We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

The Space Thread: Diablo's Home Planet Found

TIMELESS

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A space thread without the Wow! signal?

No one noticed when I posted the Wikipedia link :( It's facinating, read some very interesting theories and even found another possible extraterrestrial signal that originated from a star. One great idea was that perhaps these are two different sources communicating with each other and we just happened to notice...

No one noticed when I posted the Wikipedia link :( It's facinating, read some very interesting theories and even found another possible extraterrestrial signal that originated from a star. One great idea was that perhaps these are two different sources communicating with each other and we just happened to notice...

My bad.

*erases your post from the history of the :duck:*

I do think there is life out there, somewhere. But I also think that by the time anything makes it to earth or if something finds something that was sent from earth(Voyager) that the human race will be long gone.

My bad.

I do think there is life out there, somewhere. But I also think that by the time anything makes it to earth or if something finds something that was sent from earth(Voyager) that the human race will be long gone.

Or worse.. they already know about us and don't want anything to do with us! Or Stephen Hawking's theory, they'll come and rob us of our resources when we just want to be space buddies :(

--- Post Updated ---

There's a giant Cicada in space that was singing at Earth in 1977. :eek:

:eek: It must be something to do with these peoples..

My bad.

True, because I bet something will be done by ourselves that kills us. But imagine you'd take human self destruction out of the matter, we have a few hundred million years to live before the sun's so bright it's affecting some of the vital stuff needed for life (plants dying out for example). I think we'll be able to travel far well before that turning point. And I also think other races could.

I find it hard to believe we are alone in the universe. Maybe the aliens are hiding from us because they can see how we are destroying our own planet. I wouldn't blame them. :hmmm: The end of the world talk is a tad depressing but I wonder what the world we know will look like by then. Humans the way we think of them probably won't exist anymore.

When I said "end of the world" I was more tlaking about the end of our planet/civilization, whether it be when the sun eats us or something else happens before that. The end of the universe is a whole other matter. Maybe it will collapse in on itself and create some infinitely dense something (like before the Big Bang?). I've actually started thinking about the Heat Death lately, which in itself isn't about the end of the universe, but more a theory about what happens when all energy in the universe has been used, ie turned into heat. Heat death of the universe - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The general feeling with civilisations who reach the capability of interstellar space travel is that they have passed the stage of almost destroying themselves and have learned to exist, thus they would completely ignore us as we're not worth bothering with. I mean if the reports are believed to be true, then we just have to look at how quickly any UFO is attacked when it enters our airspace.

There's a feeling that technology has evolved too quick for there not to have been something that kick-started it in the mid-point of the 20th century. In a way you can see where they're coming from but at the same time there was a good amount of discoveries that you would imagine would lead to what we have today anyway.

When you mean the end of the world how do you know the universe won't collapse with it? (which is a possibility the expansion is like an elastic band) if so what would be left, nothing? What is nothing? This thought has always baffled me what if the universe just disappears?

you don't have to worry about it, you know nothingness better than what's like being alive. As neil degrasse tyson pointed out we weren't even around to ask these questions for the 99.9999% of the cosmic history.

I'll comment on these death of universe and earth discussions.

First of all our solar system will be long gone before any of the predicted theories on death of the universe even begin to happen. Sun will become a red giant in around 5.4 billion years, that means it'll get as big as the inner solar system (sun to mars) but the earth will be long gone before that process, and human species will be long gone before earth is destroyed (We're actually on the verge of 6th mass extinction cycle on earth). The heat death of the universe as Andrez posted is just one of the theories that could happen as it's pretty hard to simulate billions of years we'll get there soon enough though.

Humans have at most 600 million years before the sun terrorizes earth's atmosphere so bad that all plants die out. That means animals and we die out too. We have 600 million years to leave.

I hope they'll install some cameras in heat resistant housings so humanity can see how a red giant sunrise would look like :D

Well, if the rate of technological development continues at the current rate, in 600 million years it's likely we'll have moved planets, since that seems to be the plan currently. We'll probably have some indestructible GoPro 5000K cameras set up to document it :p

not likely at all, I did read an article that mathematically formulated the possibility of interstellar travel by a famous astrophysicist and it basically points out there's not enough time for the technology to reach that level. I'll try to find that.

--- Post Updated ---

edit : Bad News: Interstellar Travel May Remain in Science Fiction

ok so couple more things, for us to reach the nearest star to our own solar system Proxima Centauri (4.2 light years away and has no planetery system) it would take us 19.000 years if we were to go at the speed of fastest man-made object to this date. Even if we managed to go at the speed of light which is the limit to how fast you can travel in space it would require a habitat that must be sustained for at least 4.2 years in interstellar space which is filled with radiation, asteroids and many more obsticles. That is certainly not happening any time soon at least.

I doubt we would develop technology that would allow interstellar travel, to achieve that it would take a monumental time and dedication not to mention the available resources which are needed to produce these machines. However what's not to say whatever is out there has already developed such technology but is not aware of our solar system hence no communication.

Even if we managed to go at the speed of light which is the limit to how fast you can travel in space it would require a habitat that must be sustained for at least 4.2 years in interstellar space which is filled with radiation, asteroids and many more obsticles. That is certainly not happening any time soon at least.

They say the warp drive principle creates a bubble around the ship that protects everything inside from the outside and the massive speed... Who knows if that might offer us enough protection. Such a ship would be extremely big so it would be built in space I assume like the ISS. Problem is indeed it needs to be a residence for many years for so many people. You can't just pile up a million people in a canister and keep them frozen until we'd get there. xD