We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

English, Welsh, Scottish, Irish or BRITISH?

Who

What do you like to refer to your nationality as?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. What do you like to refer to your nationality as?

• English
    • Irish
    • Scottish
    • Welsh
    • British
    • I have nothing to do with the discussion cause I am foreign, but if i see a poll i have to vote *fla

It's the other way round for Sport though. Lewis Hamilton the Englishman today, David Coulthard the British driver when he was at McLaren.

Same with tennis, Henman was always the Englishman, Murray is the Brit. BBC should just name themselves the EBC, thank god J.Motson is gone from most games but of course he will reprise his role from some Internationals. Fair enough say "we" when the game is being broadcast in that country only, but nationally keep it impartial.

Oh yeah it always make me laugh how a surprisingly large amount of americans class St Paddy's day as theirs, sure it's true for a good few but when you ask some of them what St Paddy actually did, they're like "he's Irish", bravo. lol

Totally agree. And dont get me started on bloomin Motson...

I am English. You may be Welsh or Scottish, but we're all British. When this place was Great Britan, we were proud of it. Cutting-edge technology invented by great minds from Great Britain allowed for the creation of all industry and world commerce, which revolutionised the whole world and made it like it is today. A while later Britan was united during the wars, but from there I think we have all started to fragment. Britain is slowly becoming like Scandinavia, united only by geography. I'm not nostalgic enough to lament that, the romanitic ideal of Great Britain is nice but it is of course the 21st century not the 19th.

So, the sooner Gordon Clown and his Scottish pals in the Labour party are out of Westminster and begging on the street corner, the sooner the Scottish independance refferendum happens, the sooner Scotland becomes independant, has a massive party and gets dog-boilingly drunk and stops spending English tax payer's money on making Scotland a better to live in than England (and pays off its £450 million over-budget parliament building), the fairer it will be for everyone.

Sorry, but I couldn't make that any less political. British politics is strange and very, very wasteful...

I agree on the scandinavia comment, but can you really think that seperating as countries would help? when the world is comming together through internet and flights, how can it be possible that we want seperation. not to mention that the EU waiting list is huge, and as much I hate the EU, if it means that there isnt border control between England and wales, then that is all the better. seriously, imagine if a holiday in scotland or wales needed a passport, or even a visa? The situation would be no more convenient than when the berlin wall went up.

LMAO, you sound like those idiots who think only England supports the UK, you know, you're right, Scotland, Wales etc don't pay any taxes, we all live in mansions and drive flash cars while laughing at the English tax payers who are footing every bill. Jeeeeeeeeeeessssus. :rolleyes:

BTW Scotland would do fine on it's own, England would have a lot more to lose.

Have a nice wee read of this article

This one too is funny and well written

the guardian article is hilarious :p

and were scotland to split, i could see the rest going straight off the bat, after scotland, we have the best natural reserves, if the nazis can make petrol from coal, so can we (yes, welshman coal mining, excuse the cliche)

As a country, the population is less than the population of london, and in the UK as a whole, ethnic minorities form a larger percentage of the population than pobl o cymru. we have the land to feed ourselves, and the hills to live on wind. steel is a large industry around here.

speaking of independance, does gaelic get taught in irish schools/ Scottish gaelic in scottish ones?

anyway, britain is better off together still, just cause it could work seperately, doesnt mean it should.

So, the sooner Gordon Clown and his Scottish pals in the Labour party are out of Westminster and begging on the street corner, the sooner the Scottish independance refferendum happens, the sooner Scotland becomes independant, has a massive party and gets dog-boilingly drunk and stops spending English tax payer's money on making Scotland a better to live in than England (and pays off its £450 million over-budget parliament building), the fairer it will be for everyone.

Sorry, but I couldn't make that any less political. British politics is strange and very, very wasteful...

Step away from the politics. There may be truth in what you're saying but politics on the internet... ja. Don't bother.

I thought this thread was just about what we referred to ourselves as when questioned on our nationality.

Politicians are failed actors.

Sort of. Politics these days is the entertainment branch of industry, which is why few people care about it. Why bother thinking about anything political or in the real world when you can buy things, watch Big Brother or read The News of the World and think you know about the world and also about Britney's new boob hair job babies cheating thing...

I am bitter because thanks to Labour's ridiculous idea of devolution, the Scottish people have another layer of pointless expensive beurocracy which, thanks to the efforts of the SNP are spending more taxes per person in Scotland than England or Wales. That would be fine but for the Scottish budget still comes out of the Westminster one, even though the things they spend on very often only benefit the Scots. Scotland have no university tuition fees... for Scottish or international students, so despite my dad's taxes going into the pot that the Scotch universities take from, I am not eligible for any benefit. Do you see why I am annoyed?

Either the Scots remove their-non government, or make it into a proper government and become fully autonomous. One or the other, please, don't mind which...

I saw I'm British but if asked where i live i just normally say south England. Have a bit of a problem with this because most places have someone to describe where they are in the country, south east (Kent ect.), south west (Cornwell, Devon ect.) but in the middle what do you call it?

Anyway anyway nationality is always British because that's what officially I am, can't remember ever saying to anyway apart form at borders what nationality i am.

I saw I'm British but if asked where i live i just normally say south England. Have a bit of a problem with this because most places have someone to describe where they are in the country, south east (Kent ect.), south west (Cornwell, Devon ect.) but in the middle what do you call it?

Midlands??

I just say south coast as I'm in Hampshire. If you want to sound "Ghetto" You could say South Central. Better still, Hampshire.

lol @ Nodz, the south of England isn't the Midlands

People from abroud dont tend to know where hampshire is. The question at the top seems to be about someone who dosn't know where yours from. There should be a name for hampshire, Berkshire, Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire. Above that really is the midlands, then south east and west to the sides.