We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

GTA IV PC Discussion

Guest RB26DETT

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I playing it multiplayer last night, just free mode.

I couldn't stop laughing though, seriously. 7 people each in their own cars, driving like total nutters through heavy traffic and cops. :lol:

It then deteriorated into a demolition derby in the airport car park for a while, then somebody found a helicopter, so we were jumping cars over it. I tried to do it with a pickup and smashed the rotors off the top of the helicopter. :D

I have been having major problems! :(

1) It came a day late.

2) Automatic activation never worked so spent 10 minutes writing out the codes.

3) That finally worked then I couldn't log into the social club.

4) I then was able to log in but then I tried starting the game and got Error "RMN40".

5) I then googled that and found out it was because I never had Service Pack 3 for my XP.

6) So I went and downloaded Service Pack 3. But I was stupid at first as I had all sorts of programs running in the background which slowed the install down and after a while it crashed on me. I spent 3 hours looking at the screen to see if it would move (as instructed by people on Teamspeak) but then I had had enough so I went and pressed the reset button after a 10 second countdown from S71NG3R :p. It then willfully rolled back to Service Pack 2 and after about half an hour I was back to Service Pack 2 and was my PC was fully functional.

7) I then eagerly tried reinstalling Service Pack 3 last night with nothing running and went and watched a DVD. I left the PC on until the morning and it didn't install properly. So now i'm right back to Service Pack 2.

And I have no idea what I should do?

I do get errors with C++ Runtime every now and again so maybe it's best to reformat my PC and back everything up and reinstall windows? What do you guys think? Maybe I should make a seperate thread for this though... :(

I was afraid of such SP3 problems like yours but fortunately all went very quickly and without any issue. In fact all took about 20-30 minutes!

Make sure u checked ur registry base from errors first (like Registry Booster or such) and try ISO version of SP3>>>>http://download.microsoft.com/download/e/e/9/ee9d0116-c9fe-4fc2-b59c-406cbfb6d515/xpsp3_5512.080413-2113_usa_x86fre_spcd.iso

Ur Windows may be somehow damaged so maybe if nothing else works u should go for everything from the scratch

This is a new benchmark for PC games, GTAIV is what hardcore gaming is all about. And I'm just talking about getting the game running. :p

This reminds me of the days when you had to choose a sound card from a list of cards that were nowhere near what you had. Hours of fiddling just to get the game to work.

But since plug 'n' pray was made by M$ everyone's PC gaming life was just getting that bit easier.

So what about GTAIV why is it some have problems? Well we knew the demands were high when the specs were out on all the major sites. Rockstar have been very brave and got this 3rd generation GTA engine that will be very future proof. The problem today is the tech is not available at low cost to run it smooth and look good.

The top line PCs can only run this at mid-high settings so lower end PCs are stuck with the lowest settings just to get the game to run.

What sets GTAIV apart from the rest and this is what people need to think about before adding their 1/10 reviews is the quality in this game.

No one has ever put this much attention to detail into a game before. This is a living breathing city that you can do almost whatever you like in it.

If it takes you months to get GTAIV working the pain will only brush the surface of what gaming experience you'll get back from it.

Then there's online multiplayer and this post will be too big to list what you can do online. It's only limited by your imagination and a few game restrictions. What you do is up to you and your friends. :)

Nice reply Joe, I agree wholeheartedly.

One thing though. It does a strange thing where it eats your CPU, but my graphics card only goes up about 5 Celsius from idle no matter how long I play it. The only times it crashes are because the CPU usage hits 100%, then the FPS dies and it crashes back to windows. I have a sidebar app which traces a graph of CPU usage, when I quit GTA IV I can see the lines for both cores way up at the top, right up to the point where GTA IV ends, then they just drop down like a cliff. My processor ain't too shabby either, an Athlon 64x 5200+ (2.6ghz dual core, basically).

I think it needs a patch to somehow divert some of the work to the GPU instead. If that's possible.:oook:

Otherwise, I'll just turn down the settings a teeny bit. Hehe.

Oh, also, post your GFWL usernames in here if you want, mine is SKC Matt88

Guest RB26DETT

Well I was talking to a friend over on Messenger and he says that the reason why GTA IV runs poorly is because the retail boxed version comes with a DRM when you install the game. He had a mate of his purchase it from Steam instead and ran perfectly fine

Well I was talking to a friend over on Messenger and he says that the reason why GTA IV runs poorly is because the retail boxed version comes with a DRM when you install the game. He had a mate of his purchase it from Steam instead and ran perfectly fine

What means fine? :cheeky:

I can run it quite well imo, with a retail version.

Oh, btw, my GFWL is pyrre6 (someone had taken pyrre... and gsto2... and gsto... AND far54...:mad: )

Nice reply Joe, I agree wholeheartedly.

One thing though. It does a strange thing where it eats your CPU, but my graphics card only goes up about 5 Celsius from idle no matter how long I play it. The only times it crashes are because the CPU usage hits 100%, then the FPS dies and it crashes back to windows. I have a sidebar app which traces a graph of CPU usage, when I quit GTA IV I can see the lines for both cores way up at the top, right up to the point where GTA IV ends, then they just drop down like a cliff. My processor ain't too shabby either, an Athlon 64x 5200+ (2.6ghz dual core, basically).

I think it needs a patch to somehow divert some of the work to the GPU instead. If that's possible.:oook:

Otherwise, I'll just turn down the settings a teeny bit. Hehe.

Oh, also, post your GFWL usernames in here if you want, mine is SKC Matt88

You have a AMD 5200+ the same as me I set everything to medium and left everything else default. Also turning off the video editor function helps a lot. I got 10-20FPS boost.

My Windows LIVE name is on the left panel it's the same as xbox LIVE. I used that as there is not a Windows LIVE gamertag place yet. Maybe if I buy something nice for Diablo for Christmas he'll add it. :cheeky:

Just got it!!

Nao installing!

EDIT: I need a WIndows Live account, RGSC account and what else?

A lot of luck. :p

But seriously that is all the accounts you need. ;)