We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Toyota chief test driver killed near Nurburgring accident with BMW Series 3

EmKill

Have some respect and the whole stuck accelerator thing is getting old guys, leave it be.

We can only judge it from the aftermath we see. Looking at the road condition, weather and location it's hard to believe this was caused by anything other than grave human error, complacency or pushing the limits, if my understanding is correct this occurred on a public road which makes it more worrying.

Do I personally care? No. Will I shed a tear? No. Is it tragic? YES!

Maybe I'll be more forgiving as more information arises. I do however feel very sorry for the BMW guys.

The pedal joke however, is old.

Is it me or it looks like a LF-A roadster?

Anyway, sad news.

It was a limited edition "Nurburgring" LF-A.

Its most likely a human error than anything else, he's over 65 which is the retiring age for most jobs along with the fact that Japan is a RHD country and Germany is LHD, and I doubt Toyota will put the same pedals they use in their mainstream cars in the LFA, and they have already been fixed.

Tragic indeed. What I can't get though is how there could be 1 death and 2 seriously injured from that accident. Yes, being test drivers, they may well have been pushing hard and traveling at quite a high rate of speed when they collided, but the passenger compartments of both vehicles seem perfectly intact. Furthermore, as far as i know, all development LF-As have been LHD, so it doesn't look like Naruse-san's side of the car bore the brunt of the impact. Something tells me that it wasn't the impact itself that killed him (possibly heart attack)?

And about him being 67: his driving skills and reactions are almost definitely a damn sight better than 90% of drivers on the roads, so I don't think the "he's old" argument really applies

They stated none of them have exceeded the speed limit during the crash (60mph) but it was a head-on collision so two speeds sums and we got 120mph to 0mph in an instant. 67 years old body hardly could take such stress without deadly implications. Maybe he got a hart attack as an after effect.

I found this in web

As a fatal premonition, Naruse said on May 26: "When we raced the LFA in Nardo, Italy, I thought I might not return to Japan alive. The purpose of this ‘test’ was to evaluate the car’s durability at 200 mph for a long period. The race was in the dark with no lights on the track, plus there were birds flying at me – and imagine if a tire burst! We created the final LFA through these kinds of test experiences."