We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

1985 Renault R5 Turbo II for sale!

Buy Me! 1985 Renault R5 Turbo II... in Oregon

by Zach Bowman (RSS feed) on Apr 30th 2010 at 7:24PM

01-turbo-630.jpg

1985 Renault R5 Turbo II – Click above for high-res image galler

Given how close everyone is to pulling a Fred Flintstone and yabadabadooing the hell out of the office for the weekend, allow us to provide you with a quick little diversion. Behold what could possibly be the most gorgeous example of a Renault R5 Turbo II we've ever set our eyes upon. This sucker wears the same paint it bore from the factory, and with a scant 25,500 miles on the clock, it's as close to new as anything from France, 1985 can get.

Inside, nearly everything is original save a few choice modifications. The stock steering wheel has been given up in favor of a suede Momo piece, and the factory buckets were swapped for a set of period Recaro thrones. They are the perfect shade of late '70s brown, and we love them. The owner points out that unlike most R5s, both the dash and door panels were never cut for a stereo.

If you're fretting over the fact that this car has had less than 1,000 miles put on the odometer ever year, don't. The seller is the second owner, and claims this set of hips-with-wheels has been meticulously maintained by none other than the experts at Ron Tonkin Gran Turismo Ferrari. You know, the oldest authorized Ferrari dealer in the States? Yeah. Those guys.

If you want it as badly as we do, get ready to fork over a serious chunk of change in a hurry. As we write this, there are less than two days left on the eBay auction, and the starting bid of $47,500 has yet to be touched.

Like how you can see the Ferrari in the background in one of the photos, to have had this in the collection shows you're a true collector. It's immaculate! I expect some wealthy Frenchman will snap it up.

Two days left and 0 bids? I think it's a pretty clear indication that Yanks just don't get this kind of car... When it comes down to it, what they'll see is a tiny, ugly, impractical 25 year old French hatchback with an asking price twice that of a brand new Mustang, which really is a shame for such a wonderful motor

Two days left and 0 bids? I think it's a pretty clear indication that Yanks just don't get this kind of car... When it comes down to it, what they'll see is a tiny, ugly, impractical 25 year old French hatchback with an asking price twice that of a brand new Mustang, which really is a shame for such a wonderful motor

What are you talking about? People in the US love this car.

Really? It's a generalisation/stereotype, i know, but don't most Americans laugh at small hatchbacks?

Umm... no.

Hatchbacks are quite common over here. Really, really common actually. They are great on gas mileage for the most part. They have lots of room in them. They tend to be quite useful.

What are you talking about? People in the US love this car.

Love? Somehow I don't think that's true. If America loved it maybe Renault would actually sell cars there.

America has the new Mini, I think that's it from the small euro hatchbacks. (Note: The rest of the world doesn't count the Focus and such as small hatchbacks.)

The market for that R5 Turbo would definitely be bigger here.

Love? Somehow I don't think that's true. If America loved it maybe Renault would actually sell cars there.

America has the new Mini, I think that's it from the small euro hatchbacks. (Note: The rest of the world doesn't count the Focus and such as small hatchbacks.)

That's true. Redvette, if I'm not mistaken, you guys classify the Jetta as a Compact over in the States, but over here it's already a mid-sized sedan

Most European car companies don't sell their car in the US because it's not profitable. There's too much competition.

That's true. If I'm not mistaken, you guys classify the Jetta as a Compact over there, but over here it's already a mid-sized sedan

Yep, It's different car cultures. That car is nestled in European car culture, small fast cars is what we've always been about. Sure there are people Stateside who appreciate them, as redvette clearly does, but I think your assumption was fair.

Same for Muscle cars, they are infinitely cool, but fit in and are desired more in the USA.

Most European car companies don't sell their car in the US because it's not profitable. There's too much competition.

Well, plenty do but it's the models they choose to take. BMW, Audi, Mercedes, Jaguar etc all do fine Stateside because they produces mid to high end saloon cars that fit in with what the public wants. Companies like Renault and Citroen don't really produce any cars that the American public want.

The Mini does well across the pond because it has the cool image, which is why I envisage the new Fiat 500 achieving success over there, because it's seen as a style choice rather than being one made purely because you couldn't afford the V8.

Just as was said, Renault's won't sell over here because there is already WAY too much competition. If they were to sell cars over here, no one would even noticed they have arrived.

Little sporty hatch's like these would sell fantastic over here is people were able to notice them.