We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

TDU2's First 10 Minutes of Hell

Elder_of_Lyons

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everyone has different approaches towards what videogames should be. Personally, and specially in the genre of racing I think the goal should be to get everything as close to reality as possible. When I write a post, I normally divide everything into various sentences so it can be easier to comment on. Naturally, I expect people to say what they think about I write, for example "I think the engine sounds are bad!" (reply - I don't think so, some seem very real, they tried various ways of bla bla bla...). But what normally happens, not only here but in every forum, is that because of the fact no one is talking face to face, people tend towards mocking and telling to shut up and sending subjects to various places I shall not pronounce.

I am not asking for anyone to agree with me, just THINK before you write! I admit I am quite aggressive and that some calmer and more conformist people think I am happy with nothing. The point being, I am asking for everybody to just comment if you have anything objective and constructive to say. I am not an expert in programming, not even close, but I think I still have the right, as a fan and a buyer, to share my opinions and criticisms, as this forum is to me, the closest thing I have to talking with an actual EDEN programmer. At least I hope someone is actually reading what we, fans, write.

I want to end my post with some words for those who think I exaggerate in my pursuit for realism. I think we must always aim for best possible, that way we can achieve something greater. If everyone thought little, we would still be cavemen trying to figure out what is that bright and hot thing that happens when a lighting hits a tree.

Everyone has different approaches towards what videogames should be. Personally, and specially in the genre of racing I think the goal should be to get everything as close to reality as possible. When I write a post, I normally divide everything into various sentences so it can be easier to comment on. Naturally, I expect people to say what they think about I write, for example "I think the engine sounds are bad!" (reply - I don't think so, some seem very real, they tried various ways of bla bla bla...). But what normally happens, not only here but in every forum, is that because of the fact no one is talking face to face, people tend towards mocking and telling to shut up and sending subjects to various places I shall not pronounce.

I am not asking for anyone to agree with me, just THINK before you write! I admit I am quite aggressive and that some calmer and more conformist people think I am happy with nothing. The point being, I am asking for everybody to just comment if you have anything objective and constructive to say. I am not an expert in programming, not even close, but I think I still have the right, as a fan and a buyer, to share my opinions and criticisms, as this forum is to me, the closest thing I have to talking with an actual EDEN programmer. At least I hope someone is actually reading what we, fans, write.

I want to end my post with some words for those who think I exaggerate in my pursuit for realism. I think we must always aim for best possible, that way we can achieve something greater. If everyone thought little, we would still be cavemen trying to figure out what is that bright and hot thing that happens when a lighting hits a tree.

You say you want to aim for the best possible and I believe that is what they did. You can aim high, but you need to learn to take what you get. Do you really think Eden said "I want good exhaust sounds but just for the hell of it we'll put in crappy ones"? There are obviously limitations in creating a game, especially from a company like Eden, I'm sure they don't have billions behind them to allow them to do everything they and we want.

I know EDEN doesn't have that much money or resources, specially compared to Polyphony or EA. That is why I loved TDU in the first place, its amazing to see such a small company aim towards a project more ambitious than the ones from the big shots. I haven't complained about them losing Maserati or Lamborghini because I know its not their fault, I also know that with the money and resources they have, they still deliver a great game, better than most other racing games, maybe the best at some points.

However its frustrating to see that some important points of the game are still really bad. I mean, the unreal engine sounds, the sense of speed and the low traffic. Its so difficult to cope with the fact that my favourite racing game can't nail it at some of the most important points in a racing game. You must understand that a game this big and this different makes us wonder how far it could go and how real it could be. I also understand that its annoying for someone who is actually happy with the game, to have to read complains over and over, that don't change anything but our own idea of what the game could have been.

I would be very happy if the game had more traffic to add up to the atmosphere and make cruising around more fun. I would like the engine sounds and sense of speed to be better and of course much more cars via DLCs. I am not asking for sim like physics and a 1000 cars, I just want the game to look and feel more realistic.

Hey, I'm gonna buy the game anyway, I just complain because I wish things were better. I assure EDEN I will pay for every TDU, cause its a project worth paying for.:thumbsup:

More cars + peds require more Internet bandwidth to sync them between the server and all the players. You could in theory increase the traffic in offline mode - but then you need a better video card to keep up, I'm not sure how fully utilized the console hardware is.

GTA 4 has no problem with 16 players online though....

I wouldn't care if the pedestrians had bad textures and all, I really think its a feature they could think of for the next TDU, and of course the traffic option (None, Low, Normal, High). I would also like if they kept Ibiza for the next game, it seems like the perfect location, it has desert and forest, sea and mountain, modern cities and old villages, highways and narrow streets, it was a wise choice.:D

Also, GTA doesn't have near the level of detail of TDU2 and I'll go out on a limb and say the world is smaller as well.

GTA is much more detailed. There are fire hydrants, lamp posts, benches, hot dog stands, road work stuff, mailboxes, trashcans, boxes, dead cats, Michael Jackson, a claustrophobic mouse, and all the sushi you could ever want.

But yeah it's smalller.

Also, GTA doesn't have near the level of detail of TDU2 and I'll go out on a limb and say the world is smaller as well.

LC is indeed smaller, I bet even SA is smaller.

Then again, GTA has loads of cars which are all as much detailed as another and you have loads of high-detail interiors straight available to walk into unlike TDU's lowpoly displays, and GTA has peds everywhere.

GTA is much more detailed. There are fire hydrants, lamp posts, benches, hot dog stands, road work stuff, mailboxes, trashcans, boxes, dead cats, Michael Jackson, a claustrophobic mouse, and all the sushi you could ever want.

But yeah it's smalller.

More detailed as far as "stuff" yes, but think about the car detail in TDU2. You're driving a car where even the seat stitching is seen, that's a lot more than GTA has.

Yeah but all this "stuff" in GTA 4 is breakable or movable and in the end GTA 4 needs more processing power for a reason.

I'll give you that, though TDU2 is also integrated whereas GTA has lobbies. I bet that helps a lot, in TDU the game never knows what it might have to render next.

Either way I'm sure it's technical restrictions keeping them from doing it, I very highly doubt they would limit it to 8 players if they could have 16 unless it drastically restricted gameplay which I bet is what happened.

My opinion about TDU2 is that it will be a cool game no matter what. First of all there's a tremendous amount of effort behind it (as there was with TDU) and even with bugs and gliches, TDU is one of the best recing games there ever was for the pc. And thank god for this forum and for the good people who have the "bug" of improving upon things to take the whole TDU experience to a whole new level; I've only dowloaded a few sound mods for my fave cars and.. wow! the game felt 5 times better

Same thing will happen with TDU2. There are always a lot to be desired from every game, ever released. Main reason for that: software companies have to compromise on what kind of pc setups their customers have: not all people have high end gfx cards and powerful setups that can "hold" and display properly (aka creating a proper illusion) a world full of details like the one we live in.

As for realism, my humble opinion is that if TDU was all about realism I would hated it. I love doing one-button drifts in racing games, I love to slide the tail like a pro with ease. it brings a smile to my face doing that and that is exactly what I want from a game. If I wanted ultra realism I would go and buy any SimBin title, cause they are hardcore about realism... so much that they miss the whole point of a computer game. And to be honest there's no reason for such realism when you sit on your desk and simply cannot feel the forces of actual driving... What good is to have to watch the exact speed and rpm in order to take a corner perfectly, if your role is like an external observer - you are not feeling the momentum of the action you just have to respond to various gauge readings more or less.

Anyways, as I said TDU was tops for me from the point it got released. The thing I hate most about it is it's so ignorant and stupid traffic cars :) Then again it is always a challenge that keeps me coming back for more during the last 3 years. And I think TDU2 will be equally good

Another thing to remember is that GTA IV was made by Rockstar games, who probably had a substantially larger budget and development team to code the networking side of the game.

Yes that's true but Eden already figured out all what was needed for 8 players online in TDU1, so I just don't understand why they couldn't improve that over the years of development of TDU2.

Even more so that computer technologies have been upgraded since 2006.

Anyway, I have no doubt that TDU2 will be awesome. It's just the best possible concept of an arcade-style racing game imo.

Yes that's true but Eden already figured out all what was needed for 8 players online in TDU1, so I just don't understand why they couldn't improve that over the years of development of TDU2.

Even more so that computer technologies have been upgraded since 2006.

Anyway, I have no doubt that TDU2 will be awesome. It's just the best possible concept of an arcade-style racing game imo.

Probably because while computer hardware has changed, they are still making it for the same consoles.

Haha the 360 could handle 10+ no problem, people have had it when the server count glitch happens. I've been in an instance in TDU with 12 before and they were all Japanese. lol

TDU/2 is p2p, this is the issue, if they could go dedicated then more could be shown on screen due to the server doing the work rather than having to wait for everyone's machine to connect to the host machine and back.

I think multiplayer is taking over videogames, and its not helping at all for the overall quality. I know socialization and playing online is important and fun, but I think its compromising the final quality of most games. Personaly I think its more important to have a solid and realistic experience than to grow a big ego just because I won a race against someone online. I know TDU is all about multiplayer, and TDU2 more than ever! But I really have the feeling that the multiplayer compromised the overall quality of the game, I think programmers are forgetting about the old single player. Its really much easier to put lots of people trying to build self confidence online by winning races against strangers than actually produce a great single player experience.

I think its a pity that a game so ambitious, so big and so full of possibilities is just turned to waste because of a mode that just needs a bunch of guys with low self esteem trying to prove themselves by achieving greatness at videogames.

Where is the balance beetween modes? I guess in the next generation of consoles games won't even have single player, and its a lot easier. A multiplayer game just needs to have working controls and graphics and a theme that can get someone to achieve something they can show around and boast about. Single Player really needs immersion, atmosphere and imagination and I guess those are fields that are getting more and more shortcomings.

I think TDU is not a MOOR, its MFGTDMM (Massively flawed game that disguises itself with Multiplayer Modes). The truth is: "When you are close to winning a race against your biggest online rival, you don't care if the engine sounds, sound like cars or farts, you just wanna win, you don't care if you are driving at 180mph and it seems like you are going a lot slower the only that matters is that you can cross the line in 1st place so you get a big smile and sleep better to boast about your achievements in the morning!:lol:"

If you all tell me you play online for the fun and not for the ego boosts, than you are a bunch of liars!:D Them' programmers really hit jackpot when they found out that some people have to do their socialization and get their self esteem from doing great at videogames!:cool:

:chewy: I'm gonna beat your ass with my fictional Ferrari:chewy:

I wanna play this game cause I wanna pretend like I am a big shot that can drive super sports cars at high speeds, Because I know I won't get to drive my favourite cars and specially drive them at 180mph in the highway, this is my reason, and I am neither proud or ashamed of it, what are your reasons to play this game?