We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Had a Good Day? Post Your Story Here!

Ryzza5

Car insurance sorted for another year. Had to pay a little bit more than I was quoted online by other companies as my current insurer offers me a lot more cover than anyone else. Still managed to get £20 off their original renewal price though and it's half what I paid this time last year.

Also going to look at/test drive the MK7 Golf today as well.

• Replies 934
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ask James if you can borrow his tie camera for me :)

Mk7 doesn't arrive here until March/April

:p

Ended up having a spin in a 2.0TDI 150BHP model. Nice car, like the interior, still not sold on the exterior. Goes well enough, had to pull out of a short slip-road on to a dual carriageway so that was a good excuse to give it some beans up to 70/80MPH. Felt effortless compared to the 306, but the 306 only has 90BHP.

Where it doesn't win for me though is handling and steering/pedal feel. I just feel too detached from everything. I had the same problem with the Polo courtesy car my mum had and the Mk6 Golf, no doubt it's the same for most newish cars these days, but I don't like it. It just feels like everything is floating, rather than the car actually being connected to the road. I can feel what type of road surface I'm on in the 306 and I know what the wheels are doing. The 306 just feels like a much better driver's car despite it being a 20+ year old design with decrepit front suspension.

They had a TSI GT there as well, but I was more interested in the diesels as per normal :p

I won't be buying a brand new car anyway to be honest. Don't have the funds to buy a brand new car outright and I'd get fed up with monthly payments through finance as well so it's completely out of the question for me. My mum said she was going as she's looking to upgrade shortly so I went a long and had a test drive as well despite knowing I wouldn't be buying one, but it's all in good fun :p

I've still got my mind set on getting BMW 330D, but my problem is that I've decided I want a particular exterior/interior colour combination which seems to be as difficult as finding hen's teeth at the moment as everyone must've liked re-sale black/grey/silver back in 2003/4 :(

I've still got my mind set on getting BMW 330D, but my problem is that I've decided I want a particular exterior/interior colour combination which seems to be as difficult as finding hen's teeth at the moment as everyone must've liked re-sale black/grey/silver back in 2003/4 :(

I'm no BMW expert.. but I was looking at 330Ds and found out that they're very unreliable, I think the engine being the main cause. Just a ducks up.

*heads

What combination are you looking for then? E46's are good looking cars in any combination. :)

I personally really like the look of Le Mans or Mystic blue with a beige leather interior and one of the darker woods for the door/dash trim. The only one I've found with almost this combination is a lesser '02 5-speed 184BHP example, but it has the dark carbon/cube trim instead of wood. I found another one in blue yesterday, but it's got black leather with a lighter carbon/cube trim, but it's the full-fat 6-speed 204BHP model. I understand the trims are easy enough to swap, but I'd rather not do it if it's possible. I'm the only one who seems to like the beige/wood combination out of my entire family, but we're all agreed on blue though :p

I'm aware of all the problems that I may face with a 330D, but I'm really liking the look of the facelift Sport models at the moment. I'm eliminating one possible problem by looking for a manual over the more common automatics which I keep reading like to lunch themselves. Obviously there's the swirl-flaps as well. I suspect if I get one I'll look back and ask myself how a French car was more reliable than a BMW after a few months, but I don't care as I don't spend my earnings on much else so I might as well get a car I really want (within reason) regardless.

Le Mans Blue is great! But personally I prefer Estoril Blue, because it's not an usual blue color imho. It's an intersting color. Speaking of the interior, this combination is yummy. I wouldn't mind if it has dark wood or aluminium trim, you can swap them easily (I bet there are many trims laying on ebay!)...

I know you're a diesel fan and its MPG is really good, but gasoline inline six's are very reliable. I know an E90 with 200k miles on the clock and it's still running without any failures.

Look at this 330d. I don't know how much you want to spend and it is Oriental Blue, but seems it is in a good conditition.

Yeah, I've seen that one already, if it's had all the work done that has been claimed then it could be a good buy. I've only ever seen Estoril Blue on the 3-Series Clubsport unfortunately, as I agree it's a nice colour.

Currently liking this even though the interior is not the colour I was looking for. I just find that the black with silver trim looks too clinical and cold, but I can easily live with it.

• 2 weeks later...

w00t, I finally managed to clean the car after I had to leave it last weekend as there was too much snow an ice about, I didn't fancy turning the road in to an even bigger ice rink.

I've been going crazy over the last week seeing how dirty the car was, I seriously think I've got a really bad obsession with cleaning the car :(

Over the weekend I got to drive to my friends house in Arizona whom I haven't seen in a few months because he moved schools. It was a 4 hour drive from my house in California, the most time I've driven alone since I got my license. It was good to hang out with an old friend, but the drive to and from his house was one of the best highlights of the weekend.

• 2 weeks later...

I know most people hate Valentines day and I usually do, but today was totally different. I decided to get a box of chocolates for a girl I'm quite fond of and it all went better than expected. Its safe to say she loved it, especially since it was a total surprise. I didn't even think of doing it till last night

A lovely sunny day, clear blue skies, but not boiling hot like it normally is with this sort of weather so it gave me a chance to try out some of my Gtechniq P1 polish and also put some more wax on the car.

Also rotated the wheels/tyres on my sisters car as she said the tread on the front ones was getting low. When she said "Low" I pictured the tyres just being slightly above the wear indicators, but no, I took the first front one off and the inside shoulder is completely bald, the whole tyre is on the wear indicators all the way around and apart from the grooves there isn't much else there. The other tyre was the same, they might as well be slicks. She didn't seem too bothered to start with, but I soon changed her mind when I said they're almost definitely illegal and they need changing as soon as possible or she'll get stopped by police and get a fine for each tyre. I was almost tempted to hand her some money so she could go and buy two new tyres as she said she doesn't have enough money, but her boyfriend said he'd pay for them and get them changed as soon as possible so hopefully he will do.

It's a good job I agreed to rotate them this weekend.

How was the Gtechniq? :)

It's great stuff, it didn't take long to see it making a difference and I was only using a Zaino Tri-Foam hand applicator, so when Spring actually kicks in I might crack out the machine polisher and see what I can do with that. I only tried it out on the bonnet as I had all of this mass tyre changing to do, but the polish was starting to work its magic on a couple of the deeper scratches. The other polishes I have didn't even touch the deeper scratches so I'll definitely be keeping the Gtechniq stuff as the main polish. Luckily the rest of the paintwork is still quite shiny and full of reflections so I don't have to worry about having a stupidly shiny bonnet with every other panel on the car looking dull :p

I've got a week off soon so if it's sunny I might go to town on the whole car and clay bar it, etc. ready for Spring/Summer. I need to get the mechanicals sorted out first ideally.

It was yesterday that I wanted to drive and enjoy the weather, but had a pain in my back. So I thought that I should take a long walk through the dunes of a part in Holland, so I did. But the walk seemed longer than I thought. (Actually I think it was about 8 or 9 km.) But the pain in my back was gone. But the other thing was, that now I had a few blisters on my feet. But after all it was a nice day. And I loved driving there and back home because the road wasn't too bussy and altough I had some blisters, it was worth it.

And BTW there was this intersection where I saw a beige BMW M3, grey Subaru WRX STi. And where a black Ferrari F430 drove just behind me... So after all it was a nice day for driving... and walking.

So that was my story. I hope it was inspiring and that you liked it.