel noise, faster than C220 CDI, less problems with it. But C220 CDI Auto is still good choice.

None of those older C classes look good IMO :/

Plus, they're more likely to break than your Toyota mate :cheeky:

If you really need the economical cruiser though, let me know what your budget is and I'll have a butchers on the interweb for an ideal car :)

e: actualy, those saloons don't look too bad in the blue you want, if that diesel engine is turbocharged that wouldn't be too bad considering it produces 251 lbs/ft :eek:

Just by google-ing and autotrader-ing it, it's grown on me :) ...on the other hand, you might like a 320d or a 330d mate ;) That linked 330d has more power and torque, and you can pick em up fairly cheap.

As much as I love Mercedes, I'm not a huge fan of the C-Class. But if you're only planning on buying a C-Class, then I'd say go for the sedan. I think the C-Class coupe of that time looked weird. Also, Since you said these are for long distance cruises I think a larger car would be more comfortable. I'm not really sure what your budget is but definitely aim for a midsize sedan (E-Class, 5'er, A6). I reckon you'd be able to get a 03'-04' BMW E60 or Mercedes W211 for a decent price.

Automatics rarely ever get better MPG than manual cars. Only the really recent as in this year or last years model automatics are as economic as manuals.

Actually ever since the early 90's automatics almost always equaled or gotten better MPG than manuals. But then again that's for petrol/gasoline powered cars, I'm not sure if it's the same for diesels.

Or saying that he thinks he is? :p

Circumstances have changed yet again, GT-Four needs some more money put into the engine to fix a leak. Meanwhile if we were to insure the Merc instead of the GT-Four with the NCBs it's down to £500-and-something instead of £1000. But that could mean taking the GT-Four off the road for the time being, unless we can get classic insurance on it :hmmm:

Saloon is definitely the choice of Merc though. 65k miles, 1 lady owner.

Not sure yet, thinking of getting it dyno'd soon, somewhere between 240 and 280. 0-60 in 5-6 seconds. Bit different to a 2.1L diesel Mercedes-boat. That's why taking it off the road is the last option, only if we have to will we do that. :/

And to give an example of one of the reasons we love it so much: a standard GT-Four with a boost controller can do this..

Not to mention with the new shock absorbers we put on recently it handles fantasticly, we live in rally country and own a rally car.. see what I mean? lol