We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

The Space Thread: Diablo's Home Planet Found

TIMELESS

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Technology is amazing :hmmm:
And annoying. As the tech that reaches these destinations is basically out of date, compared to what we get to here, when they finally arrive. It always reminds me of the probable belief that the first true interstellar travellers will be passed by those in the later future as the technology advances.

:phil:

I mean imagine in the time of Star Trek a ship seeing the Voyager 1 and 2 satellites way out in deep space for example.

• 2 weeks later...
I just liked how someone bothered to type ", EARTH" in the location box... :lol:

Haha I noticed that too. Made me think of when I had to write my address in primary school - I'd always try to make it as long as possible. "NI, UK, Earth, The Milky Way, The Universe".

Black holes have always interested me from an early age, so I enjoyed this video which shed a few new facts, such as how they'd look from different perspectives, and 'dumb holes' which I had never heard of before but sound like a great way to learn more about black holes.

Mt Fuji seen from the ISS.. amazing!

CHtGd7-WIAABdQj.jpg:large

Also, be prepared next week for the arrival of New Horizons at Pluto. For the first time, beginning from July 14th, will scientists actually get to see what Pluto really looks like. For a moment since two days ago, there was some fear as NH went into safe-mode. It was found to be caused by an error in the code signals sent to it, and it was able to recover quickly.

See the latest photos here: New Horizons SOC

Today at 11:49 UTC New Horizons (NH) flew past Pluto at its closest point of under 8000 miles and hopefully took lots of pics so that we can see Pluto clearer than ever! The window of opportunity was just over 86secs and with the craft travelling at about 14km/s and the need to send the info way before the actual happening, all hopes are on a smooth operation as NH now heads out towards the Kuiper Belt.

This monumental and historic feat completes mankinds look at all the nine main bodies in our solar system, just think about that for a moment. :think:

To tide you over till the new shots come through this photo was released yesterday showing Pluto and it's now popular Heart shaped feature, and yes it is not blue, though we did know this but those of you who learned about the Solar System in your kiddie days may find it hard to take in that fact. :cry:

Rnj7kZj.jpg

The new photos should be shown in all their glory tomorrow, unless Pluto has a defence system and the aliens blew the craft up.

yes remarkable indeed. They had to wait for 39 years for the next fly-by mission in the outter solar system. Shame this mission was active before pluto was denounced as a planet. Come to think of it they might have never bothered with it in the first place if they knew how insignificant it was next to all the other flying little rocks. But nevertheless amazing achievement. Also shame that the whole makind takes credit for it when really it's made possible by a handful of great people.

Looking forward to hearing about the new things they will undoubtedly find out our favourite planet that isn't a planet and its many moons. Just hope they managed to get all the calculations spot on otherwise it will only send back pictures of empty space. :eek:

Today at 11:49 UTC New Horizons (NH) flew past Pluto at its closest point of under 8000 miles and hopefully took lots of pics so that we can see Pluto clearer than ever! The window of opportunity was just over 86secs and with the craft travelling at about 14km/s and the need to send the info way before the actual happening, all hopes are on a smooth operation as NH now heads out towards the Kuiper Belt.

This monumental and historic feat completes mankinds look at all the nine main bodies in our solar system, just think about that for a moment. :think:

To tide you over till the new shots come through this photo was released yesterday showing Pluto and it's now popular Heart shaped feature, and yes it is not blue, though we did know this but those of you who learned about the Solar System in your kiddie days may find it hard to take in that fact. :cry:

http://i.imgur.com/Rnj7kZj.jpg

The new photos should be shown in all their glory tomorrow, unless Pluto has a defence system and the aliens blew it up.

IT'S A BLUE PLANET, SHUT UP! :panic:

New Horizons phoned home successfully. We should get some good close pics in the next hours or so as they come through and are processed.

NASA ‏@NASA 7 minutes ago

.@NASANewHorizons “phoned home" & is healthy! Q? Use #askNASA during our 9:30pm ET briefing: NASA Television | NASA

Cool gif, quite nice to see how we have gotten to know Pluto more over the time since it was first discovered. Speaking of which it is truly amazing that some of the founders' ashes are on the craft and will now travel in space forever once its power runs out. Chances of it hitting anything out in space are very remote after all.