We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Diesel sport cars

RobikV3

Why S class? :cheeky:

I keep trying to convince my father to get an A8L once he sells the bmw, if he does want a new car in some years or not :drool: but he says it's too long to fit in most parking spaces and it's not really the ideal car for the daily drivings, it would be a good car if he did several trips daily/weekly :(

*okay.jpg*

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are a masochist then if you think the WRX is the ultimate all-rounder. I wouldn't fancy driving it from Berlin to Monaco in four people. Do you know by any chance what's the mileage on those?

A rich person, in my view, is a (multi)millionare. And honestly, do you really believe that one premium diesel sedan worth 100k makes that person rich? No. A wealthy person has enough money to buy a Bentley Conti, S 63, Ghost or something like that, and in addition he may also own a villa in the Mediterrean and leave his secured residence to go there in his W12 Conti every summer.

Once again:

Not every person is interested in cars as much as we are. This applies to everyone in every social class. Poor, middle class, upper class, rich, etc.

Not everyone wants to daily drive a 560hp sedan in a manner I would like to drive every morning in.

Not everyone has the skills to drive a fast and powerful vehicle. Intelligent people know where their driving skills lie.

Not everyone wants to show off his wealth.

Not every wealthy person throws his money out of the window, so that person may have an F-Type V8 S next to his black, anonymous, daily driven diesel S-class.

1300km. I've seen people do longer trips in Volkswagen Gol... in 4 to 5 people inside. So, yes... i think the WRX can do the job very, very well. I've already drove for 5 hours, non-stop, with 5 people inside a Fiesta 1.0l 2003. Then again, my mind won't change about the WRX. It can do it's job very well and anything else than that is a plus. And sorry, but 100.000 euros DO means someone is rich, specially if that money is spent on a car.

100.000 euros = 317.000 BRL. And "rich" people around here buy themselves Hiluxes and Hyundai Azeras, which cost 1/3 of 100.000 euros. So, excuse my poorness.

Edit: To make this more clear to you ok, using myself as example. I am considered medium level family here, and 100.000 euros could do this:

Remake and fix all the problems i have in my house, such as cracks on the walls, leaks and many other little problems. It could easily support my living here for university for the rest that's left and probably buy me a base car, like a VW Gol 1.0. And i guess that wouldn't be enough to spend it all. All that money, spent in ONE car! Just ONE!

Really... that can't get into my mind as a logical car choice and the person who has that sort of money to spend on one car not being rich.

We're not rich, we've been doing good for a few years which is different.

But it's a very vulnerable business. My parents have had to start all over from 0 once or twice.

Last time was 13 years ago, after the twin towers were destroyed. USA stopped exporting/importing, that froze the whole world's industries.

My parents' company had no work during a huge period, and it was a society between 3 companies. We had the A4 at that time iirc.

My parents had to mortgage the house and risk buying the whole company, and hoping to be lucky enough to get work back again soon.

They had to work to pay debts of over 100.000€, due to having bought the rest of the company, my father still does all nighters working when there's a lot of demand, and he's done two all nighters in a row if necessary.

Things get built with hard work, at the moment we're doing good, but if the USA or Germany fart at the rest of the world things can go downhill fast. That's also why it's important to save money, incase hard times come in like a wrecking ball out of nowhere^^

So this also answers why not getting the M5 even if you can afford it, my parents decided for the m550d because they can afford it and still save up what they think it's a safe ammount. perhaps the savings would be lower with the m5.

So it's easy to point "Rich" like some people do when they see we buy new stuff, but no one takes some moments to think, perhaps they deserve it, they've had some worse moments, and they've worked hard to build what they have now. They deserve some treats perhaps! Don't just go around saying people are rich because they own this or that xD

We're doing good at the moment, each year better and I really hope things keep this way, but to be rich we have to be sure we'll still do good in some years, and that's not something we can take for granted!

I never said rich as a bad thing. Or that people doesn't deserve to be rich. Please don't mix things up.

History aside and all that, now... right now, your family is a family that i, Millena from Brazil, would consider a rich family. And please note, that's not a bad thing. Never said it's bad.

All I can say is, Bangernomics is the way to go.

Be it petrol or diesel, you can get a car that cost some sucker full price 10 - 15 years ago and cost you under £1k now, and chances are it'll last you another 50k miles(pending what car) with only basic servicing & replacing the expected wear & tear.(oil, filters, plugs, brakes, etc) and its not hard to do so you save even more cash doing it yourself. Who cares for MPG as the cars worth this side of bugger all in the eyes of alot of people. :lol:

Cost too much to fix it? Scrap it and repeat. ;)

A friend of the family had a old 7 series(top spec, would have cost a good fortune when new in the early 90's) that he bought for £900, lasted him 75k miles & 4 years before it kicked the bucket. We've had a few cars do the same, such as 30k in 1 & a half years in the Rover 75, sold the car on for a profit! (and the cars still on the road now!)

I think I de-railed the whole diesel thing now. :lol:

I think, that the discussion here has different points of view because we are from different countries, and even more different continents. I really get Milli's point of view, because Argentinean people with high end cars are people above mid-class (upper mid-class) but no necessarily rich. So what maybe what a guy from Portugal/UK sees as a "not a rich car" for a person from Argentina/Brasil it is, do you get my point?

I've seen people do longer trips in Volkswagen Gol... in 4 to 5 people inside.

They don't know what VW GOL is in Europe :P

And btw, I've also seen that here...

@mau92 :You are right though, as a common car in one country is miles away from in another. Also how cars are bought are different....such as most new cars bought (in the Uk, and i'd guess most of Western EU & America) arnt actually owned, but paid for on monthly finance such as HP/PCP...and most people just replace it after the contract expires. Reason why there are boatloads of German cars kicking about where I live.

-

They don't know what VW GOL is in Europe :P

Some of us do. ;) Likewise other SA only cars like the SP2.

But I have a knack for wanting to know about cars the world over, as most of the stuff in Europe is dull these days.

:yawn: Regret opening and attempting to read some of the posts in this thread. Boooorinngggg and so not on the topic of diesel sports cars.

My parents always choose diesel cars as they're more suited to the mileage they do, and the MPG my parents wish to get from the vehicle. As for whether diesels are suited to sports cars, I don't see why not, they're getting better all the time and with the world wanting sporty vehicles they can 'convince their wife it's a good idea to buy in todays world', the economics of the diesel might make you see them more and more in sports cars.

I agree, when I opened it I expected to see a point, but lost interest when it turned into a bunch of reading about German cars.

with the world wanting sporty vehicles they can 'convince their wife it's a good idea to buy in todays world', the economics of the diesel might make you see them more and more in sports cars.

But the fact remains, if you get a Golf GTD insted of a GTi...I'd laugh at you, even more so if its a 5 door one. :lol:

We know what it is even though we don't have it :p

You also know which cars europe gets and you don't :p

Some of us do. Likewise other SA only cars like the SP2.

But I have a knack for wanting to know about cars the world over, as most of the stuff in Europe is dull these days.

I should've saw that one coming, specially here because we are car nuts. I know about Vauxhall or Holden (Australia) for example, though many people here doesn't even know what are they and that they are even GM.

Here we get the "South American Spec", which has less things or different name or it looks different. For example the Golf, it was not until now that we got the same model (shape, to be more precise. I don't know the equipment) as in Europe of course apart from the first-gen-Golf.

Agree, this went a bit off topic

But the fact remains, if you get a Golf GTD insted of a GTi...I'd laugh at you, even more so if its a 5 door one. :lol:

Why? I actually really like the 5 door GTD, it offers good performance and running costs for a family. Though of course I'd go for the Seat Leon FR TDI instead and save myself so much money and get a much better looking car.

Why? I actually really like the 5 door GTD, it offers good performance and running costs for a family. Though of course I'd go for the Seat Leon FR TDI instead and save myself so much money and get a much better looking car.

You answered your own question to me with that question. ;)

Its not a bad car, crazy torques (380Nm if i remember for the current gen), but 5 door golfs have always looked a bit off for me since the Mk5. And why get a Golf when VAG offer there own rival, with the same engines but much cheaper!

You answered your own question to me with that question. ;)

Its not a bad car, crazy torques (380Nm if i remember for the current gen), but 5 door golfs have always looked a bit off for me since the Mk5. And why get a Golf when VAG offer there own rival, with the same engines but much cheaper!

But your laugh was regarding the GTI and GTD? I don't see the GTD as that bad a car, and it's cheaper than the GTI so I don't see where your point of price came into it.

I completely disagree about the 5 door golfs, I think its the 3 door golfs that look completely off. The last 3 door golf I think looks good is probably the Mk4.

I agree, when I opened it I expected to see a point, but lost interest when it turned into a bunch of reading about German cars.

You're getting weirder and weirder. :confused:

GTD totally makes sense in either 3 or 5 door version.

But your laugh was regarding the GTI and GTD? I don't see the GTD as that bad a car, and it's cheaper than the GTI so I don't see where your point of price came into it.

I completely disagree about the 5 door golfs, I think its the 3 door golfs that look completely off. The last 3 door golf I think looks good is probably the Mk4.

I'm not saying it's a bad car. The laugh is lost on here as none of you's would understand the long running joke I've got with the GTD. Regarding Price,, with you bringing Seat into the picture I'm just saying that VW offer there rivals for a cheaper price.

With the 3 Vs. 5 Door thing, that's all personal choice in the end.

-

I agree, when I opened it I expected to see a point, but lost interest when it turned into a bunch of reading about German cars

You're getting weirder and weirder. :confused:

I am? First point of the thread is...

I still dont get how a diesel can be sport but thats just me anyway congratz mate!

Then it moves onto lots of comments talking of German cars. If the thread title was 'German Diesel Sport cars' I could understand.

Just saying.

I'm not saying it's a bad car. The laugh is lost on here as none of you's would understand the long running joke I've got with the GTD. Regarding Price,, with you bringing Seat into the picture I'm just saying that VW offer there rivals for a cheaper price.

So explain the joke to us then...

Then it moves onto lots of comments talking of German cars. If the thread title was 'German Diesel Sport cars' I could understand.

Just saying.

It all started with GTAMADDOG and his recently purchased E46 330d Sport. Just sayin.

So explain the joke to us then...

It'd be lost here, one of them that it was funny at the time and sometimes still get's dragged up when the people who were there at the time get a reminder.

It all started with GTAMADDOG and his recently purchased E46 330d Sport. Just sayin.

So in another thread? With no reference to that how are people who diddent see the original to get that part?

Not having a go, just pointing out how I came to with the "its all about German cars in here" , now that part is cleared up I understand how. :)

So in short, you would't get a Golf full stop. :lol:

I would. I'd love meself a 5 door Golf 2.0 TDi. I love the GTD, just wouldn't get it because I think a 2.0 TDi (non GTD) would be more than enough for me, and I could spend the extra money in extras. Seats are really good but I think the Golf 7 is currently the best car in it's cathegory with perfect materials, perfect build quality and a lot of presence while still being discrete.

I think the Golf 7 is currently the best car in it's cathegory with perfect materials, perfect build quality and a lot of presence

tumblr_mqej9es6C11rqfhi2o1_250.gif

It might be the best all round 'product' but it certainly isn't the best choice, it's so GODDAMN BORINGGGGGGGGGGG. I'd literally rather paint my house and watch it dry than own a 2.0 TDI golf. They're perfect company cars or cars for people who don't care much and just want a transportation system. I'm not saying they're not class leaders for engineering but god damn its boring and soul-less. I also don't think it has any presence at all, nevermind 'a lot of presence' like you stated. But I guess that does come down to different countries/cities etc, where some cars might stand out more in one place they'll go by unnoticed in the next.

Might I add, I've never seen the huge attraction and buzz over the above vehicle, if someone gifted me one I'd sell it immediately.

It's a discrete presence if that even makes sense :p It will go un noticed by most eyes, it's got a charming look, which really gets the owner's attention.

I like it, but for eye catching presence I think the Alfa Giulietta nails it.

Will want to test drive a golf 7 when I finish my license, I've heard wonders about driving it.