We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Windows 10 - Let's talk about where we want to go today

Ryzza5

here.[/url]

Not sure if you can do a clean install and use Windows 7/8/8.1 keys or not though.

Post #13 ^ for the likely story. You have to upgrade and activate Win10 once to register your hardware info with MS and then I believe you can clean install as much as you like after.

Post #13 ^ for the likely story. You have to upgrade and activate Win10 once to register your hardware info with MS and then I believe you can clean install as much as you like after.

Got myself a few Win 10 keys for any edition I want from Dreamspark. :)

Might give it a go tonight on a new partition in case I want to go back to 7.

Installed it about an hour ago and so far I think it's great. Most drivers were installed automatically unlike in Windows 7. It looks and feels very sleek.

The only problem so far is that scrolling down on my touchpad scrolls up. >.<

Just signed into my DreamSpark account but didn't see anything related to Windows 10 at all. Looks like they've stopped giving away Pro versions of Visual Studio as well now that anyone can get their hands on the free Community Edition (which is still a good thing).

I really like the new look of it, even though I had re-install some of the sound and video drivers manually I was pretty surprised I didn't have to do any other readjustments to any of the apps or settings it's as if it was just another windows update.(However that was 8.1 to 10 I will try upgrading my laptop today from 7 to 10)

I did try the xbox app even though I couldn't sign in to my account 90% of the time. It would've been better if there was an option to connect directly instead of going through network.

The quality and lag is acceptable (I'm connected through LAN) however I wasn't able to receive any sound, I'll look into that today perhaps.

Perhaps an interesting question: are you guys jumping through the express (default) profile settings on first login or are you going the custom route and turning certain things off.

i.e. I've been turning off: Auto-join open/contacts WiFi networks, share browsing history for Edge prefetch, send advertising tracking ID, and so on.

Also a new feature in Windows 10 is P2P Windows updates. You can choose to download updates only from Microsoft (classic), or you can grab them from other PCs on your LAN that already have them or from other PCs on the Internet (somewhat like a Torrent). Personally I'd change it to classic mode just for now just in case there's a security breach. I assume MD5 hashes are used to prevent that.

So I've been thinking about upgrading my media/web server from Win 7 Home (came with it, was too lazy to reinstall Pro or Ultimate at the time) to Windows 10 Pro. But hosting services like that I don't want Windows pushing out all sorts of updates and shutting down when it feels like it. But I figured there would be a workaround to prevent that.

I just had an epiphone though - since I would lose Media Centre anyway, why not install Windows Server 2012 R2 instead? Drivers might potentially be an issue but it's worth further exploration.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Microsoft now plans to make the Win10 upgrade a 'Recommended Update' for Win 7/8 users as of early next year.

What this means, is that if you (or your grandmother) have Automatic Updates enabled (which she should), the W10 installation will kick off automatically.

Granted, user intervention is required to complete the installation, but that's not exactly hard to do these days. If they can install a free program laden with bundled crapware, then they can probably install Windows 10 as well.

MS's reasoning for this is that they've fielded many CS requests from users asking how to start the upgrade. Which to be honest I find a little odd. Surely it must be easier to find the upgrade procedure than finding contact details for MS Customer Support. :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

So who upgraded for free and who didn't?

I only upgraded PC's I don't care about so much (i.e. one connected to the TV and my gaming one which I treat as a console). My primary PC remains resolutely with Win 7.

I was on Win 10 upgrade duty for a lot of the past week and took the plunge myself in the early hours of Friday. It seems alright and after using Win10Privacy have managed to turn most of the intrusive and extraneous options off. I was unsure of some of my older programs not working but they seem fine at the moment. I did have an issue with sound not working but a reddit post about updating the driver via Device Manager and selecting the first HD Audio option solved that.

I have about a month to go back and as I updated I believe I have access to Win 10 via digital entitlement so can always return in the future if MS scale back the whole big brother is watching you type thing.

It feels like an evolution of Win 7 which suits me fine.

Will be watching how the updates and plans unfold for the OS though and if they look to slide too far to watching and collecting too much then I'll be glad to have my Win 7 disc on hand.

Also I have a feeling another free period will show up again in the next few months, Microsoft wants people on 10 and giving it away is the best way to have that happen.

• 3 weeks later...