We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

McLaren boss says Veyron is "junk"

gingervette

McLaren boss calls Veyron "junk," claims Top Gear race with F1 staged

by Noah Joseph (RSS feed) on Apr 13th 2010 at 3:32PM

dennis-mp4.jpg

Ron Dennis with the McLaren MP4-12C – Click above for high-res image gallery

When you've been responsible for as many Formula One World Championships and devastatingly fast supercars – including the new McLaren MP4-12C (pictured above) – as Ron Dennis, you're entitled to speak your mind... and for others to listen up. The executive chairman and part owner of the McLaren Group, Dennis has earned a reputation for his outspoken opinion, and this time directed his criticism toward the venerable Bugatti Veyron.

In a recent interview, Dennis characterized the Veyron as a "piece of junk" and "pig ugly". Why don't you tell us how you really feel, Ron?

The speed guru went on to allege that the race staged by Top Gear between the Veyron and McLaren's own venerable F1 supercar on the streets of Abu Dhabi was exactly that... staged. According to Dennis, the McLaren had the Bugatti handily beat on every run, and that the video footage was edited to make it seem like the Veyron was the quicker of the two. Check it out after the jump and decide for yourself.

[source: Wheels24.co.za]

Here's redvette's problem

Hard as it is to believe, he think the Veyron is junk. Most people would disagree, but that is why it's called an opinion.

Saying that the Top Gear race was staged is absolutely ludacris to say. If anything, the race would be staged in favor the of McLaren. Yes, the Veyron is a heavy, heavy car. But, it has all-wheel-drive and 400 more horsies than the McLaren. The F1 never stood any kind of chance against the Veyron. I don't know if it's jealously, or if he's simply that oblivious to the world around him. But one thing is for sure, he has made quit a bold statement here.

He needs to wake up and realize his new car looks like a fish and has nothing "Mclaren" about it IMO. Plus the F1 is an older car, and for it to keep upth a fairly new car is pretty amazing to me, so he should savour that, or build something to beat the Veyron..:drool:

Pfft. Maybe he can't handle that the F1 is actually slower than the Veyron. Personally, the Veyron is better. How can he call the Veyron 'junk' when its a massive technological feat, completely out shining the MP4-C12. :confused:

Jealous much? :p

Many people have a problem with the looks of the Veyron. I don't, but I am one of only a few people lol.

You can think it's ugly, or think it's pointless, or whatever. But you cannot say it is junk, because no matter what opinion you have of the car, that statement remains incorrect.

Show me another car with a N/A engine and only 627bhp that can do over 230mph. Seriously the F1 is untouchable in what it achieved, sure there are faster cars and whatnot but most are between 800-1200bhp and turbo charged.

Sorry but the F1 still remains king of the hypercars imo.

Now to what Ron is saying, he should wake up and realise that the Veyron will kill almost anything including the F1, the way that "piece of junk" goes is truly mind boggling especially since it's full of opulence inside and not some scraggy kitcar esque lookalike like the SSC.

Top Gear fixing a race so Jeremy Clarkson's ultimate hard-on car can win? It's believable even if he made it up.

Fact is, technologically to do what McLaren/BMW did with a naturally aspirated engine is incredible. To have only been bettered by several cars since, all using multiple turbos... remarkable.

No matter how much more i love the McLaren, i would never say that the Veyron is a piece of crap, it just isn't. Ron should just get over himself, stop whining, and build something that beats the crap out of the Veyron, and that has the same quality that the F1 had to it.

That been said...

F1 really does remain the king of hypercars

F1 is an amazing car to keep up with hypercars of today. But like redvette, I'm not sure he's jealous or just stupid?! Honestly, the car's over well over ten years old now and I'm sure that he knows it's technology is inferior to that of the Veyron's. Yeah, it's fast, but the Veyron just wins!

Just shut up and build something that will match it ;)

...and not some scraggy kitcar esque lookalike like the SSC.

I had finally forgotten about that pile. :ill:

I for one am totally biased toward the F1. The Veyron is faster, but, if you reduce things (like you would a fraction), every ratio on the McF1 is better. It's just a beast.

I had finally forgotten about that pile. :ill:

I Believe im the only person that likes the SSC.... Oh and by the way, stop calling the veyron "the fastest car in the world"! Because it just isn't. The SSC went faster than it with 2 turbos and a V8 instead, of 4 turbos and 16 cyinders. IMO the SSC is a bigger feat then the Veyron, because it made 400HP more and went faster than it with less of everything. Also the SSC is 10X better looking then the Veyron from all angles, and also you saying the SSC is a pile, Is just like Ron Dennis saying the Veyron is a Pile because you all know the SSC Crushed your precious little veyron.

I Know im probally going to get -rep for this, but its completely welcome because im expressing my opinion.

I Believe im the only person that likes the SSC.... Oh and by the way, stop calling the veyron "the fastest car in the world"! Because it just isn't. The SSC went faster than it with 2 turbos and a V8 instead, of 4 turbos and 16 cyinders. IMO the SSC is a bigger feat then the Veyron, because it made 400HP more and went faster than it with less of everything.

Yeah, but technically, isn't the Veyron's engine capable of 270mph + ? Just the tires and chasis can't cope. I guess the Veyron is just more recognized.

Yeah, but technically, isn't the Veyron's engine capable of 270mph + ? Just the tires and chasis can't cope. I guess the Veyron is just more recognized.

I love all cars to death but its pretty bad when the fastest is the most hated

The SSC isn't designed to be comfortable to drive

The SSC isn't designed to be low maintenance

The SSC isn't designed to handle well AND be a rocket

Oh, and the deal sealer:

The SSC wasn't built by European engineers :p

I Believe im the only person that likes the SSC.... Oh and by the way, stop calling the veyron "the fastest car in the world"! Because it just isn't. The SSC went faster than it with 2 turbos and a V8 instead, of 4 turbos and 16 cyinders. IMO the SSC is a bigger feat then the Veyron, because it made 400HP more and went faster than it with less of everything. Also the SSC is 10X better looking then the Veyron from all angles, and also you saying the SSC is a pile, Is just like Ron Dennis saying the Veyron is a Pile because you all know the SSC Crushed your precious little veyron.

I Know im probally going to get -rep for this, but its completely welcome because im expressing my opinion.

I respect the SSC because it follows to some extent the principles of the McLaren in that it's built around going fast, where as the Veyron is build to be a fast gin palace protecting it's useless driver of an owner.

However, the SSC is unrefined, uninteresting and has no heritage whatsoever. They've not even attempted to race it iirc. The McLaren is still top of the pile in that respect. BTW, I'm not the least bit precious of the Veyron and you certainly won't get any negative rep from me. In fact I'll plus rep you for being honest and going against common opinion.

America brought the car to the people, Europe made it worth owning. (Sig material for someone I'm sure.)

Watch the Top Gear episode with James May and notice the engine could still go another 1000-1500rpm. Also the GPS hit 407.9km/h, the Veyron is supposedly limited to 407km/h. :lol:

Bugatti could easily smash the record but they just don't see the need to. The SSC is probably only better than any other hypercar on this planet .....in Top Trumps. :cheeky:

I respect the SSC because it follows to some extent the principles of the McLaren in that it's built around going fast
IMO they didn't follow McLaren at all, all they did was copy the design of 2-3 past cars, throw a Koenigsegg interior into it, lump in an engine, turbocharge it and make it light.

McLaren designed the F1 to be fast by designing the shape, creating a new design principle in the complete carbon fibre monocoque, getting BMW to design and build a bespoke engine and lining it with gold for brilliant heat dissipation, planting the driver right in the middle for not only an F1 like focus and experience but for also weight distribution and then making do with what they had and getting the most speed out of it without adding more everytime. They said this is what we have to work with, let's do it and they did and way better than anyone could have imagined.

So no offence but I think saying SSC followed McLaren in anyway is completely insulting to Gordon Murray and the McLaren F1 team who created an absolute masterpiece from scratch and not just some kitcar reject lookalike with a ton of power. :cool:

Yes.

Bugatti actually had an even faster Veyron that was supposed to come out this year but it has been delayed. They are not sure they want to build it.

It think it was going to be called the Super Sports or something like that. It had 200 more hp than the regular Veyron and was tested (by Bugatti) at 278 mph.

I thought Bugatti was never interested in breaking the SSC's record, so maybe that's why they didn't build it. Either way, it's still more than capable of more speed lol.

But McLaren is still better.