We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Salon de TDUCK: New Car Releases

CarMadMike

Has the Model S not been a sales success in Aus ry? I see them everywhere here, I imagine the Model X will do well too. Though I agree the Falcon doors are a classic example of overengineering, why are they necessary?

I understand Aussieland brings about a fairly unique issue in owning an electric car though, the immense scale of the place in comparison to population/infrastructure would definitely concern me more than it would in europe etc.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wonder if VW has the money to keepdeveloping this now after all that's happened. One motoring journalist here even speculated it could be the end for VW all together even though I think that's too extreme.

Wonder if VW has the money to keepdeveloping this now after all that's happened. One motoring journalist here even speculated it could be the end for VW all together even though I think that's too extreme.

If you take into account the amount of cars affected (11 million worldwide), the cost to VW to recall and fix, the fines per car, the lawsuits on top of that... it's a big number man. Not to mention the time it will take for their sales to return to what they were before this happened.

I think if anything, the brand will be split up. Audi, Seat, Skoda, Lamborghini, Bentley, Bugatti and so on all being separate manufacturers from VW instead of being a VAG division.

BMW M2 spotted in Long Beach Blue. Production car will be revealed this month.

attachment.php?attachmentid=1293598&stc=1&d=1443994785

attachment.php?attachmentid=1293602&stc=1&d=1443994785

attachment.php?attachmentid=1293596&stc=1&d=1443994785

attachment.php?attachmentid=1293600&stc=1&d=1443994785

Front end looks a bit too much busy, but it's got nice hips tho. RWD, 6MT & DCT, circa 360hp (engine from the X4 M40i).

MB GL-class facelift (--> GLS)

6453947001303275604.jpg

18900668951021411840.jpg

Audi R8 LM.

Powered by the R8 LMX's 570PS V10. It's a Canada-only limitied run of the first-gen R8 - eight cars in total will be made. Why are they still making old R8's? :confused:

audi-r8-lm-4.jpg

New M4 GTS:

bmw-m4-gts-0001_0.jpg?itok=L67Q-5ET

bmw-m4-gts-0002_0.jpg?itok=Z1fgnch5

- 68hp boost over normal M4 to 493bhp

- 0-60 in 3.8 seconds, compared to the 4.3 of the M4 and the 4.4 of the old M3 GTS

- 34mpg?!

- 80kg weight saving

- Only available as Auto

- £121,770 starting price.

Info and pics from Autocar

Not sure what to think of it, If I was living by the Ascari Track resort or whatever then I'm sure I'd love it. But this is probably one of the worst offenders in JC's 'Kristin Scott Thomas' test which I tend to think of a lot before deciding if I like a car. The colour of those wheels, the rear wing etc.... but then again for rather crazily high price as with the previous GTS, this isn't for chavs as they'd most likely have an Audi R8 with awful rims on for this price range, this really is for those wanting some track fun and that makes me like it a hell of a lot more than I usually would.

What the hell? Rollcage and seat harnesses are an option now? And they deleted the arm rest but left the heavy luxury stuff like iDrive and leather dashboard in the car?

Apparently, it did the Ring in 7:28 which impressive but eh, that doesn't change the fact that the wing and Acid Orange trim is ricey. Doesn't fit the overall shape of the car. Previous GTS was in comparison to the F82 a sexy machine. :drool:

bmw-e92-m3-gts-duo-spotted-in-germany-photo-gallery_6.jpg

I'm maybe a bit cynical, but for the price and the gains you get I don't think it's worth the £120k price tag. And it's not exactly light (1,510kg) for a track toy.

Surely you could get the same result with a normal M4 with a re-map, coilovers, exhaust and removing things you don't need (Air-con & the sat-nav-information system). And cost a whole lot less than the £60k premium.

Sure it'll be a great drive, but think this is one for the collectors & deep pocketed M fanboys.

The £60k premium with the GTS isn't about value for money though Cal, it's about exclusivity and I'd imagine the cars hold these premiums quite well in comparison to other models. They've put it in a price bracket where of course only a serious 'fanboys' as you put it are going to be interested.

:crackup::fp:

Having that sort of reaction, i'd guess don't know just how much a few simple things like what i said can really alter the feel of a car in the real world. Litchfield offer 525hp out of a M4 with just a re-map and Akrapovič Evolution exhaust. likewise AC Schnitzer offer 510hp(Although they don't mention the need for a new exhaust). The weight loss talks for it's self.

Amazing how easy tuning is now thank's to turbos and computers.

I spend enough time with people who in my area who do such things, everything from Focus's to R8's.

-

Anyways, surprised nobody has posted about this little gem Toyota are showing about...

[ATTACH]24202[/ATTACH]

It's Toyota's answer to the MX5 in terms of size (This thing is smaller than a Ford Fiesta!), sporting a 6-speed manual and and un-confirmed engine. Oh and it's RWD.

I like the idea, but that front end look's wayyyy too much like the current Bini range.

more infomation can be found @Pistonheads by clicking here.

Having that sort of reaction, i'd guess don't know just how much a few simple things like what i said can really alter the feel of a car in the real world. Litchfield offer 525hp out of a M4 with just a re-map and Akrapovič Evolution exhaust. likewise AC Schnitzer offer 510hp(Although they don't mention the need for a new exhaust). The weight loss talks for it's self.

Amazing how easy tuning is now thank's to turbos and computers.

I spend enough time with people who in my area who do such things, everything from Focus's to R8's.

The GTS has water injection, specific tires, active aero, CFRP stuff and more importantly, FINE TUNING.

What those tuning garages/companies do is just buy off-the-shelf products. I am not saying BMW and others don't buy parts from their suppliers (I've myself got OE Brembo brakes), but they don't spend many many laps hooning around race tracks and collecting data in labs like manufacturers do.

I am surprised that's coming from you.

P.S.: What may happen is that most of the hardware GTS stuff will be obtainable through reputable US BMW shops. This was the case with the E92 GTS when some had been able to source the GTS interior and exterior things. However, BMW has changed the process lately and if I recall, you won't have the chance to get the GTS stuff without the VIN of your car or something like that.

I well aware doing what I've said would't have all the fine tuning, just pointing out that the same power/wright gains can be gotten without spending the £60k premium. With the M4 being a fine bit of kit to start with it'd do no harm . And doing it yourself would mean you could even have the manual. (or drop top..if you inclined that way).

Okay, sure you don't have that special model, but most people would see it and think a 21 year old with cash and a demon tweeks fetish has been at the car other than it being the ultra special edition.

As I said originally...

Sure it'll be a great drive, but think this is one for the collectors & deep pocketed M fanboys.

I'm not putting the car down, more the fact it's silly expensive for what it is in my book.

:)

it's silly expensive for what it is

I completely understand the point you're trying to make up until what I've quoted, this is where I think you're completely wrong.

It's not expensive for what it is, the expense/price/cost of the thing is part of what makes the car what it is. You're purchasing an expensive item, rather than purchasing an item that just so happens to be expensive. I think there's a fine line between the two. You're not just buying a fast M4 you're buying an exclusive M4. An M4 would not turn heads in Monte Carlo, but the GTS would actually be worth photographing because of its rarity and price bracket for example.

I know some* people won't agree with my line of thinking here, but I'm the materialistic pretentious idiot and I feel I understand what the product is rather than simply a 'rip off M4'.

*most

I like the SFR's interior... the outside, well it looks like that weird concept GT86 they made a few years ago, only someone squashed it a bit. Unconfirmed engine is a bit strange, logically it would have a boxer because of the low center of gravity, however if this is one of the projects BMW is involved in perhaps it'll be an engine from a Mini?

Last time I checked BMW/Mini were still thinking about putting that superleggera concept into production, after saying no and then changing their mind again. That seems to be a similar size to this.... if they provide the engine for this I'd presume that's the nail in the coffin for them producing the Superleggera (I liked the concept :( ).

Mini still seem to be pushing the Superleggera on social media as a concept which is a bit odd as I haven't really seen that done much with other concepts, so maybe it really is very close to being given the green light, they're just waiting to see if it'll sell.

As far as i've been seeing, the S-FR is one of the BMW/Toyota-Lexus projects, and with the Mini Superleggera due by "2020" and aimed at the MX5 area. So it could be linked.

As for the design of it so far(S-FR), there's a tonn of eco's of the old Toyota 800, which had charm by the bucket load. Just that massive grill is putting me off it. :lol: