We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Salon de TDUCK: New Car Releases

CarMadMike

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh for god sake no!

The Spyker C8 Preliator will make it’s debut on March 1

14:30 at the 2016 Geneva International Motor Show.

teaser.jpg

Wtf does that even mean.... to preliate? I preliate? We have preliated? Preliatilisations?

EDIT: apparently Preliator stands for warrior/fighter/combatant... Oh for god sake no!

TL,DR: facelift.

Most of below is simply extracted from media-published articles and some logic thinking on how long Spyker has been in which situation and what has been accomplished (read: not) over the years.

- In their current situation they have extremely limited resources, actually only 4.3 million they got from an investor shortly after bankruptancy was filed and just about all employees left. I know that most of the ''veterans'' (highly skilled, involved with Spyker since day 1) already have jobs elsewhere and I doubt they've been hiring new people. That leaves em with eh..... nearly nobody.

- Most suppliers they had most likely won't want to work with Spyker no more. They know the name and how little business there was considering Spyker had more serious things to spend money on (not talking Saab and F1 here...). Also, development really stalled since 2011.

- Spyker's last HQ site had a main building and a storage shed. The main building along with all equipment in there (think of hydraulic bridges and fuel/parts storage/conditioning, but also servers and such) is now owned and occupied by the racing team where Max Verstappen started his career: Van Amersfoort Racing. That leaves Spyker with the storage shed which only has one simple hydraulic ramp and LOTS of shelves to put parts on.

- In its last year, Spyker's ''factory line'' was occupied by a few unassembled Ailerons. Throughout the inventory, there would be enough parts to perhaps half-assemble 2 Ailerons, at least to basic driving condition.

We're looking at a teaser reading "C8", so it must be Aileron based, not a smaller Venator-based vehicle. As for which Aileron has been used, they could sacrificed one of the two demonstrator Ailerons, but they're quite old already so that wouldn't make sense (plus from what I know they're no longer in the Netherlands). There's a second white Aileron somewhere but it's just as old as the demonstrators and perhaps privately owned, so also unlikely. Third option could be the 2013 Geneva Aileron, but I just saw it's for sale in Germany at the moment so that's also no option.

So, I expect an unassembled Aileron has been used and fitted with some soft-tool mold composite body panels. Don't count on a new chassis. The interior can be as different shaped from any other Spyker as they want. This is a showcar, so you don't have to engineer it according safety requirements like flammability rates, emission of chemicals used in treating and dyeing leather and how to properly adhese it to which material of substrates. You could use cardboard, slap a cow onto it, stitch a diamond pattern into it, sell me the meat and you're set. Functionality of interior equipment might also not play a role if the thing won't drive, so no difficult electric magic would be needed.

Driving..... powertrain... not sure on this one. The Venator was initially a conventional petrol-powered thing, but Muller already said he believed in electric power and soon the story was spread Spyker was working on an electric Venator. This new C8 will be sharing its corner of the show with nothing but EV's. If this new C8 will be an EV, I'm not expecting this thing to be driveable... if at all, concept-ish limited to 30km/h, but that would already be a surprise. Plus the showcar Venator was simply towed when it had to move, you can youtube some vids of it happening on Pebble Beach.

Yes.

At this moment, they only have that 4.3 million. But that's not gonna get you a reliable, efficiently cooled, fast recharging, high performance electric drivetrain. Plus you'll need engineering resources to fit it into a chassis that's been designed only to accomodate mid-rear V8 RWD drivetrains. Spyker doesn't have those people since they (we) all left, and I doubt their electrical buddies at Volta Volare have ever managed to create something physical.

So yes, imo a restyled non-driveable Aileron with removed engine/gearbox is the only way to have something done in a year time for a show.

EDIT: can somebody photoshop something for me? Audi wasn't aware of picture leaks within the VAG group so they made this image hoping we wouldn't know yet:

000.jpg

Buuuuut, we already know:

SEAT-ATECA-06.jpg

As for that more powerful Huayra, a source blog called Prototype Zero confirms the BC stands for Benny Caiola, who was one of the first customers when Pagani started selling his first cars, and was even a mentor to him. The car is said to have 830 hp and a weight reduction to make it just 1200 kg. All 20 units have already been sold, one of the requirements for customers was to already own a Huayra, and it's said to start at 2.5 million euros.

He also mentions btw 100 units will be made of the Huayra Roadster, of which 50 have already been sold. And, it will be launched in Geneva.... next year.

Renault Alpine has released images of their latest concept car, the Vision. It's claimed to be fully representable for the production version of the car, which will debute end of this year and go on sale in early 2017. As far as engines are concerned, most people seem to think it will be fitted with the 1.8 from the Clio RS.

1-Alpine-01.jpg

alpine-vision-concept-03.jpg

The Clio RS has a 1.6, no? This is a further developed version of that engine, supposedly 250bhp in the base version and 300bhp in a performance version.

It looks good and seems like good fun but the price is speculated to be around the same as for the Porsche 718 and that just feels like ouch, too much money in my mind but I'm not really sure why.

Hey, you forgot to mention that it's so cool :D

Yes I forgot, and yes it looks nice :D

The Clio RS has a 1.6, no? This is a further developed version of that engine, supposedly 250bhp in the base version and 300bhp in a performance version.

It looks good and seems like good fun but the price is speculated to be around the same as for the Porsche 718 and that just feels like ouch, too much money in my mind but I'm not really sure why.

Hm could be, would make sense if it gets a 1.8, would fit the sporty attitude a bit better :)

As for the price, that in my opinion just sounds too expensive for what basically will be a non-Renault characteristic Renault... Will it have the same nice materials inside? Same quality and equally good and dynamic driving behavior etc? It might have a nice recognizable design, but the Porsche is a Porsche, you don't just slap an old name tag on your creation and expect it to automatically be in that class.

I'm sure the car mags and video channels will put them head to head, would be an interesting one to watch.

Interesting cars keep showing up, like this nice 6-seater Skoda SUV called the Vision S. It will be on Geneva with a 1.4 TSI hybrid powertrain with 2 electric motors. Combined power of 225 hp and a full-electric range of 50 km. I like the front more than the back, though that grille somehow gives me instant Kia thoughts.

skoda-visions-concept-00004.jpg

skoda-visions-concept-00005.jpg

Then there's a preview-event in London where this thing was the subject of the show:

aston-martin-db11-front.jpg

The front of the DB11 already leaked out before:

aston-db11-front.jpg

Here's more interesting stuff. A 'new' 'Gumpert'... 'Gumpert' because it's now called Apollo, and 'new' because it seems to be a renamed Apollo with a badge instead of a side indicator. Perhaps that's the reason it's called ApolloN :p To quote their facebook page:

#Today we are still building the #fastest road car on the #planet, we are and we will always be a force in the restive advance of performance, and for us as#engineers, this is reason enough. Here we present to you #ApolloN. #ApolloN will mark the first milestone of #apolloautomobil #staytuned for the#newchapter

>Still< building the fastest on the planet.... sounds like they for now decided to try and build some remaining Apollo's to get the money for their next car which was said to be named Arrow (also on Geneva).

apollo-n-2.jpg

And Maserati finally showed their SUV they've been talking about for centuries, the Levante. No specs known yet.

maserati-levante-01.jpg

maserati-levante-03.jpg

Need to see that Maserati in a different colour/spec I think, the rear diffuser area mixed with that off-white colour makes the design look slightly dated already....

The big deal for me will be the sound the petrol version makes, the GranTurismo is 90% about the noise haha, if this doesn't make that great a noise I'm not sure what purpose it serves.

Here's the new renault scenic, and jesus, it's actually rather nice :eek:

embargo-0700-uk-240215-scenic-2.jpg?itok=MPERs1yY

--- Post Updated ---

In other news.....

Bentley has ruined the Mulsanne, I was a huge fan of the pre-facelift :(

signature_2.jpg?itok=WhvJklPt

ewb_1.jpg?itok=iwCkMO8-

ewb-rear-cabin-side.jpg?itok=trSlu-IH

Images from Top Gear | The world’s greatest car website, from the team behind the telly show. News, videos, and reviews of every car on sale in the UK.

This wider grille looks a bit awkward, I think it's the mesh that I don't like? The actual size of the grille isn't a big deal.

The inside of the LWB version is amazing :eek: Shame about the new front bumber/grille though :(

It's so big I expect something in it, like a badge or some wings like around the Merc stars. It looks odd on the photo, to see the cross pattern on one half and only the vertical things on the other. Still not liking that modern Bentley double eye look, interior does look great.

The double eye look has grown on me, I genuinely love the Conti GT V8S, the new Bentayga has grown on me a lot, I actually love it now.

The new Flying Spur Speed is rather hawt too. I think i'd have to compare the back seats of a specced out Flying Spur in comparison to the Mulsanne before making the decision as to which i'd choose.

McLaren have released a new version of their 570S, the 570GT:

gwigqdtdtzmvmif45m3b.jpg

hfhay6wfbqtxx8ietttb.jpg

iwyc7cla1bj0ywxcsic9.jpg

images from Jalopnik - Drive Free or Die

• Redesigned rear end, with that glass hatchback allowing for easy access to a slightly larger cargo area (to make it easier to live with day to day).
  • Panoramic sunroof, making it feel lighter and more spacious inside.
  • Exhaust is 3 decibels quieter.
  • 3.4 sec to 60 (0.2 slower than the S), but will still reach over 200mph.
  • Iron brakes, not ceramic, as they're easier to live with day-to-day.

I really like it, that new rear hatch is a huge improvement, and the panoramic sunroof makes it look better from the front too. This is a seriously amazing piece of kit imo.

Personally the best looking car McLaren offer in my opinion, The rear end really suit's the design in my eyes!

-

Sad news for the ultra rich...The Roll's Royce Phantom ends production this year!

But don't worry, an all new one will be back for 2018. Sadly no word on what engine/engines(?) will be on offer.

[ATTACH]25168[/ATTACH]

A run out of 100 run out models, split 50/50 between the Coupe & Drophead are due because they WONT be replaced sadly, my guess is the Wraith & Dawn have taken there place's. Shame, as the Phantom Coupe/Drophead just have an aura of epicness because of there size if you ask me.

The run out model's will be called the 'Zenith' and feature things such as "Laser-etched armrests", bespoke dials, a new Spirit of Ecstasy figure and a "money can't buy" memento of the purchase. So i'm guessing it'll be more than just a signed plaque and book...

More information here.

I'd best get my order in, otherwise I may have to settle with a S-class Pullman or something until 2018... :rolleyes: