We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Test Drive Unlimited 2 PC Beta (Closed) Officially Underway!

Eudemon

• Replies 514
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

christ you could grow massively tired of repeating yourself,.

Not me. If I thought it would make a difference I'd bang on about it every day. I've made my mind up based on what I have seen and until Atari/Eden prove me wrong (more info please) I'll continue to do so.

...And they will probably continue to delete my posts from the official TDU2 forum too.

it does count for something, you can tell the difference between rfactor and burnout just by looking at it, if you cant then you shouldn't be commenting on physics anyway. i really hope they are listening because everything else looks great but they run the risk of failing badly if they dont get the handling right.

i also think they should reconsider a hardcore mode, i know they want to bring it all together rather than having two separate physics, but i think its good to separate the serious gamer from the 10 year olds.

I Totaly Agree :thumbsup: well lets put it this way... We (real racers) r playing TDU2 and than some 7 years old joining us... He can't drive so he starts to crush our car... u gettin pissed n turning ur PC/Console off.... So yeah i think they should do 2 separated physics :);):p

BTW Sorry 4 :badspelling:

we know from the last game there is driving aids and you comment on how you've played such and such a game and can see the difference between the two. Obviously thats because you've played it. Take for example say forza 3 had a beta running and you hadn't seen gameplay videos. I could drive like a spoon make the handling look terrible and you could base your opinion on that. It wouldn't be sensible. I say until you see a solid review or offical gameplay video don't drop it yet

[mod edit:] Please do not swear or use asterisk's to mimic swearing, thanks.

Guys, you are forgetting something.

Test Drive never was a simulator.

Just look at NFS Shift, they wanted to do a sim game and for most of the people, is a fail game. Because is not 100% real and quite fake in some stuff.

So, EDEN/Atari will not risk the game by doing it 100% sim that's why they did something like we saw. (I guess)

I totally understand that TDU isn't supposed to be a simulator, because like I said, I'm not expecting a simulator.

But cars doing tight 90 degree turns at 100km/h is too arcadish for some people and they'd like a hardcore mode.

IMHO, though, I don't see the point of driving cars based on bizarre and OVERLY unrealistic physics...

Some people might appreciate unrealistic physics, but why not a hardcore mode for sensible people?

Why not?

Shift failed because EA messed with what SMS had already done. SMS are no newcomers to simulation games and EA is no newcomers to screwing up games that were coming along brilliantly.

Did Shift actually fail though?

There was enough interest for a sequel to be confirmed, and personally I thought it wasn't a bad effort - the cockpit view/graphics is still the best of any game out there at the moment, and while it's not exactly GTR, it's a lot better than a lot of other games that allow car upgrades on the PC.

I wouldn't judge fail on just forum ranting - most of the EA forum shouting came from people who probably found even the realism that there was there too much :p

Good point about splitting above, but presumably that's just a question about visibility - if HC mode was seamlessly integrated as just another driving aid option then I doubt the userbase would feel like it was split.

i agree. i personally HATED the zero gravity effect of Hardcore mode. so i refused to use it. because of that i get called names and people refuse to cruise with me because i'm an "arcader" and "cant handle HC like the Big Boys". oh well,not my problem.

yeah, i know a lot of people want to claim that HC is more "lifelike".......really?

the stuff i witness people doing in game with HC is most certainly not lifelike in any way shape or form.

On consoles Shift didn't fair to well I believe, PC was the same until they started modding the hell out of it. Jammy beggars!

Regarding HCm being realistic, it wasn't realistic as a whole but it had realistic traits in my opinion, the weight transfer and inertia at high speed when switching lanes. Sure the oversteer was exaggerated and the low speed understeer and brakes were utter crap but it was a good basis to start from and if they can remedy the moon gravity, the drum brakes on every car and fix the handling then I think they will be onto a good thing.

One thing I really liked about HCm was the rear of high powered cars stepping out over raises and also when landing from a jump. :D

It doesn't have to be a sim, it just has to be comparable to driving an actual car. If there is no skill needed to play this game, then there is no aspiration, no point to playing it. If they move the slider closer to the sim side (not all the way), at least after playing it for 3 years, most of you would be better drivers in the real world. If you try to take a 90 degree corner at 100kph in real life, you won't be here tomorrow (and unfortunately, stuff like that happens all too often).

There is no need to be a professional racing driver to play this game, but by the time you finish, maybe you might be an ameture one. :) Balance is obviously needed here, and is being sought. After all, turning driver aids off should mean 'use the brakes or crash'. If I drift around the north-east part of O'ahu in TDU1 with aids off in Hardcore mode you get a sense of achievement. 'I did that', not some computer algorithm that makes the car feel like its on train tracks. That's all TDU2 needs to make me happy. I drive in real life every day, so I shouldn't have to learn how to drive in TDU2, because that's how different the physics are.

That's just my 2c - hopefully the rest of you see that as a balanced opinion. I don't care how arcady the physics are with Driver aids turned on full, you can have that if you want, even if that means you're at the top of all the leaderboards. I'm just happy to cruise around with friends.

Shift is alright in my books, just not enough tracks to hold my attention. The main reason people play sims still is usually due to the modding ability (sounds familiar). :)

Haha I can see it now:

21st September

00:04 - TDU2 goes gold!

00:37 - Game goes to presses

04:36 - 1,000,000 Shipment is ready

05:39 - Sent out Worldwide

08:58 - Delivered to shops ready to sell

*phew*

You forgot about the parts after its release.

11:00 - Fans protest over the forums for better physics

11:04 - TDU2 Servers bombarded with protest bog the system down

11:05 - TDU2 Servers down

11:30 - 500,000 of the 1,000,000 sold

13:00 - Sales drought amid bad reviews of the missing features

14:00 - 500,000 locked in a vault under the sea

18:00 - TDU2: Resurrection announced

Yes I know, I'm horrible. :twisted:

You forgot about the parts after its release.

11:00 - Fans protest over the forums for better physics

11:04 - TDU2 Servers bombarded with protest bog the system down

11:05 - TDU2 Servers down

11:30 - 500,000 of the 1,000,000 sold

13:00 - Sales drought amid bad reviews of the missing features

14:00 - 500,000 locked in a vault under the sea

18:00 - TDU2: Resurrection announced

Yes I know, I'm horrible. :twisted:

lol :lol:

Have some cookies! *leaves bag for others*

It doesn't have to be a sim, it just has to be comparable to driving an actual car. If there is no skill needed to play this game, then there is no aspiration, no point to playing it. If they move the slider closer to the sim side (not all the way), at least after playing it for 3 years, most of you would be better drivers in the real world. If you try to take a 90 degree corner at 100kph in real life, you won't be here tomorrow (and unfortunately, stuff like that happens all too often).

There is no need to be a professional racing driver to play this game, but by the time you finish, but balance is obviously needed here, and is being sought. After all, turning driver aids off should mean 'use the brakes or crash'. If I drift around the north-east part of O'ahu in TDU1 with aids off in Hardcore mode you get a sense of achievement. 'I did that', not some computer algorithm that makes the car feel like its on train tracks. That's all TDU2 needs to make me happy. I drive in real life every day, so I shouldn't have to learn how to drive in TDU2, because that's how different the physics are.

That's just my 2c - hopefully the rest of you see that as a balanced opinion. I don't care how arcady the physics are with Driver aids turned on full, you can have that if you want, even if that means you're at the top of all the leaderboards. I'm just happy to cruise around with friends.

Shift is alright in my books, just not enough tracks to hold my attention. The main reason people play sims still is usually due to the modding ability (sounds familiar). :)

Excellent post.

Reminds me a lot about what Henrik Roos (SimBin CEO and Professional Racer) says - they don't set out to create a simulator in terms of the exact player input etc. but they aim to simulate the experience of racing, that is, cars respond and have the response transmitted to you in a way which makes the experience of driving the same.

That could well mean that it's not actually a 100% accurate physical simulation, but it's more enjoyable and useful as a player who is emulating a race driver, rather than being unable to play the game because we've not had 10 years of motorsport experience through the different categories.

I strongly believe that eden and atari have spent to much time on the social network instead of the actual meaning of the game.How hard is it to to bring forza like physics into a game like this?..... Can someone please answer that.

They could do Forza physics.. but then all the compute resources would be doing that, instead of allowing such a huge free form world to ride around in, so you'd have to have fixed tracks to select from etc. Ultimately, you'd end up with another Forza type game, but if you want that, get Forza :p