We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Really old games which are really good

Mega-lo-mania, The first game I ever played I believe and it was on the Amiga. I think the game was released before I was born

Fallout 2 - Was the best game back in '98 and is still the best game to this day, it has so much replayability (If that's even a word)

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

first racing game i remember was Test Drive 4, was amazing.

Got the DC out yesterday, me and the GF played Chu Chu Rocket. :D That game was IMMENSE! best party game ever, it needs to come to XBLA i swear.

Tried to play house of the dead 2 aswell but my lightgun doesnt work with LCD TVs. so i got the keyboard out and we played Typing of the Dead instead :D

Lemme see I enjoyed my past gaming life.

NFS2

NFS2 SE

NFS3

NFS3 SE (Really, I forgot which NFS had the SE)

NFS High Stakes/Road Challenge

NFS Porsche Unleashed (One of the first simulation racing games I played.)

NFS Hot Pursuit 2

Gran Turismo 1 (One of the first simulation games I played.)

Gran Turismo 2 (Same)

Auto Modelista

Tekken 2

Tekken 3

Megaman X4

Megaman X5

Megaman X6

Grand Theft Auto 3

Grand Theft Auto Vice City

NASCAR '98, '99, '00, '01 (yes I collected them all)

NASCAR Rumble

Test Drive, I forgot, but it was really really fun.

Crash Bandicoot all of them. One of the most challenging games evaar.

Driver 2. (I remember seeing guns on his hand in the shadows, but then I never knew how to fire it. LOL!)

ThirtyTwo, that happened to me as well. I borrowed my friend's GTA 3 and never returned it. lol

1NSANE was insane. Basically offroading, but it was the first game I really played multiplayer on, and I owned (obviously).

Also the very first Leisure Suit Larry was brilliant. I never got very far in it, because it got quite frustrating. But it worked on our old Windows 3.1 laptop, and used type commands for everything. And it is still the only game I know of to date which (because it was an 18), had a quiz at the start to work out whether you were the appropriate age. It also didn't accept you if you said your age was very high. :lol:

This is what it looked like:

ST_Leisure_Suit_Larry.png

This was a puzzle game in which you simply had to talk to every wall, look at every person and climb every ladder. Good stuff.

Pokemon Yellow! Much more difficult than Red or Blue. :thumbsup:

No way am i letting you get away with saying that :D:D. Pokemon Blue and Red (and Green, but basically the same game apart from the sprites) were much harder!!!! And stranger too, somehow :p. I remember i was like 7 or 8 when Yellow came out, and i remember getting home at like lunch time and just laying on my bed and playing it until about 8 that night :D:D. I accidentally released my Pikachu though, so i had to train up an Alakazam to Lv. 77 or 78. That was awesome :D. Didn't bother me about Pikachu though, he always got scared in Glitch City anyway :D.

Guest RB26DETT
No way am i letting you get away with saying that :D:D. Pokemon Blue and Red (and Green, but basically the same game apart from the sprites) were much harder!!!! And stranger too, somehow :p. I remember i was like 7 or 8 when Yellow came out, and i remember getting home at like lunch time and just laying on my bed and playing it until about 8 that night :D:D. I accidentally released my Pikachu though, so i had to train up an Alakazam to Lv. 77 or 78. That was awesome :D. Didn't bother me about Pikachu though, he always got scared in Glitch City anyway :D.

Pikachu, what's he good against? The 2nd gym only, against the water types. You had to train another pokemon just to fight the 1st gym also because Pikachu would get pwned. :cheeky: I had Red and chose Charmander. :thumbsup:

Eeeeh! Megaman! I luff that game! X4 FTW! :thumbsup:

i was playing yellow not that long ago *blushes*

pikachu, whilst rubbish for 99% of gyms is still useful in yellow, especially for the tedious swimming parts when tentacool would rape you every 3 seconds.

I have a cousin, he's got lvl 100 of those legendary 3 birds (dang I forgot!) and Raikou, Entei, and Suicune.

If you guys played Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald he's also got lvl 100, Rayquaza, Groudon, and Kyogre.

He's also got Deoxys, Jirachi, and stuff. He's hooked believe me.

Sometimes I see threads like these, and my age shows. I don't know anything about Pikachu or Power Rangers.... mainly because I was early twenties, when these games were released.

I've met some old classics here: Stunt Car Driver was a great game. Leisure Suit Larry also. Driver was great, but there are so many old games that has been left out.

So here are a few of my favourites with a link and a short explanation:

Car games:

Pit Stop.

One of the first Formula One games. I only managed to find a link to a picture, and this is one of the later versions. The first one was all green and grey.

4D Racing

Man this was great. You could make your very own tracks with jumps, barrels and loops and everything. And the choice of cars... wow.

Quarantine

Futuristic FPS action, with great graphix, very nicely varied sceneries and the first "sandbox" driving game ever. Taxi-fare straight to hell. With guns!

Carmageddon

Another not-strictly car game, but man this was beautiful, when it arrived. Graphix and gore, and you needed a monster of a computer to run it. But if you had one, you could multiplay it.

Flight-/Space-simulators:

Elite has been mentioned, but... wow. That one blew me away.

Wing Commander

This was like watching a movie, when it came out. The plot was great, the action sequences were aweinspiring. Had me hooked for ages.

Star Wars: Tie Fighter

They started with Star Wars: X-wing, and then released TF. The latter had better controls, and a more smooth sensation. At the same time, you got to fly special missions for Vader. I've completed this game more times than any other game I've every played. I've completed it 100%. The follow-up XvT and X-Wing Alliance were also great, cause it took the experience to multiplayer.

FPS

Wolfenstein 3D

Killing nazis and facing off against Hitler as the end boss was sweet and it set the bar for every single FPS that has come since this one. And since you all know Doom, I'll swipe that into this one.

Rise of the Triads

This game improved on the stuff we had already seen. There were a sort of fake 3D going, with vertical movement through lifts and "bridges" across the landscapes. Guns were improved or at least... altered. Oh yeah. And it had "SHROOMS MODE"

Strategy:

Defender of the Crown

Now here is a true oldie. Manage your troops, invade parts of England and destroy castles with your catapult. Sweet.

Dune 2: Battle for Arakis

The format, which we know today, started with this game. Command & Conquer took the glory, but this is were it all started. Used to play this game A LOT!

Starcraft

Released in 1998, this RTS is still being played by millions today. Hailed as the best balanced game ever, the sequel is due out this year, or next. And it is the sole reason, I upgraded my PC recently.

RPGs:

Day of the Tentacle

The sequel to Maniac Mansion, and one of the best Lucasarts RPGs ever.

Police Quest

You get to play detective and solve crimes. What else do you need? Apart from wee better graphics perhaps.

Resident Evil

WHAT? WHAT IS IT?.... Ahh. The poorly done voiceacting makes a chill run down my spine. This was SO scary when it came out. Pity they made the movies, which are a complete waste of time, and that they took the series in weird direction.

Final Fantasy VII

Quite possibly the best game ever. And the clearest proof, that graphics and sound has nothing on a great story.

And here are a few random ones from my days with Amiga 500 and Commodore 64:

Alien Breed

You get to kill aliens from a top view. Who cares, that it is an unlicensed product, and that it isn't the "real" aliens.

Space Taxi

Again with the taxi. Still a fun game.

Lazy Jones

A computer game about a guy playing computer games.... how avantgarde!

North & South

I wish I was in Dixie..... Hooray, hooray....

Spy Hunter

Another awesome car game. With Guns!

I can keep it up: Winter/Summer games, Lemmings, Giana Sisters, Boulder Dash, Maniac Mansion, IK+, Another World, Cannon Fodder, It Came from the Desert and many many more.

I really liked "Chase the Express" as it was an amazing game on the PS1 and there should be a game nowadays like it or a remake but there isn't :(

Introduction :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5umpAA47kk

Part 1 :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WCu8muXjxo

Part 2 :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdXF16t84rA

Part 3 :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uw7lWP7ckw0

Part 4 :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t05GqsEjluE

Very good game and I just wish there was a remake of it or something similar as this would be a great game if in the present day with some nice graphics.

Probably nobody has played it before.

Although it was very short, it was a good game to play through and did get quite tense in parts especially with the soundtrack!