We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

The Space Thread: Diablo's Home Planet Found

TIMELESS

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For those who might be interested, SpaceX is doing another launch-and-return this evening. Their Falcon 9 is gonna bring a new ocean-monitoring satellite in orbit. After that it will return to earth again, this time it will be another attempt to land on that sea platform they have instead of on land.

Will be broadcast on NASA's live stream, around half past 6 GMT UK time or half past 7 west-european time.

I can imagine distance is playing against its discovery.... 20 times as far from the Sun as Neptune!!!!! The Solar System is by far no more the 'compact and cozy' star+9 planets system as I remember it from my 90's pocket guide to the universe. Also, with the actual scale of the picture below, the full size of the solarsystem would be 4,5 km.... Oh dear.

scalemodelSS.png

• 3 weeks later...

In other news, gravitational waves have been measured for the first time. Big breakthrough in the world of observing and detecting the universe, since it will open up the possibility to ''see'' things which don't emit light, such as black holes, and perhaps also dark matter (which is said to make up the vast majority of the universe). They discovered this by measuring an extremely small distortion in laser setups, casued by a merger of 2 black holes 1.3 billion years ago.

And less good news, comet lander Philae has been declared dead. Scientists sent a wake-up signal which was literally meant to shake the lander a bit so it could get some solar rays onto its panels again, but it didn't work. The comet is speeding away from the sun, it's getting too cold for the lander to function correctly. :(

Einstein was a seriously smart individual. To have the foresight and belief that this is going on without having the proper means of testing really blows my mind.

And that's a shame about Philae but to be honest, the fact it even managed to land on the comet is a feat in itself, and it did do well with what it managed to send back helping us understand more about these lumps of rock, that no doubt deliver life throughout the universe to planets who have the right set of ingredients to do so, but just need that little bit extra to kickstart the reaction.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

So, planet number 9 with its rumored size of 10 times Earth, was discovered by a team of scientists who studied orbits of 6 Kuiperbelt objects. The probability that their orbits were nót formed by this ninth planet was 0.007%. And now, one of the scientists announced this:

Hey Planet Nine fans, a new eccentric KBO was discovered. And it is exactly where Planet Nine says it should be.

CeV7N2EVIAEq-NI.jpg

I haven't done the statistics yet, but I suspect this takes the probability of this being a statistical fluke down to ~.001% or so.

:nuts: :D

Holy crap, space is just too way out there to comprehend at times for me. The distances and figures are - if you pardon the pun - astronomical!!

yes well it is often the problem with space. No one can really comprehend the size. We are not evolved to make sense of such vast numbers so even when you start to go above thousands or millions the true meaning of the scale is lost in our brains. It took more than 9 years for the fastest man-made object to reach the inner circle of kuiper belt, and that's just the backyard of our solar system.

It's more with the Voyager craft where I am in disbelief at the vastness of the distances. Those things have been travelling close to 40 years and have only just escaped the outer solar system I believe.

And those images where it shows you the supergiants; VY Canis Majoris and chums.

well not quite, voyager 1 is traveling through sun's magnetic field voyager 2 is far behind on a completely different trajectory. I guess it depends on how you define the boundaries of the solar system. NASA reckons It'll be another 40,000 years before any of the voyagers make a flyby to another star system. And we're talking just a few light years at this rate. The milky way alone is more than 100,000 light years across.

But we do have 5 interstellar spacecrafts as of now, voyager 1 is the only one that is directly heading towards the middle of the galaxy.

Ah yeah maybe it's the outer reach of the sun's winds (edit: Heliosphere) I was thinking of then. I do remember last year they said something about detecting a drop of solar winds that told them the craft had entered what they called 'Interstellar space'.

edit: Quick search shows they expect Voyager 2 to do the same this year.

It's just mind blowing what those 2 spacecrafts have done for the mankind. We're still using their reference images and their collected data of the outer planets they flew by even after almost 50 years. To think that they have traveled for years endlessly and from billions of miles away they have sent pictures of our system's planets is just something else. We take so many things we know about the solar system for granted but to think that astronomers didn't even know what neptune or uranus looked like before the voyager program gives you the idea.

@Diablo: its orbit is extreme yes. How extreme, is what I posted earlier:

I can imagine distance is playing against its discovery.... 20 times as far from the Sun as Neptune!!!!! The Solar System is by far no more the 'compact and cozy' star+9 planets system as I remember it from my 90's pocket guide to the universe. Also, with the actual scale of the picture below, the full size of the solarsystem would be 4,5 km.... Oh dear.

scalemodelSS.png

Plus those were all found through old-fashion redundant steampunk machines compared to the Ferrari-esque James Webb Telescope and other new-generation space searchers. That Mike Brown mister says we should have a confirmation of the planet existing within 5 years.

• 1 month later...