We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

SSC to Bugatti: "Oh, it's on!"

gingervette

I can post this here because, unlike the TDU2 forums, a thread of this nature will not turn into a flame/fanboy war on these forums :)

Shelby SuperCars to Bugatti: Oh, it's on!

by Noah Joseph (RSS feed) on Jul 12th 2010 at 1:59PM

aero-pocono-web.jpg

SSC Ultimate Aero – Click above for high-res image gallery

Despite radically different approaches, Shelby SuperCars and Bugatti have been playing a high-speed game of one-upmanship for years. First the Veyron took the prize with a 253.8 mph top speed run in 2005. SSC stepped in and bested that two years later with the Ultimate Aero TT. And just recently, Bugatti threw down the gauntlet once again with its 267.8-mph Veyron Super Sport.

Don't think for one minute though that the Veyron SS will go unchallenged for long. The two-three year spread between Bugatti/Shelby bouts may lead us to believe that the Veyron will hold the crown for at least the next few years, but according to reports, SSC isn't prepared to wait that long.

Our compatriots over at Jalopnik quote sources that SSC has a new supercar in the works that could debut this summer. Congratulating their French rivals, the American firm will reportedly take on the Bugatti benchmark with a new Jason Castriota-designed package. Whether they can squeeze out an extra dozen miles remains to be seen, but we'll enjoy watching them try.

Even if they do beat it in top speed again they will again prove their ineptness of not even being able to compete with the Veyron in all that it entails.

Throw a massive hp engine into a lightweight supercar and hit a higher speed, woopee, noone will care apart from American fanboys who only believe in straight lines and quarter miles.

BTW read this interview of the test driver who piloted the Veyron SS to that magical number.

http://www.0-60mag.com/news/2010/07/bugatti-veyron-supersports-16-4-speed-record-debrief/

And note this part in particular:

The Veyron is an everyday car which you can drive as easily in traffic in first gear as on the other side, which you can go 268 miles per hour. With that car, with that engine, with that gearbox we did like 30 preparation runs around 260 miles per hour just to be sure. And this car will continue to be used as a test car. And I was saying to the [engineer] ‘But I will not get a new gearbox? A new engine?’ I would have preferred starting with something completely fresh, completely out of the box. But it is not a problem.

As the discussion has revealed MANY, MANY times, the Veyron is two tonnes of luxury. The SSC Ultimate Aero is a car that's been made to be light and fast. I would rather get from A to B in comfort, rather than get there with a mentally sore back. (Says the guy who has his motorbike's suspension on the hardest presetting...)

I like that fact that SSC is going 'challenging' Buggatti. I look at it as what I like to call the 'Pony Car War' but on a Supercar level. I probably don't even have to go into the pony car thing, but I guess I will so that you guys will know what I'm on about. Basically in 2010, a Camaro V6 produced 305 or so hp, and the V8 produced 415. Your 2010 Mustang V6 had 210 hp, while the V8 had 300. So, to be more competitive, Ford upped the power to 310 in the V6 and 420 in the V8.

Basically what I'm saying is, when one company nudges ahead of the other, their rival will do the same. It's a never ending loop that will only benefit one person, and that is you, the consumer. Who cares whether you like the Veyron over the SSC? In 60 years time when you become a wealthy Coke Lord trying to hide your black money, you'll dump it into a 2070 Bugatti Veyron that has a top speed of 5,672.38 MPH! And that was thanks toooooo, the SSC, whose workmen will be busy in a little shed in Texas trying to create an SSC that can go 5,672.43 MPH :cheeky:

The Veyron SS is a sheer piece of technological perfection.

While that is true I'm sure, it's not exactly as if the SSC isn't technologically brilliant.

It's not a kit car, it just resembles some other cars. So what? The Ferrari F40 looks like a toned down Countach, has no power steering, is impossible to park, an uncomfortable interior and no luxuries - all it does is go fast, and everyone loves it. The SSC isn't designed to be comfortable, it's designed to be exciting to drive like the F40 and the McLaren F1 and to be fast.

The engineers at SSC used common sense when designing their car, starting from the ground up. The Beyron project was royally screwed from the beginning, and the only reason the Veyron is as good as it is is because they were told to make a car that could be comfy and do 400km/h.

In a way, they Veyron's construction was much much more focused on top speed than the Aero's was.

However, I do wonder what would happen if you shoved the Bugatti engine into the SSC.

Nothing would happen, it'd start blowing fire from it's exhaust pipes and going in circles like a crazed firecracker xD

Back on topic, SSC should stop doing whatever it is they're doing. They know that even if they do break this speed record, Bugatti will have even faster versions of the Veyron (i think). And they should also realize that the only people who like them are 8-year-old boys who think the fastest is the best. That's why there are so many Dagger GT fanboys out there.

Well, it might seem that I jumped in here, but, at least from my point of view, these are two cars, that are just two different worlds.

On the one hand you have the Bugatti. It is pursuing the old Bugatti values, first and foremost: perfection! The Bugatti's purpose is to be the most luxurious, elegant. However this time they added two more things: to be the fastest, and to preserve the ability to be driven as a everyday car.

I'm not quite sure about the 'most elegant' part, as I would take a Galibier any day, but in all other aspects they have suceeded.

The Aero on the other hand, well as I see it, it is an non presedanted effort to make the fastest car, but by apsloutly neglecting all other values that make the Bugatti the better car. I mean, in terms of comfort these two are as different as the British queen and M.Jackson (no dis-respect to the Brits!).

Let's see it like a David vs. Goliath fight.

Wich one's better? Well, that depends on the things that you like/want with hypercars.