We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Test Drive Unlimited 2 Open Beta coming!!

Eudemon

people crying that opponents play like noobs rather than proper technical feedback.

Well I've seen nothing but that happening in GTA IV multiplayer, together with all the cheating and the fact I get owned before I respawned (my trademark :p

), so as I'm used to that I can fully concentrate on the game itself xD

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure if I'd rather like a closed or open beta. I remember being really excited with the open beta of the first one.. It was a good way to anticipate the game even more because you could talk with your friends while playing like "oh look at this, looks fantastic!" and all that. Bugs didn't matter much tbh, you were just happy you could finaly give the game a shot.

I guess a closed beta would frustrate some people but I'd understand why it would be closed since the content is huge...

Sorry if this has been asked before, but what exactly is an open beta? How does it differ from a closed beta and how does it differ from just releasing a demo?

How I've always is interpreted it is;

An open beta is one that is open to applicants. You can submit your details and if you're lucky you'll be chosen. Anyone is welcome to apply.

A closed beta is where you are chosen, or only select people are allowed to apply.

A demo is available to anyone, no need to apply or be chosen.

An open beta is one that is open to applicants. You can submit your details and if you're lucky you'll be chosen. Anyone is welcome to apply.

A closed beta is where you are chosen, or only select people are allowed to apply.

No, if i'm wrong say so, but I think the difference is:

Open beta : anyone can download the beta and get a key to play, there are no restrictions. It's like a demo, but you get the full game instead :)

Closed beta : only a few people get a key to play (typically this means registering on a website and if you're lucky you'll get a key)

Yea nothing is written in stone, although I think you are off on the closed aspect.

Wiki delivers this verdict:

Open and closed beta

Developers release either a closed beta or an open beta; closed beta versions are released to a select group of individuals for a user test, while open betas are to a larger community group, usually the general public.

Im guessing having a open/closed beta could be interpreted in both ways, as i am currently part of another games closed beta and for that I had to sign up to show interest in the game then I was picked, but before that i was under the impression that in a closed beta only a select few were chosen for the game

Either way I think this beta should be taken seriously as die-hard fans that we are, this game needs to be the best as it can be, as i have seen too many times people in a beta test just to piss about and complain, without any real feedback to the developers

And I also have the feeling a beta actually has more communication between devs and players for improvements.

No, if i'm wrong say so, but I think the difference is:

Open beta : anyone can download the beta and get a key to play, there are no restrictions. It's like a demo, but you get the full game instead :)

Closed beta : only a few people get a key to play (typically this means registering on a website and if you're lucky you'll get a key)

Thanks for the replies guys! :) I think I understand the difference now...

I can wait till the finished game is gold... I hope :p

I'm kind of with Diablo on this one.

if its an open beta, it will be hard to control the flood of irrelvant whining. making it even harder to wean out the legitimate communications.

The only real reason for an open beta it (as I see it) is to stress test the servers.

Being that TDU2 is openworld, I'd imagine they want to keep alot of things under wraps until release. So again an open beta would make that information harder to control.

A closed beta participant would probably have to sign some non-disclosure agreement.

Besides all this, when a game has reached beta stage, it almost certainly pretty complete. All the major bug finding/fixing is always done at alpha stages anyway.

:)

The only real reason for an open beta it (as I see it) is to stress test the servers.

Then I think it's good to make perhaps one closed beta and one open beta. That way they won't struggle too much with serverproblems so they can aim more people at the DLC programme.

surely the definition of beta is variable and dependant on the content dictated by the developers?

what you get - how long for - how many are involved - where those involved will play etc.

concrete terms for "beta" beyond an example of 'playing the game with the intention of supplying feedback' isn't needed for such a vague word in my book...