We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Battlefield 4 'Netcode' Update Released

Camel

bf4.jpg

Earlier this week a major update was released for Battlefield 4 across all platforms that aims to address one of the biggest complaints with the game since it's somewhat turbulent launch last year. Below are the main points of the update and for more platform specific details follow the link below.

We’re happy to announce that we’ve released an update for PC, PS3, and X360 today containing the new improved “Netcode” for Battlefield 4. The update will be released later this week on PS4 and Xbox One.

This update has been developed using the CTE (Community Test Environment) on PC (you can sign up if you haven’t done so already at http://cte.battlelog.com), and is the first update being deployed using your gameplay feedback.

The number of changes possible in this update would be difficult to pull off without the continued support from our community, both through direct constructive feedback and telemetry data gathered on the CTE.

High Frequency Network Update

For the PC, PS4, and Xbox One platforms, we are adding something we nicknamed the “High Frequency Bubble”. Within a certain radius of the player, we add the possibility to update the clients at a higher rate from the server. What this essentially means is that the server will update the client on what is happening more often than before. This normally results in a smoother, more “correct” player experience.

The High Frequency Update is by default turned OFF in this release. You will have to enable this setting to take advantage of the improved networking. To support players with a limited bandwidth connection, we support three different levels: LOW, MEDIUM and HIGH. Most players with a connection faster than 1Mbit upload and 1Mbit download should be fine using the HIGH setting. If you experience any issues, lower or turn off the setting completely.

Playstation 4 and Xbox One Server Performance

The High Frequency Update will be rolled out to all 48 player servers and on a small set of 64 player servers immediately. We will then keep a close eye on the larger servers to make sure server performance stays good in the live environment. If all goes well, all servers will be supporting the high frequency update after 24 hours or rollout and testing.

PC Server Performance

On PC the RSPs are responsible for enabling the feature at their discretion, we expect most to do so as soon as possible.

Battlelog

Have you played it since the patch, if so, what do you think?

I for one have noticed a very noticeable difference to the feel of the game on PS4. It plays a lot smoother, more like BF3 in terms of lag, or lack of.

For this PC it comes down to whether the server has been upgraded/enabled for the new improvements.

All servers for PS4/Xbone have been upgraded now I think. You also need to enable it in the options menu for now.

For this PC it comes down to whether the server has been upgraded/enabled for the new improvements.

All servers for PS4/Xbone have been upgraded now I think. You also need to enable it in the options menu for now.

I'm aware of this, I did read up a little before passing judgement. Most EU server providers are claiming that they have the new improvements enabled, or that the provider has given the server owner the option of enabling said improvements.

I even went as far as finding a server from a specific provider that claimed to have the improvements enabled. I still play better on BF 3.

:hmmm: Just been on it again and it was absolutely appalling.

I seemed to die a lot easier than I used to but somehow it's a lot harder to kill enemies. I see them first, I shoot them first, I hit them first, they then turn around and kill me instantly with half health. Low and behold, half of the enemy team seem to be Brazilians on the Euro servers. So it's still a case of finding a server with people mostly from your region on it otherwise it's terrible.

Haha so the run behind a wall but die annoyance is still very much alive and infuriating. High-ping players are like gods in BF games, I mean watch them with Claymores, it's like someone is watching over them from the heavens with how they just go past them.

I haven't found any major difference... Maybe because I'm one of those high ping players :P I play mostly on a US server and my ping is around 150-170, it's not annoying to play at all. I still get shot after hiding behind walls though...

Haha so the run behind a wall but die annoyance is still very much alive and infuriating. High-ping players are like gods in BF games, I mean watch them with Claymores, it's like someone is watching over them from the heavens with how they just go past them.

Yep its still alive and going strong, and unfortunately there's no sign of it going away

Have you changed the high frequency update? It's turned off by default.

Personally I've got to say it makes a bit of a difference, but sometimes the kill trades still happen. And dying behind covers still happens, but it's not as bad as before. Right now it's more like two steps behind cover and not like 5 steps and more :D.

Somehow right now the normal mode reminds more of the hardcore from bf3. You die a bit quicker but also you kill a bit quicker :D. Overall it's a step into the right direction, although there's still a lot to be done.