We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Speedtest.net is wrong... sortof

TimBud

I'll often run random tests on my line.

I pay for a 16mb connection but today it wasn't capped:

790642373.png

:eek2:

Shame my upload speed is truly capped at 1mb

Tried it again just to make sure I wasn't seeing things... and to check I'd not broken SpeedTest ( ;) ):

790650723.png

Even my result to London is was better than normal:

790647421.png

NewYork speed is more like it :p

790649492.png

Wonder what speeds I'll get if I upgrade to the "30mb" line :confused::D

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh completely. :p

My ISP is shocking. The line should be capped, and I put more faith in speedtest than them. But I've never reached speeds higher than 20mb before so today I was just a little shocked.

Everytime I have a problem they can't deal with it on the phone and tell I have to go to their local office (which is 45mins away), who then say I could've just called the helplines... Always amusing.

I used to whine about my BT connection :p

I used to whine about my BT connection :p

I think we're meant to have up-to 20MB, but we're actually getting 6.2MB as of thirty minutes ago on BT.

Although, saying that, it isn't peak time and I usually get between 500-800kb/s when downloading something at around this time which I can live with. I just cringe every time my download speed during downloads drops to below 250kb/s.

BT got really rubbish last Summer. I monitored it every day and we were getting 1-1.5MB on SpeedTest.net. In typical British fashion I was about to write an angry letter of complaint but then it magically got better again.

I know it depends on the area you live in but I really hate being done over this way. Paying for something and never actually getting it. As soon as fibre optic comes to this part of the country (if it does), I'll be changing to that as soon as possible.

At least here we do get the stated line speed all the time. Except when there's one of the random disconnections.

Am on fibreoptic and they're trying to upgrade the whole area to it. But they have no concern if they loose connections while they do it. Everything is a complete bodge job.

Eugh, Speedtest.net. Flash based speed tests are usually inaccurate. Look for a Java based speedtest that has a server in your country.

I've often had 50mb+ from speedtest.net when I know that my line physically can't go over 4.5mbps now. :(

I used to have Sky and although it wasn't great (my area sucks for ADSL) it was never that bad. :/

I don't think it really matters much which broadband provider you choose when you live where me, Mistermojo and T3hReaper live. Our area has pretty much been left in the dark ages when it comes to internet services.

I went to see my auntie last week, she lives in Banbury and she was downloading a program at 1.5MB per second solidly. I'd have loved to of seen what her speed results were on Speedtest.net.

The highest I've seen was during the Christmas holidays when I think my download speed topped out at 1036kb/s while downloading something at 10am in the morning, albeit for a fraction of a second.

Yea, I feel your pain. I eventually took the plunge and told my parents I was going to pay for cable, it's been worth it. I appreciate though that not everyone has that option and Virgin are not extending the network which is pathetic.

If you use an Internet Proxy on your LAN you can get insane results, as the LAN connection gets measured instead of the Internet one. I've been told that I'm downloading stuff at 10MB (not Mb) per seoncd. Which i guessing that far off your first 72Mbps reading. I average about 3Mbps, but since I've gone over my monthly limit already, my speed is...

792295865.png

Yes, that's just over Dial-up speed - 60Kbps. My old ISP would slow us down to 128Kbps if we went over. :( Thanks goodness for Opera 10.5 and Turbo mode. ;)

I am unable to get ADSL2+ with any provider (which in itself is Telstra's fault, I know they suck). Used to be with iPrimus on pretty much the same plan (only it was 1.5mbps instead of 3 (out of a possible 8), and Telstra (unbelievably) was cheaper.

No matter who we go with, speed will always be a problem at this house. If I could choose, I'd go with TPG and get a 50GB (or more) ADSL2 plan.