We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Santtu's A3

superhyper

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was not slipping, it was just acting weird :lol: Anyways, got that changed today and the problems with it are gone :D The repairman showed the old clutch disc to me and it was rusty and worn out and he said that it could have broken any time now so I guess I got kinda lucky with my timing :p Handbrake's working as well, really happy now :D

And Mellors, weren't you going to get your car resprayed anyways? :hmmm:

• 7 months later...

Wow, it's been some time since I last posted here :eek:

The A3 has been under intensive care for the past few days as I can't get it to start anymore :( Drove it normally for a whole day, worked just fine but on the last time I had to leave that day, it just wouldn't start. After spending a lot of quality time with it in the garage, I've located the problem, the spark plugs won't give any spark. The only problem is, I don't know why ;-;

I've ordered an OBD2 scanner (I need to get my car inspected before the end of the year and I need to reset a few error codes for that :whistle:), it should arrive on monday and I hope it could give me a clue to what's wrong with the car. Meanwhile it's sitting in the garage and I'm driving mom's CRV when available and of course this :lol:

Photo%25205.12.2013%252013.57.JPG

Here's me and my bro trying to pull it into our garage which proved to be a challenge :lol:

Photo%25204.12.2013%252017.51.JPG

And here's a shot of the engine without the silly plastic covers

Photo%25204.12.2013%252018.55.JPG

I'll keep you guys updated on the situation.

Possibly a silly question... but why wouldn't you push the car instead if trying to pull it? I'm guessing so you can stop it from crashing into something :)

Cheap code scanners just give a basic code that you type into Google, which gives a basic description in about 5 words. You'll have better luck posting that info on an Audi forum where other owners may know.

You could also try this: VAG Group ElsaWin 4.0 + NEW 4.10 FULL Pack (UPDATED 1/12/2013)

So I was typing that I'm glad we have no snow here but then I looked out of the window and saw that everything is covered in that stupid white thing. So instead, I wish you good luck with the Ah-drei. :cheeese:

--- Post Updated ---

And to make you feel better, yesterday we found out that the Vito has problems with the common-rail system again. We replaced the injectors just last summer. >.<

• 4 weeks later...

Good news, I finally got it running again! :D The problem was in the camshaft position sensor (which, btw, was a real pain to replace!), after I replaced it (and the engine coolant temperature sensor, which was also broken), it started up great! :) Tomorrow morning I gotta try to find what's caused the airbag warning light to come on (probably the same problem that I had when buying the car, passenger side side airbag wire is probably worn due to moving the seat back&forth to let people in&out of the back seat) and in the afternoon I gotta try to get it to pass the MOT (it's already late and I wanna get it done before I'm leaving for army :/)

Long story short; I'm happy to get it running again :D

I find in alot car, disconnecting the battery for a few mins can actually sort lights out! But others can be like what you said.

If that doesn't work, slap a code reader on it and 'delete' the fault until it comes/if it comes back on. Not that I've ever done that... :run:

The great things about Pre-2005 cars and not having huge amounts of electrical gibbons! :lol:

I find for some reason the accelerator pedal is a lot more sensitive/responsive after I've had the battery disconnected, to the point where I've spun the wheels. (That said I can spin the wheels in 3rd gear if I try hard enough and the road isn't very grippy).

Kudos to you for fixing your car yourself though. Must be due to see more photos of it by now.

I find for some reason the accelerator pedal is a lot more sensitive/responsive after I've had the battery disconnected, to the point where I've spun the wheels. (That said I can spin the wheels in 3rd gear if I try hard enough and the road isn't very grippy).

Kudos to you for fixing your car yourself though. Must be due to see more photos of it by now.

Doesn't DSG & throttle adaptation reset itself by disconnecting the battery maybe?

With newer BMW's it is that they draw the battery pretty much a lot when they're shut off, so after a few weeks you can't start your car. And you need to bring the car to dealership to replace the battery unless you're a coding master and did find a battery with OEM specification.

Glad it's now running, Santtu. And good job working on it yourself!

Yep it adapts every 60km. Rumour has it that if you hold the pedal kickdown switch down for 20 seconds with the ignition on this also resets it but I'm dubious. I also used to use a SprintBooster which was great fun, just not great for the clutches if I'm honest.

Thanks guys, gotta admit that my stepdad did help me quite a lot but hey, still beats paying for a mechanic! :) It also passed the MOT with no problem, the airbag light was indeed on due to the wire being faulty, I just cleared the error code and hoped that it wouldn't come back during the test and it has stayed away since then :p

a3katastus.JPG

• 1 month later...

And here I am again, it won't start. This time the fault seems to be in the coolant temperature sensor (again) and the engine speed sensor. The A3 is beginning to show it's true colours and I'm really getting tired of this. Even my backup car hates me now, the Passat's driver side door won't open from the outside so I have to use the passenger door >______>