We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Nice, but worth $700?

Ryzza5

As you all probably know (and are sick to death hearing about :p), I have a Golf that looks like this:

2010-volkwagen-golf-TSI-rear.jpg

Some owners have found the new LED tailights that come on the Golf R (top-of-the-line R32 replacement) and have retrofitted them, sharing instructions for all:

That's great - installation should be dead easy (considering I've already retroffited the RNS510, Premium Bluetooth, and MDI options), but the problem is that the Ebay site lists them for $700.

Maybe at around $300 I'd go for them (even that's a fair bit) but I'm open to your opinions. Firstly, do you even like them, and will they suit my colour car (since the Golf R obviously doesn't come in that shade of blue)?

I really like them. But then again I like anything sparkly and LEDish. A quick currency conversion from AUD (I'm guessing) to GBP says £450, which isn't too bad in my opinion. You could spend alot more on something that looks alot worse. :)

The price is alot, but it looks Factory fitted! And Pritty neat!

See if anyone else makes cars in a simaler colour and do LED rear lights for a rough idea of how they'd look!

Up to you really, it may seem alot to some but if you really want to have that extra 'Wow' factor with the car(And depends on how much your modding it) then it'd look nice! My friends think I'm mad wanting to get a Set of RS Watanabe's for my MR when I could probably get some lookalikes much cheaper...but it's things like that that matter to you!

Meh, yeah they look better but when I see things like this I generally go "oh dear, couldn't afford the R" $700 is a fair bit but the simple answer is if it makes you happy, do it.

On an unrelated side note, ditching the R32 moniker and replacing it with R was lame. R32's were the *ahem*.

I like 'em a lot, but the price... heh. Did a conversion on Google, and it said $700 AUD is ~$740 USD. It's pretty steep, especially for taillights, but they're LED's! :)

If I were you I might hold off and save up a bit. But it's your choice. :)

They are genuine VW parts, hence the price and the likelyhood that reversing lights won't be any better (Golf R owners have the same complaints about it as the rest of us). I could buy a genuine reversing camera kit for ~$600 but installation is much trickier.

I got my car second hand, t. - much cheaper than what the car would cost brand new. A brand new at my spec would've cost around $40,000AUD, whereas the Golf R is getting around for $75,000. I'm not a big fan of loans or credit cards, so I bought mine outright. For me it's not about the price, it's about justifying it. The Premium Bluetooth kit set me back about $400, the MDI about $300, and the sat/nav infotainment system about $1200, but for the additional features it was easy to convince myself that they were worth it.

Unsurprisingly, most of you guys like it, which is good. I think the plan will be to wait a couple of months to see how 'common' the LEDs become on the other Golfs, as I think they're now available as options for the lower models starting from the MY11 range. If they're still fairly exclusive then I'll go for them to renew the look of the car. :)

The R32 was a 3.2 litre V6, whereas the Golf R has a 2.0 litre TSI engine, for better economy, but still a bit more powerful. The MK6 Interior is a great place to be in as well compared to the MK5.