We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Diesel sport cars

RobikV3

Yeah yeah, every type has its own pros and cons. But I think having a 6 cylinder diesel wagon as a daily family hauler (not that I want kids) and a weekend petrol car is... just nice. The right combo. 535d Touring & 911 GT3 RS, hmmm?

When I rode in an X6 30d two years ago, I was quite surprised how good actually an I6 diesel sounded under load and higher rpm's both from outside and inside. A6 BiTDI does sound nice thanks to the gadgets, too.

Is it just me or does the A5 sound like a GT-R. :lol:

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

imho you'll feel better inside an A6/A7 than inside a 5 series for 1 thing only..build quality.

It's an issue with bmws, and they need to get around it. The 4 series and 3 series are shameful, the 5 series is better but after a few months it will have some rattles.

Also about diesels:

Throttle delay: nearly nuked with bi turbos, and if you get the chance to try a tri turbo it shouldn't be there at all^^

Sound: A 4 cyl diesel will never sound a charm, but if you go for 6 cyls, specially now with piezzo injectors, they do put out good sounds!

Torque: this is what makes me enjoy diesel, no need for high rpms to get pulled against the seat while accelerating, power's there when you need it.

Petrols have their own advantages too but it really comes down to your driving style I guess.

I'm not a speeder, nor do I like to be in a car and hear nothing but a revving engine, so a diesel suits me fine because I do enjoy going out of a corner and feeling the car pull without having to be at high rpms etc xD

It's just not clever to say petrol's the best, or diesel's the best. It all comes down to what rocks your boat the best, and what gives you the biggest smile while driving.

The remap in my car gives me the same torque figure as the diesel Golf but with more horsepower, and it's got max torque from under 2,000rpm, so it's not just diesels that are good at that. I realise diesels are very popular in Europe but down here they're more expensive to buy and service compared to petrol equivalents so the only people that buy them are those who rack up their mileage faster.

I've driven a couple of diesels and I have to say that I still prefer petrols. Put your foot down a bit and it's already time to change gear. And I prefer the sound of petrol engines. Some diesels exhausts sound nice but not the actual engine that you hear when driving the tractor.

There are quite a few positives to diesels though but none that I am really concerned about at the moment. I don't really do many miles each month nor do I need to tow anything yet.

Plus, do anyone make a nice diesel soft top?

Plus, do anyone make a nice diesel soft top?

In my opinion it's just criminal to order a convertible with a diesel engine. If I was to have a convertible half the reason for having one would be to be able to listen to the engine properly.

*Pulls up at lights* *dagadagadagadagadaga*

Nah, a convertible would most definitely need to be a petrol for me :p

imho you'll feel better inside an A6/A7 than inside a 5 series for 1 thing only..build quality.

It's an issue with bmws, and they need to get around it. The 4 series and 3 series are shameful, the 5 series is better but after a few months it will have some rattles.

True dat.

Also about diesels:

Throttle delay: nearly nuked with bi turbos, and if you get the chance to try a tri turbo it shouldn't be there at all^^

Sound: A 4 cyl diesel will never sound a charm, but if you go for 6 cyls, specially now with piezzo injectors, they do put out good sounds!

Torque: this is what makes me enjoy diesel, no need for high rpms to get pulled against the seat while accelerating, power's there when you need it.

Petrols have their own advantages too but it really comes down to your driving style I guess.

It's just not clever to say petrol's the best, or diesel's the best. It all comes down to what rocks your boat the best, and what gives you the biggest smile while driving.

True dat. However, the lag will always be there, even minimal. Modern turbo engines really have no lag at all. Auto trannies also can hide the turbolag a bit. Turbo engines are mapped to make full torque in low and mid rpm's, so there's really no point in revving the engine to its redline as it used to be with NA engines. And for daily driving that's all you need - smashing the throttle without downshifting. ;)

As for diesel convertibles, well, I would never ever buy one. That's just sacrilege!

I highly dislike diesels, they smell terrible & they sound like tractors

Yea you can't drift around roundabouts with a diesel and get all the chicks with a diesel.. :/ I mean, I'm never sure if it's a car or a combine harvester when I hear a diesel :(

Yeah, but you can't now because your parents have sold all your car toys to afford a fat all-wheel drive diesel sedan. So you're out of the game. Bai.

That's what I call ALPHA!

Not having a "cute" car :cheeky:

Yea you can't drift around roundabouts with a diesel and get all the chicks with a diesel.. :/ I mean, I'm never sure if it's a car or a combine harvester when I hear a diesel :(

Let's make this thing clear:

CLAAS: Merc CDI

John Deere: BMW d

Old Porsche tractor: VAG TDI PD

I thought I could impress chicks with my consumption numbers? I mean, 4.8 liters in a white swagon with a sport pack! That's straight ballin, bewbs!