We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Bugbear's Next Car Game: Wreckfest

Andreas¹

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 months later...

Update #5 is out :D They've completely overhauled the game engine (and you can feel it), the changelog is big:

Here's the change log as well:

Engine:

*Rewrote the engine.

*Significantly simplified gameflow logic.

*Added support for data hotloading.

*Wrote a shiny new property editor.

*Removed a ton of old legacy code.

*Rewrote the effect system, note that certain effects are missing as of now.

*Added a launcher option to set grass rendering distance.

Multiplayer:

*Implemented LAN multiplayer for both race and derby, currently supports 12 players.

Input System:

*Added remapping support for XInput devices such as the X360 gamepad.

*Added D-pad and look-around support for DirectInput devices.

*Increased the amount of rebindable controls.

*Added analogue handbrake support.

*Added proper H-shifter support.

Gameplay:

*Improved AI behavior to help it stay on track better.

*Added support and first draft scoring events.

Damage:

*Implemented new damage system based on tracking deform instead of impacts.

*Improved deformation to make the cars break apart in a more realistic manner.

*The car that is heavier and traveling faster will now have an advantage in collision.

*Fixed an issue where unlocked panels such as doors would not animate correctly.

*Added a placeholder smoke effect for the critically damaged engine state.

*Added a release state to all wheels so that they can be torn off.

Cameras:

*Implemented an improved camera system.

*Reworked all cameras, FOV, position, etc.

User Interface:

*Rewrote the user interface platform.

*Implemented new Replay user interface.

*Added a preliminary scoreboard to post-race.

*Improved the main Garage UI somewhat to enhance usability.

*Removed the vignette effect when getting damaged during gameplay.

*Added support for fetching Steam user name and avatar.

Vehicles and Upgrades:

*Added a new American Muscle car.

*Reworked engine upgrade parts to mimic real-life parts.

*Reworked the suspension setups for more authenticity.

*Added first upgrade part descriptions.

*Improved gamepad controller functionality.

*Switched Anti-Spin assist to an improved Stability Control assist.

Vehicle Dynamics:

*Added simulation of Ackermann steering geometry.

*Improved shifting center of mass calculation when vehicle is airborne.

*Improved simulation of viscous forces when driving on loose surfaces such as gravel.

*Added engine shake calculated from the piston movement to simulate engine rumble.

*Added support for turbochargers and superchargers, upgrade parts using this feature coming later.

*Improved suspension simulation; center of mass now affects suspension.

*Improved suspension geometry simulation.

Weathers:

*Improved weathers to give a better sense of light.

Tracks:

*Added a new Sandpit race track, still work-in-progress!

*Enhanced various bits and pieces of the existing tracks.

New car :D

OkB17NR.jpg

tq68SXP.jpg

Quite a few people are reporting massive fps hits :( Strangely it seems to be worst for those with the highest-spec computers o_O I wasn't hit that bad, I can certainly feel it but it's very playable a few seconds into the races.

Also, you need to try the new handling for yourself and see what you think of it. Most people seem to think it was better before but I love how it is now, what we had before was almost unplayable to me which is why I hardly ever played the game.

I love how it is now, what we had before was almost unplayable to me which is why I hardly ever played the game.

^ This

The new handling is good, not so boaty as last time, the original handling was really.. GTA IV-ish.

This feels much better, I took off all the assists and lost the rear end a few times, I'm digging the new car as well.

It's not that bad, I'm used to playing racing games on keyboard. The only thing is the first American Sedan which used to be my favorite car had the turning circle comparable with the moon, but with the new update it's a lot better if you turn down the assists to half. :D

They didn't rewrite the handling per sé, just the game engine itself was too inefficient the way it was and wouldn't be capable of handling all the things they later want to include in the game. Doing it now rather than later meant less things that their rewrite could potentially break and therefore less work in the long run. Anything they add from now on can be directly optimized for the "new" engine even if there is still a lot of work to be done with it.

• 8 months later...

Next Car Game: Wreckfest

Steam Store Page

Developer's Blog

This game is still in early access, yes... but what a game!

It's being developed by BugBear, the guys who brought us the Flat Out series of games. This time round, they're returning to the roots of the first Flat Out game. Big old muscle cars (and some other smaller cars too) on crazy dirt tracks, with lots of carnage and awesome damage modelling. The physics are on the realistic side of arcade, I'd say, but it really makes you feel like the cars have some weight behind them. The amount of things going on at any one time is astonishing, body panels everywhere, and if you smash into a tyre wall, every individual tyre ends up on the track and getting bounced around by the other cars. I play on cockpit and find myself cringing when a car in front hits a tyre wall and sends them flying towards my windscreen (or what's left of it). Fence posts are even scarier though!

The engine sounds really are brilliant too. Big old V8s coughing and farting flames from the exhausts on gear changes!

They've really got it nailed down, even this early in development. I was playing a 21-player multiplayer lobby on the figure-8 track the other day. I've not laughed so hard in ages! :D

To sum this game up, it's carnage in a good way!

If you want to add me on steam, go ahead: Supernaut - my avatar is a cartoon skull and crossbones on a red circle and black background.

Discuss!

Merged with the thread we already had ;)

I love the game too, though there haven't been any updates for quite some time now. The next update will be massive, can't wait and it won't be that long now. :D They say they are very hard at work on the physics which is why it's taking so long.

I hope they will bring back some elements of the later Flat Outs as well, I loved the city tracks.

Balls!

I evidently didn't look through the forums hard enough. :o

I'm loving this game though, it's right up my street. Rusty old V8 monsters on dirt tracks are so much more fun!

I'd post a topic about Carmageddon Reincarnation too, but I know this forum has some younger members, so maybe not. :nuts: