We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Hawaii to Install Anti-Drifting Roads

iLLGT3

A friend of mine sent this to me because, as many of you probably know, I am A HUGE fan of drifting. :rolleyes:

Is Hawaii's solution to illegal street drifting an increased support for draconian law enforcement or enactment of anti-hoon legislation? Nope. Anti-skid road surfaces that have the added bonus of making the roads safer for everyone and faster for enthusiasts.

Residents along Hawaii's twisty mountain roads have long complained of the noise and danger caused by punk kids illegally drifting, but the police haven't been able to deter the practice. Rather than fitting speed cameras, speed bumps or otherwise ruining the roads for slightly more law-abiding drivers, the local government plans to pave the mountain curves in a high-grip surface that'll virtually eliminate skidding and therefore drifting.

In this instance called Tyregrip, but also known as Shellgrip in the UK where it's used to improve the safety of very dangerous corners and slippery bridges, the technology packages a very sharp aggregate inside a tough resin and is applied on top of the existing road surface.

Read the rest here.

Is it just me or does TDU2 need this along Kelekole Pass?

It's a good idea and it will probably work. I know what type of road they're talking about because some of that stuff got laid near my house as a result of a crash I was in. :lol:

It really does stop skidding and has so much more grip than a normal road surface, even in heavy rain. Although you can still wheelspin on it but not very much at all.

Sounds interesting, drifting is too dangerous for public roads and should only be done on proper tracks, one mistake and you're done. I think its a good idea as then people that like driving fast are more likely to get faster times and more grip. though I suppose understeer could be an issue.

Very good idea, taking that ridiculous behavior to the racetrack, even if that means they have to fly to one. :p

It's also better than our government, they would only install more bumps in the street, or place roundabouts everywhere, which only increases the amount of places you can drift.

Because it probably is?

Anyway, I had a thought: What happens if you're already skidding when you hit the new patch of road? Do you instantly rocket forward in the direction the nose is pointing? Or have a big tankslapper as a result of more grip+countersteer?

It's a good idea...as much as i like Drifting! If it's for safety and it works then let it be! Although if theres such a big problem with illigeal drifting/racing.....if theres a track in Hawaii(is the one in TDU based on a real one?) then they should open it at night for the locals to use, it's safer as its in a controlled enveroment!

Least i can sit in the knolage that this sort of stuff will probally never make it to where i live! as The roads are a mess(there are no pot-holes...just trenches!) and that Aberdeen, and Aberdeenshire council's are near enough skink!(well....Aberdeen's council are about £50million in the red!).

I agree it's a smart idea. Does it look any different to normal roads? Near the city on some corners there's grooves cut into the road in Melbourne. It's a good idea but probably not the same as the stuff they're putting down in Hawaii.