We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

That 'Forza for PC' you've been wanting could be Forza for PC.

TurboDuck

[headline]That 'Forza for PC' you've been wanting could be Forza for PC.[/headline]

forza-motorsport-6_branding_1-800x300.jpeg

The 'Forza for PC' that many have been asking for could turn out to actually be Forza for PC if a recent rumour from Chinese website WPDang is to be believed.

It is reported on Windows Central that Microsoft have plans for making Windows 10 big in gaming and part of this is using the Windows Store to be more appealing in this aspect, by being the exclusive vendor of their own first-party titles such as Forza Motorsport 6. And it was actually a bit of a surprise when it was recently revealed that Remedy's Sci-Fi shooter Quantum Break,...

Read more on this...

I saw this, I like it but I don't want to hope for too much as it's been rumored before and I feel it would be a strange move on Microsoft's part to release one of their strongest exclusives like that.

The only good thing is (the assumed) improved wheel support (not just Xbox branded ones).

And the fact that all PC players would be able to play it...?

The only good thing is (the assumed) improved wheel support (not just Xbox branded ones).

This, I wouldn't mind playing FM6 with my wheel if they'd add cross-platform saves and so on but otherwise I wouldn't be too excited :mhmm:

Let me guess, DX12 only ? -.-

That, and Win10 if it happens.

The irony is as a non-paying PC multiplayer customer, I wouldn't want to be hitting the same public lobbies as all those paying parents' kids :lol:

Watch this all the way through to get the joke I'm making:

Then again, I wonder if MS would still require XBL Gold for the Windows 10 releases. Can't remember what the situation with GFWL was. I think you needed a Silver account to sign into, and only need Gold if it was cross platform. RL will not be cross platform on XBL fortunately.

Then again, I wonder if MS would still require XBL Gold for the Windows 10 releases. Can't remember what the situation with GFWL was. I think you needed a Silver account to sign into, and only need Gold if it was cross platform. RL will not be cross platform on XBL fortunately.

That's a very good question to be honest. If they're even trying to implement any kind of "pay to play it online" they could as well just turn over and re-create Windows Vista. It's a whole different story with MMO-games that you actually pay to play anyway, but I for one would not pay a penny from playing games online on my PC (apart from the internet connection of course).

I remember playing few games on GFWL back when it was the "thing". GTA IV and few others that I can't remember right now, but they did not require any kind of subscription to anything. Just the LIVE account which is free.

As for the original topic, I will be looking forward to the PC version of Forza! Hopefully they'll buff up the graphics a bit, and add up a mod support and so forth. :cheeky:

I wonder if this whole "pay to play online" came here to stay... Why is it implemented on both consoles. I mean, I payed for the console and for the game, why I would pay for a service that has been always free? Ok, I know those servers won't keep running without throwing money at them, but come on.... Is there any real advantage about an online pay service and free online service?

MS keeps telling us that they're don't judge success by number of consoles sold (they're many million units behind the PS4), but rather on the service delivery (i.e. Gold). If that really is true, that might explain why we could see more exclusives on Windows 10. That would also explain the charge for servers. Why make something free if millions are willing to pay for it, even if they don't use it much. A XBL Gold subscription worked out more expensive than an Office 365 University subscription, which btw included 1TB of OneDrive (server) space.

Xbox Live Gold has always been seen as a money grab and when Sony went free multiplayer with the PS3 it was even more evident. However Sony then brought out PS Plus which gave you free games every month and exclusive discounts and sales which made paying for a service not seem like such a bum rap. However, with the difficulty in working with the PS3 and the multi-plat titles always seeming to perform better on the Xbox 360, it did little to stop Xbox Live Gold grabbing millions more subscribers.

But with Sony dropping the free games still and Microsoft just taking the money for what was a lot of p2p connection based games people started speaking out, they didn't stop joining or renewing though, and eventually MS started dishing out the free games too and jumping on better 'Gold' flash and seasonal sales. Sony see this and bring multiplayer into its paid service, and how can you blame them, when MS showed people will keep paying; XBL I believe is like $2bn a year for MS.

Nowadays paying for these doesn't seem too bad because of the free games you get every month and also the pretty good discounts and sales. On Xbox One it's actually more accepting with the amount of games that use dedicated servers or the MS Azure platform. PC players though are a totally different species, they are so used to not paying for multiplayer with a typical game that if it was tried (again) they will bail so fast, so MS needs to offer something really enticing to get them on board. What that could be I have no idea. I'm sure in time though they will get there, whether it will take the time it took to get Gold as something verging on desirable rather than a necessary expense, remains to be seen.

MS keeps telling us that they're don't judge success by number of consoles sold (they're many million units behind the PS4), but rather on the service delivery (i.e. Gold). If that really is true, that might explain why we could see more exclusives on Windows 10. That would also explain the charge for servers. Why make something free if millions are willing to pay for it, even if they don't use it much. A XBL Gold subscription worked out more expensive than an Office 365 University subscription, which btw included 1TB of OneDrive (server) space.

Xbox Live Gold has always been seen as a money grab and when Sony went free multiplayer with the PS3 it was even more evident. However Sony then brought out PS Plus which gave you free games every month and exclusive discounts and sales which made paying for a service not seem like such a bum rap. However, with the difficulty in working with the PS3 and the multi-plat titles always seeming to perform better on the Xbox 360 it did little to stop Xbox Live Gold grabbing millions more subscribers.

But with Sony dropping the free games still and Microsoft just taking the money for what was a lot of p2p connection based games people started speaking out, they didn't stop joining or renewing though and eventually MS started dishing out the free games too and jumping on better Gold price flash and seasonal sales. Sony see this and bring in multiplayer into its paid service and how can you blame them when MS showed them people will keep paying, XBL I believe is like $2bn a year for MS.

Nowadays paying for these doesn't seem too bad because of the free games you get every month and also the pretty good discounts and sales. On Xbox One it's actually more accepting with the amount of games that use dedicated servers or the MS Azure platform. PC players though are a totally different species, they are so used to not paying for multiplayer with a typical game that if it tried they will bail fast, so MS needs to offer something really enticing to get them on board. What that could be I have no idea. I'm sure in time though they will get there, whether it will take the time it took to get Gold as something verging on desirable rather than a necessary expense, remains to be seen.

Thanks for your insight. As a PC player I'm not willing to pay for a service to play online, as you pointed out. However if somehow it works for them and everyone starts to pay, then there won't be way out...

• 2 weeks later...

Hello!

Microsoft recommits to PC as place for new video games

225f5132-df2a-11e5-be9f-116c364d7f9f-780x438.jpg

At a media event last week, Microsoft outlined plans to grow a business built primarily on a game console to one also focused on the personal computer, pushing its own studios to release games for the PC and positioning Windows as a platform to buy games across device types.

[...]

Among them is “Forza Motorsport 6: Apex,” a version of the auto-racing franchise developed by Microsoft-owned Turn 10 Studios. “Apex,” a slimmed down version of its Xbox cousin, will be released free to users of Windows 10 this spring.

[...]

This was leaked before it was supposed to be published and the original article has since been taken down but the internet never forgets and the full cache stored article is available on Google: Microsoft recommits to PC as place for new video games

:msuh3:

With bleeding edge race cars like the 2014 Audi #2 Audi Team Joest R18 e-tron quattro, modern masterpieces like the 2017 Ford GT, and classic American Muscle like the 1973 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am SD-455, the cars in “Forza Motorsport 6: Apex” represent the far-reaching diversity that is part of Forza’s DNA.

63 cars on a total of 20 tracks, with new events and Drivatar support it doesn't seem to be as limited as I feared, now I finally have an incentive to upgrade to Windows 10 on my desktop machine (which I was planning on doing this summer anyway...) :eek: It also uses DirectX 12!