We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

First trailer of American Top gear has been released!

gingervette

Video: First trailer for U.S. Top Gear!

by Alex Nunez (RSS feed) on Aug 7th 2010 at 12:33PM

tgusamoonshine.jpg

U.S. Top Gear trailer - Click above to watch the video

after the jump

You all know that the long-awaited U.S. version of Top Gear is headed to The History Channel, and now it's time to get your first taste of the show. The first trailer for the show is online, and if it's any indication, Tanner Foust, Rutledge Wood and Adam Ferrara are going to win over viewers, and the program will not stray from the BBC original's successful formula of cool tests and zany challenges.

In fact, one of the new show's challenges is the trailer's centerpiece. In involves the hosts determining the best $1,000 car by putting a trio of them through a punishing "moonshine run" dirt course. The ride selected for the teaser is Ferrara's, the airborne 1976 Cadillac Deville Calais seen above (it could be a '75, but we're pretty certain that's the '76 grille pattern). How does a malaise-era Caddy handle a landing after catching that much air? About as well as you'd imagine - this isn't the make-believe world of '70s cop shows, after all. It's hilarious.

Bottom line: The hosts exude great chemistry and the motoring action is pretty much everything you'd want and expect from a program calling itself Top Gear. Still under wraps, however, is the Stig. The suspense is killing us. This looks like a completely fun show. Hit the jump to see for yourselves. Thanks to Chris for the tip!

[source:

]

Personally, I am excited for it. Autoblog do not tend to give compliments lightly, so it must be pretty good from their point of view lol. With no Jeremy Clarkson, Richard Hammond, or James may, it doesn't really seem right. But it will be nice to get a review of some American cars from an honest point of view :D

"167 MPH in a four door!" Wow dude congrats. It looks ok but I can tell the chunky guy with a bad taste in clothes is going to be annoying,I like Tanner Foust though. I'll probably watch it when its on but It won't even hold a candle to the British version. I wonder who gets to be the "American Clarkson"?

It looks alright but it's not Top Gear so then don't call it Top Gear. They need to find a new name and not tie their show to Top Gear. Also, I'm hoping it'll be a damnsight better than TG Australia turned out to be. Not difficult to do better than that show...

It doesn't looks as much as 'Clarkson, Hammond and May with funny accents' as teh australian one, which is a good thing, and the moonshine challenge looks pretty fun... But it does look like it was all recorded on a camera phone, seriously, the epic shots of the morgan and the lambo just don't work because the fidelity just isn't there.

Edit: Does the moonshine run scream 'brainiac' to any of you? The way they shout and the chemistry they have is just so similar

I will probably never ever ever watch that.. They have stolen the name for the show and imo it just looks like crap, And i dont feel the urge to laugh like i do when i watch the ORIGINAL Top Gear..

I was reading a column by an automotive journalist who was interviewed for the show, and what he said was that the station executives who were there kept trying to get him to say that he would be a "Captain Slow" figure. He realized that all they wanted to do was copy the original (a show of which he is a fan), moment for moment. Infuriated with this, he replied that he was not Captain Slow, and had once beat Dale Earnhart Jr. around a track in a Corvette Z06, gone 200 on the autobahn, and a host of other automotive achievements.

The executives did not hire him.

-Leadfoot

Why do you say that? IMO, he's probably the most talented/natural of the current bunch of American rally/drifting/X-Games racing drivers. Ken Block, for all his drool-worthy Gymkhana videos, essentially bought his way into motorsports with the money he made from DC Shoes, while Travis Pastrana migrated to rally only because he'd already broken every single bone in his body doing motocross stunts, and that driving a rally car was safer (not every day you hear a comment like that, but what the hey).

As for TG USA, I'll probably still watch it even if it turns out no good. It's 3 guys cocking about in cars, what more could you want, you xenophobic, closed-minded, "only Clarkson, Hammond and May can do Top Gear" numpties... :rolleyes: At the very least, just give it a chance before completely writing it off right?

And for the record, I did find TG Oz fairly entertaining. Certainly not as good as the originals but nowhere near as bad as the TG fanboys are proclaiming

It's just not the same. And that bit at the start about it being an internationally acclaimed hit is just false advertising imo. If they were showing reruns of the real Top Gear then that would be ok, but it's a whole new version so it's not applicable.