We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Salon de TDUCK: New Car Releases

CarMadMike

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mercedes G35d Professional:

d9uyyax3fqqe5cfq1kqi.jpg

oenfwcqbooytdmtpeffi.jpg

rk5jtun8ikkjn2yzajp6.jpg

D298317.jpg?1464897138

Images from Jalopnik - Drive Free or Die

The details:

- 245bhp 3.0 V6

- 7G Tronic Auto.

- Comes with all the locking diffs etc

- 15% more efficient than before

- Comes with cloth seats and plastic floor mats.

- Options for a winch, running boards, caged lights

- No info screen, no heated seats etc

- Price starts €79,968

At first I was like, I LIKE THIS!, THIS IS MORE LIKE IT!, but the lack of info screen is unforgivable at that price point. It makes the question 'who exactly is this for?' slightly harder to answer. I love the idea of cloth seats, the wooden rear deck thing etc but at that price they're wading into Porsche's infamous LESS = MORE MONEY ideology.

As an entry level G, they'll be attracting people who want to be a Kardashian but can't afford the G63, this thing looks the same as that to most people (as it is the same identical thing). But those people will want an infotainment screen etc. You could easily buy this and debadge it and claim you're some hollywood D-list nobody. But that awful looking 'professional' thing where the screen should be is one of the worst things i've seen in a car interior in a long long time.

:drool: Those seats.

That car is probably still as capable off road as the car in my post, surely those so keen on off roading as to want a car with a winch etc, but not want the luxuries of sat nav/leather seats would just buy THAT car in your post for a third if not less of the price? I don't get exactly what they're doing here.

Will they still offer a G350d that isn't 'professional' that comes with all the luxuries etc?

This move from Merc makes me interested in exactly what LR have in store with their new Defender, which is overdue and can't be that long away, they've put a lot of time into it so hopefully it'll be something decent. If LR mess it up and try and make themselves competitors in both price and product to this Merc then it really does beg the question as to why Jeep aren't trying to push the Wrangler over here more than they're already doing, the market is wide open for them.

I don't get exactly what they're doing here.

Making limited editions of a car that can be sold at a premium to make it even more profitable. :p

Will they still offer a G350d that isn't 'professional' that comes with all the luxuries etc?

Of course. It's the most popular one, at least according to mobile.de.

Mercedes-Benz E-Klasse T-Model (S213)

"In Germany, the Estate is known as the "T-Modell" and although the "T" suggests tourism and transport, it also stands for trendsetter."

Sitzprobe-im-neuen-Edel-Kombi-E-Klasse-T-Modell-S213-1200x800-c4f7e4d95d430434.jpg

Sitzprobe-im-neuen-Edel-Kombi-E-Klasse-T-Modell-S213-1200x800-6aec6a6220e32919.jpg

Sitzprobe-im-neuen-Edel-Kombi-E-Klasse-T-Modell-S213-1200x800-ca643e8ab5384885.jpg

e-klasset-modell-outdoor-3-w680xh453-cutout.jpg

interieur-5-w680xh0.jpg

Sitzprobe-im-neuen-Edel-Kombi-E-Klasse-T-Modell-S213-1200x800-0b748844f9141eb6.jpg

Surprise! It looks like a C-class estate, a bit bigger one. The only noticeable difference is that the E-class does not have those awful, fake rear vertical vents and that it has horizontal red reflectors.

• the boot/trunk/laderaum is smaller than before (670/1820 litres vs 695/1950)
  • although, according to Daimler, a Europallet fits in the boot/trunk/laderaum
  • it can still be a 7-seater
  • the rear bench is adjustable now (the backrest has a 10 degree movement)
  • engines are obviously the same, the AMG version has not been revealed yet
  • notable optional equipment is the Acoustic Comfort Package consisting of "special acoustic film in the windscreen and side windows, sound-insulating measures such as additional insulation in the rear footwell and on the centre tunnel... To provide excellent heat insulation in the interior, the windscreen, side windows and rear windows are made of laminated safety glass with another layer of film that absorbs infrared."

Those wheels on the blue thing are just too big. They look like they were designed with some classy idea and a luxury-car appearance, but whoever doesn't get out with a broken back deserves a medal and that doesn't sound like something for a luxury car. And once again it looks similar like the other cars they sell, not even the proportions thing helps here as the C looks good enough in estate shape, mainly because the rear end isn't too short.

I like it like this... then again I'd also like the C if it looked similar, and because they're so similar you might go for a C with better equipment:

gbcyxngbyucq.jpg

And yes, ofcourse those exhaust tips are just trim with a single pipe hanging behind it.

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder just how much money they're saving by having cheap tips? I imagine the margins on the AMG models can be quite extensive so the cost-cutting on the pipes is pretty disappointing. Especially when you see those rubbish plastic trim 'exhausts that don't even try to look like exhausts' like in the pic above on high specced S-Classes, do the customers really not deserve slightly better than that Mercedes, really?

I don't know, but what I know is that every cent counts, unfortunately. What makes it even more ridiculous is that the rivals (A4, 3 Series) have all real exhaust tips.

On a related note: AMG GT R teaser.

Premiere is 24. June. It will feature the same grille as the old SL and the AMG GT race car, and 585 PS & 700 Nm.

Rolls Royce Vison NEXT 100 revealed.

:shrug: I quite like many of the ideas being presented here, with the new Phantom being revealed within the next year it's just a bit of a waste as from what we've seen the new Phantom will not look any different from the previous one, meaning this concept is basically a bit of a waste of time. I'd love for that to be wrong though.

Aston Martin has announced the Vanquish Zagato will go in production. They will build 99 units of the 600 hp strong beauty which can do 0-100km/h in 3.5 seconds.

vanquish-zagato-2017-00002.jpg

vanquish-zagato-2017-00001.jpg

Oh, and Merc wants to cut themselves: they have begun road testing the AMG GT roadster, a car which could get dangerously close to the SL, especially if the next generation will ditch the folding metal roof and become a more sporty oriented roadster as has been stated quite some times already. Then again, initial interviews always mentioned 0 possibilities for an AMG GT roadster... and who would have thought MB would badge-engineer a pick-up truck?

mercedes-amg-gt-cabrio-testmodel_01.jpg

mercedes-amg-gt-cabrio-testmodel_02.jpg