We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Everything happens for a reason...

Eudemon

This is said by a lot of religious folks to justify when something tragic happens to someone or a load of innocents, but how can you honestly say their is a God when this can happen? I do somewhat believe in God don't get me wrong, looking around me with the universe etc in my mind it can't just be coincidence but stuff like this really makes me question myself.

And it's not the whole stray bullet falling from the sky thing but the fact a 4 year old boys head is no large target and to come through a roof of a church no less, I mean come on!

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/World-News/Marquel-Peters-Stray-Bullet-Kills-Boy-Three-Miles-Away-In-Decatur-Church-Near-Atlanta-Georgia/Article/201001115513798

Please don't turn this into a whole HE exists vs HE doesn't exist debate, I just want to know if this also just like me makes you have some doubt or if it just confirms what you already believe anyway.

That's sad, but at the end of the day stuff like this happens all over the world, just look around at all the needless violence and loss of life, if we are such a perfect species in God's eyes then why are we how we are? In my opinion it is human nature and there is nothing we can do about it, and this fact alone is a strong argument against God's existance.

Not saying I don't believe in him outright, but you can't prove either way.

This is terrible news, condolences to his family

This to me is truly sod's law. The fact a bullet could be fired from that far and hit a target so small, that was inside a building makes my head spin, especially from an AK47 bullet (not very aerodynamic)

This doesn't even make me think about whether a divine entity exists, but more about the legality of guns. As a UK citizen I could go over there and own 5 guns, even before becoming a full US citizen. My friend recently got a gun license (so he could have one .022 rifle) for here and the restriction was ridiculous, he had to have the police check to make sure his house was secure, even though they had allready been to the house for the same check with his dad's shotgun.

strangely enough, over here we don't get death by falling bullets...

That's very true, Who..

It's a sad story hearing about this and the family must be devastated. But honestly, how many people in the US would actually need to use their gun... Apparently it's protection, but many people now can see through that.

What i hate is that they're so connected to their weapons in US. Everyone was afraid of Obama becoming president because they thought he would have made guns illegal...

This is a pitiful act.

OMG.

I am never firing a rifle into the sky again! (I sometimes do some target practice at my grandads farm)

That's amazingly unlucky. :(

Poor kid didn't even get a chance at life. :|

No, god does not exist. Might as well pray to a jug of milk.

unbelievable...cannot believe that bullet actually had enough inertia behind it to go thru a roof and still hit the child with enough force to kill him.

but it enforces something i have always believed, when your time comes, your time comes. Death never discriminates between a youngster and an old fart, and everyday it occurs in some truly sad,cruel,unusual and even tragic forms world wide.

so enjoy the life you have, it could be over all too soon.

and go tell your family you love them, NOW.

go tell your family you love them, NOW.

I agree with everything you said, but if I went and told my family that, they would have me thrown into a mental institute! :p I don't do "love".

I always believed in the "when it's your time, it's over" thing too. :)

Unfortunately, this has happened before.

It pisses me off that this kind of stuff happens and it makes it worse when you look at the chances of happening.

It's just unbelievable that this happened and I hope the person who decided to shoot of their gun turns themselves in.

If the Russians weren't Communist then they wouldn't need any AK-47s and none of this would have happened. Damned Commies. I HATE THEM I HATE THEM I HATE THEM!!!

/sarcastic rage

Yeah, er... Well...

It's a sad fact but you can be killed by anything, anywhere at any time of your life. Chance is ridiculous and doesn't rule it out.

Stories like this make me proud to be a smoker because it's silly to pretend you'll never die and spend months of your life in a gym and eating horrible food all your life with the idea of being healthy and living longer. Your life may be longer by a few years, but you'll only spend them in a hospice sitting in your own faeces waiting for your own moment. Non-smokers die every day.

A longer life isn't and can't be scientifically proven to be a good thing. A full and happy life is what matters and if I get that with a combination of atheism, plenty of sex, developing my own morals, forming my own political convictions, profound laziness and a pack of John Player's (just because Lotus are back in F1 again), where's the harm in that?

You need to decide what's important in your life. Nobody will live it for you and, as you've just read, it can be ended at any moment by any series of events which are possible at that present time, however improbable.

Hunter S. Thompson always liked the power coming to terms with his mortality lent him, and I can say through doing it there's a contentment with acknowledging your own ability to kill yourself, whether through disregard for healthy living or with a weapon. Just as long as you don't do it too soon. Which he did. But nevermind.

I'm here for a long time yet, please do not be alarmed by this bleaker point of view!

OMG.

No, god does not exist. Might as well pray to a jug of milk.

Some people actually do that.

This is very infortunate that this happened, The Odds of it happening are probally 1/100000000000. Espically through a roof. I Hope the guy with the AK did go to the police and turn himself in!

Its funny to me how quickly people are willing to blame God when things go wrong. When things go right/well they don't say a thing.

People get killed by stray bullets all the time (and while this is very tragic don't get me wrong), just look how many British troops have been killed by Us friendly fire.

I have no idea why God allows some things to happen... and anyone that tries to explain it is either very close to him or a complete liar!

I do believe that situations like this should serve as a wake up call... start taking some responsibility for owning a gun (or for your own actions/life). People want that freedom to do what they want, but don't stand up and answer when stuff goes bad. "Oh it was someone else's fault... God did it"

"It was God that made me get so much into debt, now the government should pay me benefits so I can survive."

Sorry for being an advocate here, but this discussion has been pretty one sided so far. :)

Thats why a shot should alway be a safe shot! You can't just shoot into the air, insane, shoud be a clear line through what your shooting into the ground. I suppose its the whole cowboy things of shooting into the air but with anything other than a shotgun this is stupid. RIP to the kid.

This just brings me to the question : "Why do we live in such wierd world?"

Why do we have to fear every time we go out somewhere. That we might get attacked, robbbed, murdered, shot or hurt in any way. I just don't feel safe anymore. Every day hundreds innocent people die for no reason at all. What has the world come to? The guy that fired that bullet will probably never be found. But the hearts of the boy's family will forever be broken.

R.I.P. :(

God is the God of life but He also owns death. He decides to take whoever He wants, whenever He wants, where ever He wants and however He wants. God does not have the same fragile feelings as us, of course He is the God of everlasting love but His plans and His will is above our understanding... Do you know if that kid would die of some horrible disease after about 10 years of living here? Do you know if that was to teach the kid's parent some hard lesson? Do you know what things would of happen if that kid wasn't shot? No, you don't and neither do I. Only God knows and only He has the right to do whatever comes into His concern.

People like to blame God for everything, like to say that He doesn't exist because there are African kids dying of hunger, because some crazy communist decided to practice genocide, because science says no when it actually says yes. If people knew about the Lord a bit more, they would know that all these tragedies and sufferings are signs of His coming. But no, its easier and better for us to deny God and continue to live the way we want to. Shame really....

Not trying to prove that God exists, I just find it kind of ironic when the world says that Christians blame the devil for everything when it is them who blame God for everything also.

- Baltoman

This thread needs Bill Hicks!

God is the God of life but He also owns death. He decides to take whoever He wants, whenever He wants, where ever He wants and however He wants. God does not have the same fragile feelings as us, of course He is the God of everlasting love but His plans and His will is above our understanding... Do you know if that kid would die of some horrible disease after about 10 years of living here? Do you know if that was to teach the kid's parent some hard lesson? Do you know what things would of happen if that kid wasn't shot? No, you don't and neither do I. Only God knows and only He has the right to do whatever comes into His concern.

Baltoman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R370YkYhV0w

Stories like this make me proud to be a smoker because it's silly to pretend you'll never die and spend months of your life in a gym and eating horrible food all your life with the idea of being healthy and living longer. Your life may be longer by a few years, but you'll only spend them in a hospice sitting in your own faeces waiting for your own moment. Non-smokers die every day.

A longer life isn't and can't be scientifically proven to be a good thing. A full and happy life is what matters and if I get that with a combination of atheism, plenty of sex, developing my own morals, forming my own political convictions, profound laziness and a pack of John Player's (just because Lotus are back in F1 again), where's the harm in that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eresu96T8a0

2:50 onwards... Strong language warning blah blah blah