We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Doing It Wrong!

gingervette

Spy Shots: BMW flings M3 pickup around the 'Ring

by Zach Bowman (RSS feed) on Mar 15th 2011 at 2:07PM swipe-breaking.gif

m3-pickup.jpg

BMW M3 pickup spy shots - Click above for high-res image gallery

There aren't words to convey just how happy this makes us. With Spring officially licking at the sanctified asphalt of the Nürburgring, testing season has kicked into high gear. Our elite squad of spy photographers has set up camp to take in the action and happened to catch this bizarre beastie obliterating its tires amongst a herd of other BMW mules. As you might expect, there's exactly zero information on the machine other than it looks for all the world to be an M3 pickup.

Trust us when we say that we're going to sleep more soundly tonight knowing that somewhere in the world, this creation exists.

We have no idea what the BMW engineers are up to with this one, though we love the idea of an M3-powered spiritual successor to the El Camino throne (bonus points for the camouflage as racing stripes motif, too). Assumed to have the same 4.0-liter V8 found in the nose of the current M3, this beast should be be good for 414 horsepower – perfect for making lickety-split runs to the hardware store.

We'd sell a passel of vital organs for a little seat time in this thing, even if it does simply turn out to be an early April Fool's joke. The shots are real, so perhaps BMW's design team are just blowing off some steam, or readying a one-off for Europe's tuner extravaganza of choice, the Essen Motor Show?

An M3 should never be a "pickup". Its an M3 for a reason. It looks ugly on that picture. IF they actually make that, I am totally disappointed. Pickup trucks are one of America's strong points when it comes to vehicles and they should stay there. We don't need to do them too :/

Any why the hellzzz would you want a truck around the 'Ring ? That's just stupid...

Eww eww eww! Those cars should never ever ever ever be mixed.

Also, some guy made his E39 M5 into an Australian ute. It was a conversion done by Stuart Appleby (golfer i think) that looks hideous. Don't be fooled by the photography either.

BMW-M5-Ute-0.jpg

BMW-M5-Ute-2.jpg

I love it, I'd probably choose this over the coupe.

BMW, Audi and Mercedes tend to play it way too safe and their new cliches have been quite boring as of recently so it'd be good to see something new like this, although I'm doubtful whether this will go into full scale production.

Every BMW that has been modified in such amounts (Utes wtf) is just ruining the car. Sorry but if I saw that "M5" if you would call it, on the road I would just laugh. Its hideous! Ute's are so lame anyway.

BMW will never put this in full scale production. Ute is something you want to carry things with maybe and so on. You don't want to go around a track with it, just get the coupe for that :/

and M3 GTR Ute ? Fail...