We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Goodbye Holden

ScoobSTi

Reports are saying Holden will stop making cars in 2017 and will turn into a "national sales company", whatever that means. :( That's all I really know at the moment, so feel free to add stuff to this thread as more news comes out.

Looks like us Americans will never ever see these machines. So those of you that live in areas where Holdens are sold, BUY THEM ALL NOW!

RIP :(

2014_holden_vf_commodore_ss_01_1-0215.jpg

2007-Holden-VE-SS-V-Ute-Range-1920x1440.jpg

I'm sad to see Holden go. Over the past 10 years, they were the best products GM made besides the C7 and C6 Z06/ZR1!

Apparently nobody in Australia wants domestic cars. Ford announced a while ago they were pulling out. Funny thing is, everyone outside of Australia wants American-branded Australian cars. Those cars would do well in the US.

News reckons 3,000 jobs at Holden are affected and up to 50,000 in the automotive industry here. They now expect Toyota to also leave.

Holden will remain as an imported of GM cars.

New Au government has removed $500,000,000 of assistive funding over the next x years and have supposedly been selling cars at a loss in recent years to compete with the booming Korean market. Government has now also prompted Holden to announce their intentions before the end of the year for the benefit of employees and GM has probably seen fit to close them down.

On the one hand you've got buyers who want cheap or value for money cars who buy Korean or similar, then you've got people who would upmarket stuff who buy Japanese or Europe. Holden is somewhat in between - popular mainly as fleet vehicles. We hardly import any cars from the USA either. Jeep, Dodge, Chrysler, et al are all rare sights here.

Well, only a certain type of hoon goes for those cars, which is their main fanbase I guess, and I'm not too worried about them. Not sure what they'll switch to - can't see them replacing the cars with BMWs, etc unless they bring out a cheaper, less refined, performance focused version.

I seen this story cropping up alot in the past week, shame to see its true. But alot of different things being said.

Apparently it's just the local made Holdens, i.e the commodore. This is no doubt because Ford are killing off the Falcon and replacing it with the Mondeo/Fusion.

So expect Holden to become like what Vauxhall is, just Opels with a different badge and the steering wheel on the right side of the car.

Mitsubishi had an outfit here too apparently

How could you Forget Lonsdale? ;)

Opel did come down here the other year but just recently closed up shop due to not enough sales.

I was reading about that a few weeks back.

What I was surprised at was I though Holden mostly sold Vauxhall/Opel stuff with a Holden badge slapped on, but after looking at what they sell a few weeks back was that it's mostly the Korean made Chevys(Re-badged Daewoo's)....outch.

The Holden Cruise used to be made in Korea but in recent years was made locally. I test drove one - was decent but I didn't like the dashboard and the steering was way too light for me. Had good features for the price though. Most recent models are the VF Commodore (local) and the imported Malibu (still haven't seen any). I have seen one Holden (Chevrolet) Volt as well.