We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Earthquake!!!!

Baldy

Wow. Since when did UK get earthquakes? Definitely not something I envy. We sometimes feel aftershocks from the more powerful Indonesian earthquakes, and the last one happened in Nov or Dec last year. Really scary, it made the whole building sway. What made it worse, was the fact that I stay on the 24th floor! :eek:

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow. Since when did UK get earthquakes? Definitely not something I envy. We sometimes feel aftershocks from the more powerful Indonesian earthquakes, and the last one happened in Nov or Dec last year. Really scary, it made the whole building sway. What made it worse, was the fact that I stay on the 24th floor! :eek:

The UK gets quite a few earthquakes ... and about 33 Tornados a year! (the most per area of land anywhere in the world!)

you might find this useful for earthquakes ... from USGS (US Geological Survey) ... they track worldwide earthquakes and list magnitude and time etc ... below shows UK quakes 1990 to current day (including last nights!)

http://neic.usgs.gov/neis/eq_depot/2008/eq_080227_nyae/neic_nyae_h.html

:eek: 5.0

That sounds like a real experience hope noone (or noones house) got hurt, wish I was there to feel it, too bad we have don't any (Or maybe.. I think one of my teachers told me about an earthquake long ago, long before I was born, he didn't like it :p ) of them here, or they are so small you can't feel them

If my sources are correct isn't Cornwall full of old people & retirees? They probably slept through the entire thing lol.

You seem suspiciosly well informed :P

No, unless it somehow managed to bypass Devon :p

I forgot about Devon somehow. Even though i went there yesterday.

Apparently you could feel it here in Wrexham

my house is basically built on a sand tip. 5 feet underground and you get nothing but sand. the lack of solid ground probably dampened it out. i was even awake when it was 'happening' although i got absolutely nothing :(

My GF (who lives on the other side of town about 2.5 miles away) felt it, cause her house actually has a decent foundation.

I've never even felt a tremour, what goe's through your head when it happens? I was reading bbc news story (on website not TV incase anyway asks how i read tv) and there was a comment with someone saying "I thought I was going to die). Now sounds sounds compleatly rediculous or is it a paniky situation?