We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Ferrari 458 Recall

TimBud

Ferrari issues 458 Italia recall

Ferrari has issued an official recall for its 458 Italia following a spate of fires that destroyed a handful of cars.

Speaking to TopGear.com, a Ferrari spokesman said the company had investigated the five reported incidents of spontaneous fires in the 458, and traced the problem to materials in the wheel arch lining and heat shield.

According to Ferrari, the glue securing the wheel arch lining and heat shield can melt and deform when under high operating temperatures. When this comes into contact with the exhaust, "the glue can smoke and the wheel arch liner can ignite".

Ferrari has notified all 458 owners informing them of the fix - which takes around half a day - and involves securing the wheel arch liner with bolts and screws instead of glue. All future 458 Italias will be built in this way.

The spokesman confirmed "1,248 Ferrari 458 Italias have been recalled worldwide, with approximately 50 in the UK".

The five "acknowledged" 458s totally destroyed by fire will be replaced, Ferrari said, "at no cost to the client".

Was going to buy one this weekend, but don't think I'll bother anymore.

:(

Wonder what the response will be from the press/public (aside from thousand of threads like this one).

Its likely though that they'll bring in the FIA and blame McLaren.

Source

Some more info from CNN

Since when did Ferrari use glue on their cars? I thought the only car that was glued together was the Tata Nano :confused:

The Corvette used glue in some parts of the bodywork to hold it together(The targa roof for example)

Back on topic... its kind of funny that the heat shield is the cause of the fires in this car. :lol: at least they're addressing the issue quickly, unlike Toyota and their sticky pedals.

If I'm correct the Lotus Elise has its body glued to the chassis.

There are a lot of cars that use glue. :) In fact, most body panels on cheap cars (not just lightweight sports cars) are plastic and utilize glue.

Slight aside/offtopic: My friend's dad owns the carbon-fiber manufacturing company that makes the body panels for the Corvette (base, Z06 and ZR1) and the Shelby GT500/KR/Super Snake (they also make Kevlar armor, but that's not important right now :cheeky: ), and for his Science project one year, he brought in the front quarter panel of a base C6 and a Z06 (there was no ZR1 at this time), and compared them. You think plastic would be pretty light, right? The carbon fiber felt about a quarter of the weight! And all that is, basically, is fiber and glue.

Slight more offtopic: I was able to say the thing at his booth for a while, because I already knew more about his topic (uses of carbon fiber) than he did. :cheeky:

-Leadfoot