We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Criterion Moving Away from Racing Games - IGN

Eudemon

In what has stunned a number of the gaming press and the developers supporters, Criterion Studio Chief Alex Ward has appeared to say 'enough' to racing games and that it's time to try something new. The acclaimed team behind the Burnout and most recent Need for Speed reboots of Hot Pursuit and Most Wanted went on twitter to express his views and answer some questions about a future Burnout or even a Road Rash game.

Criterion Moving Away from Making Racing Games - IGN

meh good for them, I don't think I'll exactly miss them. Burnout Takedown and Paradise were pretty good fun at the time but I haven't been wowed by them since they started doing NFS stuff.

Maybe NFS as a series will die as well - they don't have Criterion, they've lost Slightly Mad Studios, which leaves the Black Box developers (who made The Run - and as far as yearly cycles go are due for a new game this year - except we haven't heard anything about it yet except for some movie).

Regarding NFS a new studio called 'Ghost' is doing the next one with help from Criterion I believe. The one thing though about a respected developer trying something different to what they are known for is sometimes is just doesn't work. Look at PGR devs Bizarre Creations with their project The Club. Good idea but it just didn't come off properly.