We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Playing as Taliban Controversial in new Medal of Honor

iLLGT3

EA's upcoming "Medal of Honor" shooter series reboot lets gamers play as allied or oppositional forces in a contemporary war theater.

The allies in this case are U.S. Army Rangers. The theater is Afghanistan. And so the opposition, not surprisingly, is the Taliban.

That's not sitting well with some. The trouble stems not from the Taliban's inclusion in the game, but EA's decision to let you play as

them in online multiplayer dustups. In essence, critics imply that it's okay for one side to shoot the other on ideological or moral grounds, but say that it's "disrespectful" to allow players to play as the enemy — in this case, the Taliban —and shoot back.

100817-medal_of_honor-hmed-1058a.grid-6x2.jpg

The rest is here: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38740099/ns/technology_and_science-games/

And my opinion, who cares! :rolleyes:

Hey guys I've had an amazing idea!! Let's allow them to play as the terrorists, Infinity Ward never thought of that!!.

Seriously.. EA are getting beyond pathetic. First adding a Vietnam add on to BFBC 2 the same time Black Ops launches, then having a trailer featuring the music of a big name artist in the background, now letting you play as the enemy.

I know you can only be so original in a war game but really??

Tbh Battlefield Vietnam was a brilliant game, so funny and very fun to play so if they bring some of that back then I could see myself maybe sniffing it out. As for CoD that game is just too baby like in it's gameplay, perhaps a strange thing to say about a game that's for 12 or 16+ or whatnot but the game plays more like SmashTV than you would expect a war based shooter.

I'll stick to Ubisoft and perhaps even DICE for the whole need to play as a team type of game style I personally prefer.

What if you're a taliban and want to play as yourself?

I think all of this controversy is uncalled for. It's fine to play a game where you can go around shooting other people, who just so happen to be from a different country. But as soon as you try for a bit of variation on the matter, get jumped on for it??

A load of testicles if you ask me.

People are still gonna play it. I'll play it. Don't care really. Just waiting for CoD to make us Imran Zakhaev's right hand man and tell the people his story. Would be awesome considering the bad guys are always a step ahead in recent CoDs or so it seems.

Hey guys I've had an amazing idea!! Let's allow them to play as the terrorists, Infinity Ward never thought of that!!.

Seriously.. EA are getting beyond pathetic. First adding a Vietnam add on to BFBC 2 the same time Black Ops launches, then having a trailer featuring the music of a big name artist in the background, now letting you play as the enemy.

I know you can only be so original in a war game but really??

EA first launched the "medal of honor" series before COD became abroad. Does anyone remember allied assault i loved and worshiped that game. you can play as the nazi's. Damn, i hate that COD has gotten so much popular...

Oh yea, I know MoH was the original however these days MoH seems to be aspiring to be a carbon copy.

The reason Allied Assault was good was due to it being made by 2015, Inc. under EA. Various key members left 2015, Inc to form Inifinity Ward under Activision and create Call of Duty and the Modern Warfare series. They then left Activision after Modern Warfare 2 only to go and rejoin EA under the name Respawn Studios.

It is rather hard to keep up I'll admit. :S

Oh yea, I know MoH was the original however these days MoH seems to be aspiring to be a carbon copy.

The reason Allied Assault was good was due to it being made by 2015, Inc. under EA. Various key members left 2015, Inc to form Inifinity Ward under Activision and create Call of Duty and the Modern Warfare series. They then left Activision after Modern Warfare 2 only to go and rejoin EA under the name Respawn Studios.

It is rather hard to keep up I'll admit. :S

Hm wow did not know that lol.

What if you're a taliban and want to play as yourself?

I think all of this controversy is uncalled for. It's fine to play a game where you can go around shooting other people, who just so happen to be from a different country. But as soon as you try for a bit of variation on the matter, get jumped on for it??

A load of testicles if you ask me.

Pretty much this.

People kill people in computer games all the time, what does it matter where they're from. Besides, there is no 'good' team in real life war.

I suppose it has come at a bad time though seeing as the number of Nato and US casualties have been escalating in Afghanistan lately. No doubt if I knew someone who had been affected I would feel differently.

EA first launched the "medal of honor" series before COD became abroad. Does anyone remember allied assault i loved and worshiped that game. you can play as the nazi's. Damn, i hate that COD has gotten so much popular...

yeah I do , and spearhead was my favourite actually. Though that was back in time while EA was a sensible company.

Typical. I hate these kinds of idiots who blatantly bash games, but they don't say boo about other stuff.

It's more this than anything else that irritates me here. Yes, I understand how that's bad - it depicts people slaughtering other people. But what about all the other games that depict the other people slaughtering the people? No politician says anything about demoting the wars they want to support, but the moment someone does it shows it inversely, they get all hot under their collars.

This reminds me of a school lunch discussion I had some years ago. My friends and I were talking about how common violence was or something to that effect. One of them spoke up and said, "Oh, my grandfather killed about a dozen people. Eleven or twelve, I think," and the whole table fell silent until I replied, "Oh, so he was in the military?" and she said yes. And then everyone just exhaled and went back to their discussions! One (and I kid you not here) actually said "Oh, that's okay."

It's scary when you think about how biased our culture really makes us.

-Leadfoot