We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Time to upgrade from 1990 to 2009 (Car Exchange)

ProDexorite

I'm not that familiar with the so called daily-use cars and their brands and models. I've currently been seeking some replacement for my -90 Audi 80, needless to say I'm going to roll below the current 2.0 liter engine for I honestly just roll from home to work and groceries.

My price tag for the new car is 8500€ at its maximum.

Currently I've been looking to Hyundai i20 Comfort (2009), that is just 1.4 liter engine with enough space and accessories for my use, but is it any good? It has been driven a bit under 90 000 kilometers, and just one owner which makes it really tempting.

Test driving it today afternoon, any comments before that will be noted and I'll decide if I take it or not, and post the reply in here to keep you guys updated! Also, if you wouldn't go for this Hyundai i20, feel free to recommend other brands and models which should be worth looking for! Japanese and Korean brands are what I'm seeking, for the maintenance cost and all the available accessories for that price-range are just perfect.

Diesel VW's should be pretty cheap over there as well, no? :lol:

Otherwise you can't go wrong with Toyota. Or perhaps for something a little more interesting AND Japanese, have a look at some Subaru's. Given how reliable (I think) they are, you could possibly go a little older to offset the price of a better model.

I hate Fords but I'd imagine maintenance costs being similar to Asian brands to be honest. My only issue with the i20 is it's bloody dull, for that money I'd go for something fun and quirky (French basically) like a DS3 maybe?

But if he went with something french he would never get to drive it because it would always be in the shop getting fixed :cheeky:

But if he went with something french he would never get to drive it because it would always be in the shop getting fixed :cheeky:

That's really just a sort of car stereotype, considering how popular French cars are in the UK I know a lot of owners that would testify otherwise.

Even if they were designed by Bruno Sacco, I still would not ever buy any motor vehicle with their badge.

^ Snob :p

That's really just a sort of car stereotype, considering how popular French cars are in the UK I know a lot of owners that would testify otherwise.

I'm pretty sure the biggest problem 'round here at least is that they don't like cold. I've seen several broken down Peugeots this winter :/

Oh please, you'd buy a BMW even if the only model they offered was the 214d Gran Tourer. :p

I'm pretty sure the biggest problem 'round here at least is that they don't like cold. I've seen several broken down Peugeots this winter :/

Yeah, ours really didn't like the -13 we had the other day but maybe that's just the diesels. :hmmm: I can only imagine it gets a lot colder over there. :p

Lots of good discussion here, lads! Thanks for the advices (though my answer to them is a bit late)!

Did not go for the Hyundai, though I would've got it for that money, it was a received offer that I basically stated in here. But that wasn't something one would expect from 2009 car. A bit cheap, but hey, it is Korean all right.

Went to their neighbour and got myself a Toyota Corolla 1.4 VVT-i Terra, from 2005 and hatchback of course! The salesman did go for the same as everyone else I know that knows something about cars, basically by saying that the car can only be broken with a bazooka, which pretty much covers the Toyota in general. Of course all brands and models have their "Monday models" which break up, eat way too much oil and so, but we'll see what comes out of this!

I will be sure to update with a picture once I've got that car. Right now it is waiting to get cleaner and inspected by the selling company's experts. Did not get any aluminium rims with it, which kind of makes me sad :sulk:

*Gives a cookie*

I was going to look for VW Golf, but since the Toyota convinced me first, I never bothered to go there. For me the diesel engine is a bit useless, since I don't drive that much and my travels are quite short to work and groceries. I would just end up wasting money on unnecessary taxes and in addition, I would be freezing to death on my way back home!

Quite surprised how damn well that Toyota Corolla warmed up on about -20 Celsius, as I probably got to the entrance gates of the car shop and it was blowing warm to my cheeks! Guess that is the combination of a small engine and Japanese quality. That Hyundai I drove did not get warm during the whole ~15 minute test drive :lol:

Haha, the insurance fees for pretty much every BMW-model is freaking high here in Finland (I guess because most of the teenagers with no skill to actually handle the vehicle usually end up crashing them).

Also, I'm not personally in to BMW as a manufacturer. It may be because of the image most people got here in Finland about BMW drivers being jerks and all, but when I really think of it, I don't really find the appearance in any way tempting. Sure they are sporty and look mean and more muscular than my current Audi 80 or upcoming Corolla (picking it up next Tuesday btw.), but just not my style. :)

Mod edit: keep it PG please :lol: