We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Look! An SLK That Men Can Buy!

gingervette

Officially Official: 2012 Mercedes-Benz SLK pops its auto-tinting lid [w/video]

by Noah Joseph (RSS feed) on Jan 13th 2011 at 9:25AM

web630-2012slk-class10.jpg

2012 Mercedes-Benz SLK – Click above for high-res image gallery

The thing about innovation is that to follow up, you tend to need another dose of innovation to keep people interested. Case in point: Mercedes-Benz having shoes to fill with its little SLK. The original was one of the first cars on the market with a modern retractable hardtop, taking after its costlier forebearer, the SL. And fourteen years later, with nearly everyone fitting folding tin roofs to their convertibles, the Stuttgart has launched the third-generation model with Magic Sky Control.

The innovative roof, as we've reported in the build-up to its release, adjusts the tinting of the glass panels automatically. It's an option, and buyers can still get a solid metal folding roof or a fixed-tint glass one if the electronic trickery is too much. Naturally, though, that's not all that's new about the new SLK.

The latest compact roadster from Stuttgart sits on a new platform with new styling. Whereas the outgoing model aped the SLR with its Formula One-style nose, the new SLK takes its cues from the SLS AMG with its more upright grille. The new shape is also more aerodynamic, and Mercedes has incorporated a new transparent panel between the rear roll hoops that tilts to optimize airflow and keep turbulence in the cabin to a minimum.

The SLK will launch in the North American market in SLK350 guise, packing a 3.5-liter V6 good for 302 horsepower and a 5.4-second sprint to 60 mph. The 1.8-liter, four-cylinder, 201hp SLK250 will follow, as is expected the naturally-aspirated 5.5-liter V8 SLK55 AMG. The new SLK gets its official launch later this month at the head office in Stuttgart in celebration of the company's 125th anniversary, with its public debut slated for the Geneva Motor Show in March. Follow the jump for a video and full press release, but be sure to check out the high-resolution photos in the gallery below.

Gallery: 2012 Mercedes-Benz SLK

[source: Mercedes-Benz]

Headlights are a bit C-class-y but I'd still pass. I wouldn't even want a 135i convertible.

(1M coupe, that's a different story. :cheeky:)

Guys... Lol

What about the Mercedes Benz SL 63 AMG Ryzza? It's convertible. Hmmm... or the new BMW Z4? ;)

SL63, sure! I wouldn't want a Z4 though. I'm not sure why.

Is it just me, or have the SLKs been getting progressively uglier with each facelift/generation change?

Come to think of it, the CL facelift and new CLS are fairly horrible too

Yup. BMW are at it too with the 5 and 6. Just the 3 left to ugly up and they've got the whole core range covered. Seems to be a bit of a German problem at the moment.

At this point I was going to go on about how ugly the cheif designer of MB must look but I have no case there upon performing a quick search :)

I have no chief designer :cool:

And i agree, it's a mini SL, but this one has the gay look that the SL doesn't have.

For that price i'll take a pre-owned Z4M Coupé.

It's alright, I wouldn't buy one, infact I'd never buy any convertible car because I just don't like them, no matter how masculine they may look.

This instantly reminded me of the C-Class though which shows that you don't really need to be creative to get paid in the Automotive industury these days.

The same problem that all the German manufacturers seem to have these days. Ooo, look at our A4, it's a slightly smaller version of our A6 which is a slightly smaller version of our A8. We've made the most minimalistic design changes to each car to warrant charging you an extra 20K for each step up.