We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

If you could build a drift car...

DriftNismo

Ok, here's a new game and a challenge. It might be confusing/boring for people who don't like car modifying or drifting, but i'm interested to see what people would do.

Here's the scenario: You're given £50,000 and you have to buy a car and put 5 mods (exterior, interior, performance, whatever) on it but the whole price has to be less than £50,000 or exactly £50,000 (including the car cost). You can buy a pre-owned car if you like but the price has to be realistic. No cheating because i (and i'm sure a lot of other people) know how much things cost.

Starting Car: 2001 Nissan Skyline R34 GTR V-Spec N1 - £32,000.

1st Mod: Nismo Stainless-Steel 3" Exhaust System with 4" Backbox - £3,000.

2nd Mod: Takata 4-Point Harnesses (for drivers seat) - £400.

3rd Mod: Nismo 1.5-Way LSD - £800.

4th Mod: DriftWorks Hydraulic Handbrake - £110.

5th Mod: 2x Garrett GT35R Ball-Bearing Turbochargers - £1800 (£900 each).

Total Cost: £38110.

Guest RB26DETT

lol Mb. the budget's only 50k.

i CBA to convert pounds in php so i'd just say i'll get a Mazda RX7 FD3S with a GReddy T4 Turbo, GReddy Intercooler, GReddy Evolution Catback Exhaust, Bilstein shocks, K&N Springs (make the car stiff)...

Ok, here's a new game and a challenge. It might be confusing/boring for people who don't like car modifying or drifting, but i'm interested to see what people would do.

Here's the scenario: You're given £50,000 and you have to buy a car and put 5 mods (exterior, interior, performance, whatever) on it but the whole price has to be less than £50,000 or exactly £50,000 (including the car cost). You can buy a pre-owned car if you like but the price has to be realistic. No cheating because i (and i'm sure a lot of other people) know how much things cost.

Starting Car: 2001 Nissan Skyline R34 GTR V-Spec N1 - £32,000.

1st Mod: Nismo Stainless-Steel 3" Exhaust System with 4" Backbox - £3,000.

2nd Mod: Takata 4-Point Harnesses (for drivers seat) - £400.

3rd Mod: Nismo 1.5-Way LSD - £800.

4th Mod: DriftWorks Hydraulic Handbrake - £110.

5th Mod: 2x Garrett GT35R Ball-Bearing Turbochargers - £1800 (£900 each).

Total Cost: £38110.

Either you are stalking me or we are just long lost brothers. What you chose is exactly what I would have done. Your exact mods and everything.

Nissan 200SX (Silvia) ... get one off Autotrader for about 7k max and then 43k to spend on tuning (turbo, suspension, etc) and styling (wing, skirts, splitter, and paint/graphics) ... never built a drift car so I don't know what you need to do in terms of mods ... I've only ever built a quick street racer with shed-loads of grip!

Or just buy a cheap car from someone like Powerdrift (who I found from my Autotrader search) who sell 'drift tuned' 200SXs and Skylines for 10-15k!!!!!

Bargain!

Personally I'd try to make a drift car out of something different ... I'm sure you could get a Ford Capri drifting (British one for all you Aussies out there)

Either you are stalking me or we are just long lost brothers. What you chose is exactly what I would have done. Your exact mods and everything.

:O Seriously?! We're probably long lost brothers :D.

Ok, new one: Initial D Style.

Starting Car: 1986 Toyota AE86 Sprinter Trueno - £6500.

1st Mod: Group A AE101 TRD Engine - £12000.

2nd Mod: Sparco Rev Alcantra Drivers Seat - £750.

3rd Mod: Takata 4-Point Harnesses (for drivers seat) - £400.

4th Mod: TRD 3" Stainless-Steel Exhaust System with de-cat - £1800.

5th Mod: Eibach Coilovers - £900.

Total Cost: £12350.

It's hard to do this with having a 5 mod restriction, ideally i'd also like a DriftWorks hydraulic handbrake, a Sparco Carbon-Fibre wheel, a K&N 57i Induction Kit, a TRD Intercooler and a MoTec ECU, but hey, it makes it more challenging :D.

Btw Hybrid, my dad and my uncle used to drift their Capris all the time, i was actually considering getting a 1.6 Capri for my first car but i'm steered more towards a Sierra XR4i now. The only problem is the 2.8 V6 in it, i'd rather go for a 2.0 XR4X4i and put three-wheeling hubs on the front wheels.

E39 BMW M5

Mods- Weight saving measures, uprated ECU, give it more POWER with TWIN TURBOS, and then more POWER with another TURBO!.... then another TURBO!

No turbo's, then you get instant power and you'll spin out. Supercharger ftw :P

Starting Car: 1997 Mazda RX-7 FD3S

1st Mod: Turbo charged 3-rotor engine

2nd Mod: Sparco Rev Alcantra Drivers Seat - £750. (I Like the seat)

3rd Mod: Takata 4-Point Harnesses (for drivers seat) - £400.

4th Mod: HKS Silent power no cats or resonators (can be switched by button street/track)

5th Mod: Eibach Coilovers - £900.

Price: About 45,000

E39 BMW M5

Mods- Weight saving measures, uprated ECU, give it more POWER with TWIN TURBOS, and then more POWER with another TURBO!.... then another TURBO!

This would go wayyyy over the 5-mod limit and the £50,000 limit. You can't just slap a turbo on a naturally-aspirated car, there's a hell of a lot of stuff you need to do for it to be able to take the turbo.

This would go wayyyy over the 5-mod limit and the £50,000 limit. You can't just slap a turbo on a naturally-aspirated car, there's a hell of a lot of stuff you need to do for it to be able to take the turbo.

Not at all...when in doubt, use more power :p

Okay then, I would just use my M5. Sorted!

• 3 months later...

I want to see a completely inapropriate car drifting - how about a fairly new Daihatsu Charade with a split straight 6 (two in-line engines sharing a crankshaft but not a block) conversion from its own and another engine? RMR layout. A wardrobe with wheels going sideways!!

daihatsu%20charade%20niot.net.jpg

1. Base car - £4000 second hand

2. Another engine - £500 from a written-off car.

3. Tranny fettling and floor-pan modifications for a longitudal mid-engined RWD layout - £5000

4. Chassis stiffening - £6000, could be expensive to fabricate certain bits

5. Wide body kit, wheels etc - £6000, same reasons as the last bit

£21,500 :D

2. Another engine - £500 from a written-off car.

3. Tranny fettling and floor-pan modifications for a longitudal mid-engined RWD layout - £5000

4. Chassis stiffening - £6000, could be expensive to fabricate certain bits

5. Wide body kit, wheels etc - £6000, same reasons as the last bit

£21,500 :D

You wouldn't get an engine reliable and powerful enough for £500, but if you looked hard you could get a fairly recently re-built SR20DET out of a Silvia or a Bluebird or something for about £900 :).

Car. Skyline that costs under £20,000 =3

Mod1. Spoiler to keep the back on the ground but allows the back end to get out - under £2,000

Mod2. Supercharger - £5,000 or less

Mod3. Suspension Mod - under £5,000

Mod4. Brembo Brakes - under £10,000

Mod5. paintjob, neon and rims for under £8,000

thats £50,000 exactly if the parts were the figures given