We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Alfa Romeo.... Viper?

CarMadMike

alfa-brand-viper580x.jpg

With the ink still wet on the Fiat/Chrysler deal, many auto sites (including Autoblog) have had a bit of fun prognosticating which Fiat/Alfa models would be rebadged as Chrysler products. U.K. site Autocar is reporting that Fiat is exploring bringing in Dodge models to Europe to be rebadged at Alfa Romeos. CEO Sergio Marchionne is said to be considering the move, saying that the two brands share the same core identity.

Autocar quotes Marchionne as saying that Dodge is the muscle car of the U.S. while Alfa is the muscle car of Europe, the latter being an interesting bit of positioning that we Statesiders don't normally associate with the brand. If the right Dodge-branded products were to make their way to Europe, the theory is that the Auburn Hills marque could actually bolster the products already offered by Alfa. The problem is, though, that there are few (if any) Dodge models that could reasonably be expected to perform well in Europe. The only models that are likely to be of interest are the Charger, Viper and Challenger, and the there is a chance that the Viper could soon find itself outside of the Chrysler portfolio altogether. The Charger and Challenger are likely too big for Europe as well, and would probably only sell in small numbers.

Marchionne also tells Autocar that the Chrysler group is still losing money, but the rate has slowed due to production and labor cuts.

Interesting to say the least, they don't look like alfa's at all, and lets hope they're more reliable

I'd have to agree. No matter how much business sense it would make, I think we already know that Dodge products (at the moment at least) aren't quite up to Euro quality standards, unless the only things that are carried over are platforms and drivetrains. If Alfa can find the time, money and effort to redesign them inside and out, and then build them properly, then there may be a shot

This is stupid, I wouldn't mind if they shared the same underpinnings(Maybe building a new Stealth out of a Brera?), but they don't have the same styling, hell they aren't even in the same segment(Dodge is entry level while Alfa is luxury (I think) ).

They should make the viper its own brand and sell them through alfa or fiat dealerships.

The reason I say this is that the viper can be its own brand, it doesn't use the dadge badge as such as its bades are a viper (see avatar) same with the dodge ram has a ram for its badge.

On these grounds just delete the Dodge badge of the back the vehicles. Job done. Ok this will probably only work with the 2 models I said but the rest there is no use for in the EU and will be compitition to the fiat groups other ranges.

Like I said, carry the platforms and drivetrains over, cut out those that are competing with your existing ones, save a bunch of money on development costs and just spend the rest on a redesign. If Alfa did that, I'd still buy one. If they simply did a badge swap though, then yeah i won't.

This is retarded! People who buy Alfa's are used getting quality, pretty, vehicles. Dodge do not make vehicles that have any quality or that are pretty.

I wouldn't say quality, most alfa's have loads of problems and talking to a few mechanics they look the nuts from the outside and inside but when you start looking underneath them at the main components and stuff they are anything but quality, but hopefully they are starting to get over them issues with the newer models they are bringing out.

Took the words right out of my mouth there Nick ;)

Alfa Romeo is, while maybe not literally, the heart of motoring history. They weren't only beautiful, elegant, luxurious machines, but they were also phenominal racers. Kill Alfa, and you also damage Ferrari's history, and then everything gets screwy.

(Not that I'm taking back my Ferraris are for poseurs statement or anything)