We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

TDU2 needs ...?

Eudemon

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know I already put in my two... But here are a couple more...

1 - Enahanced Video mode. The ability to remove HUD, and have different camera angles. Also to free move the camera around (freecam). This is to allow people to make a video a'la the Top Gear videos.

2 - Deploy an SDK with the software so that people can develop modifications for single player, and also develop maps that can be distributed for use either in single or mutliplayer (i.e. have them either replace a portion of the existing map, or add onto the region). This would be an excellent way for people to fill in some of the unused terrain.

3 - (okay I know you only wanted 2, but this came to me as I was typing the ones above, I am such a rebel) - The ability to search friends and invite them to a server session so that you dont have to use the ingame session matching server. Perhaps even have the ability to rent a portion of a server for a certain amount of time (a virtual instance of the world, since I am pretty sure that they currently use several virtual instances instead of a physical server for each 8 people). Or even better, the ability to rent your own server that you could load with whatever mods you wanted. A'la Counterstrike and Battlefield. These would be used for free-roam modes and mods and wouldn't tie back into the ranking, or money system on the production servers to avoid cheating and stat padding. This would allow some money for continued support of the community.

I know I already put in my two... But here are a couple more...

1 - Enahanced Video mode. The ability to remove HUD, and have different camera angles. Also to free move the camera around (freecam). This is to allow people to make a video a'la the Top Gear videos.

2 - Deploy an SDK with the software so that people can develop modifications for single player, and also develop maps that can be distributed for use either in single or mutliplayer (i.e. have them either replace a portion of the existing map, or add onto the region). This would be an excellent way for people to fill in some of the unused terrain.

3 - (okay I know you only wanted 2, but this came to me as I was typing the ones above, I am such a rebel) - The ability to search friends and invite them to a server session so that you dont have to use the ingame session matching server. Perhaps even have the ability to rent a portion of a server for a certain amount of time (a virtual instance of the world, since I am pretty sure that they currently use several virtual instances instead of a physical server for each 8 people). Or even better, the ability to rent your own server that you could load with whatever mods you wanted. A'la Counterstrike and Battlefield. These would be used for free-roam modes and mods and wouldn't tie back into the ranking, or money system on the production servers to avoid cheating and stat padding. This would allow some money for continued support of the community.

I like suggestion one. The others just seem too unlike Test Drive Unlimited and I don't think it really needs mods etc.. That would just ruin it slightly. We just need more cars from the maker of the game ;)

I like suggestion one. The others just seem too unlike Test Drive Unlimited and I don't think it really needs mods etc.. That would just ruin it slightly. We just need more cars from the maker of the game ;)

Ummmm, yeah.. I'm gonna have to go ahead and disagree with you on that one. - Bill Lumberg :)

Yeah, the ability to listen to Internet radio in-game is what I was expecting in TDU, but it was missing.

Also, Improved traffic. Not how they drive, but much more variety in the traffic, and maybe some "regular cars" within the traffic. Also having the occasional supercar/sports car in traffic WITHOUT it wanting to race you would be pretty mad.

3rd thing: <I Know its supposed to be 2> Some more Australian cars WITH Australian branding. I know the 360 got the efijy but that was concept, and it never reached PC.

"Correct" use of surfaces, as in, the airport is tarmac, the various carparks are tarmac, the gravel you find at the edge of the track should slow you down alot more than the dirt at the side of the road, various parts of earth should have different qualities, i mean, whenever you go off the road it looks as if you're kicking up sand, maybe if it actually looked like mud it, with bits being kicked up, it would be better.

Speedo should display the actual reading the car would give, atleast for the incar speedo anyway. for example, if you are driving an AWD car like an RS4, come off a hill, hammer the throttle and the speedo should fly up, being as all the wheels, including the one measuring the speed, are spinning like crazy...

• 2 weeks later...

another two...

Bike handling needs improving. at low speeds (sub 20mph) you actually turn the handlebars instead of leaning to gert around corners, the amount of leaning is ridiculous, and i dont think anyone has mentioned that bikes dont actually have reverse gears

the style of motorbikes should be different. you shouldnt be constrained to looking like a power-ranger/complete tit. you should be able to have leathers, different helmets, and cruiser/custom style motorbikes. i mean come-on, they are by no means the fastest bikes around, but tell me that a harley doesnt sound like a cool idea on the roads of oahu...

You know what's funny guys i was playing tdu this evening and i came up with the exact opinion <<* Passenger-cam; allows friends and other players at your acceptance to jump in and take ride with you in your car, 2 in front and 2 in back if vehicle permits (I don't think this has ever been done before!)>> like Diablo said this will be wicked joyriding yeahhh imagine that taking girl players for a ride in you viper or lambo or ferrari yeahhh.

• 1 month later...

F.A.O. – Test Drive Unlimited 2 Development Team (TDUteam)

Dear TDUteam;

We at www.tdu-central.com have been discussing, in great depth, what features we would be interested in seeing in the next Test Drive unlimited title. As a large community website and forum designed for lovers of Test Drive Unlimited we feel that these views are important and that you should be made aware of what your community would like to see out of the game. So we have put together this e-mail which outlines the details, features and improvements that people would like to see available in the series.

Section I: Must Haves

In this section we show the areas our members feel are a must have for the next Test Drive Unlimited title.

·Improved support on current formats and more communication to the community

Your community would love to see more support for the game itself, for example, downloadable content for the PC as well as Xbox 360 and if the new game is released on PS3 then downloadable content for that as well.

They also feel there should be more information available to them; instead of being told “the latest car pack will be available soon” they feel they should be informed when to expect it and if there are any delays then this should be passed on if allowed immediately.

·Dynamic Weather with a Day and Night cycle

This explains it-self really, we really want weather in this series, it would just add a whole new dimension to the gameplay and with a day and night cycle it would make this game absolutely incredible and would easily be a crowd puller if done correctly.

·Realistic engine and exhaust sounds

We’re sure you tried very hard on the engine sounds for the last game, but to be honest the community thought most of them were poor. So for the next edition we request that you can endeavour to record or get your hands on some truly realistic engine and exhaust sound recordings as truly it does.

·Customisation in the form of body kits, wheels and livery editing and slightly more in-depth tuning.

I’m sure you’ve seen this in a game before, and so have we. And we like it, so why not bring it to us in TDU, only make it available on cars that would be seen with body kits, we don’t really want body kits on Ferrari Enzo’s but on cars like the Audi A3 a body kit would be acceptable. Tuning should also be better with the option to tune certain parts of the engine instead of all of it, examples being the ability to add turbos, a better exhaust and maybe even some bigger brakes just to give a bigger game experience by being able to have your own car as in your styling with your design.

As for the livery editor that would be an upgraded version on the paint shop where we can add maybe some stripes and decals to help personalise our vehicle. We just want more control over paint options so we can have the cars looking how we want them. Ability to colour the interior like you do the paint would be good, we don’t mean adding neons or anything but it would be great if we could create some crazy schemes like a white exterior with an orange interior by selecting them separately. You could even see if some companies like sparco or the like would be interested. (probably wishful thinking!)

·All dashes, speedometers and instruments working properly in the vehicles

This is probably one of the factors most of the community want to see remedied. Certain cars do full 360’s (and more!) of their dials and the cars and bikes with digital readouts are completely blank which completely disillusions you especially as other titles manage it and do it as well as TDU does without the errors. The rev lights on the Enzo’s wheel are another prime example as are the non-working 3rd brake lights on a lot of the cars. A little more attention to detail works wonders in getting people to remember and promote your game, TDU’s windows sound change is no exception and it’s a feature a good few people ask for elsewhere now.

·Smoother and less bumpy/choppy roads.

This one is self explanatory really, we would like the roads to be more lifelike so that you can drive along them without being thrown in the air at relatively low speeds or causing your car to understeer into a barrier ...or even the sea. Sure hills are fine, but please make them more realistic in their inclines and smoothness; jagged stairs are not that fun to drive on.

·Number Plate Generator.

Basically the community want to create their own number plates, just a simple system that allows users to edit them, they can simply be the same as the country/state that the game resides in but allow the characters to be changed only, however being able to add your country flag to the plate would be a nice little and welcome touch.

·Environment affects your car along with a damage system.

This is something that would make the game fun. If the game had weather it could work like this. You drive through a field and get dirt and grass build-up on your car (and wheels? Affecting traction), then it starts to rain at which point the dirt washes off but thicker parts turn to mud, and eventually after a lot of driving begins to disappear but the car then gets dirt off the road.

The dirt then stays on the car until you go to a car wash, at which point it is then washed off.

The above could also be worked into a damage system, so if you grind a wall your paint comes off and goes onto the wall. The community wants damage in the game even if it is just cosmetic (no engine damage, just damaged panels) it would make many drivers concentrate on what they are doing instead of driving at full speed everywhere.

·Improved physics for the cars, control and animations of the bikers

Basically people want the cars to act and respond in a more realistic manner. Starting with the cars it's basically to do with the weight and movement of the car itself but more importantly it's all about the lack of gradual acceleration/braking along with severe understeer at normal turning speeds that takes some of the fun away from the driving.

As for bikes, it's all about the movement and animation of the rider, i.e. how they seem to be stuck to the bike rather than leaning into corners, sitting back or standing when pulling a wheelie and also not being able to slide or spin the rear tyre, it takes away the wow factor of having bikes in the game. PGR4 and MotoGP is a great example of what people are looking for. Basically just a more natural looking rider rather than an object stuck to the bike. Some people would also like that the bikes not pull so easily as in the front wants to lift under heavy acceleration (could be a difficulty thing like Hardcore mode eXtreme. J ).

·More working car features such as indicators, wipers and roofs on the convertibles.

This one explains itself really, the community would like to have more working features and these would be the favourites of the bunch. It would be quite easy to do as it could be a sub option on the d-pad like the radio stations and chronopack. Imagine a left menu with Lights: On/Off, Hazards: On/Off, Roof: Up/Down etc… As for indicators we think one option could be using the Left Analogue stick on the 360 as in pushing it down then pressing LB or RB could work fairly well. Another option for the indicators and hazards was a different amount of left stick clicks, ie 1 = Left, 2 = Right and 3 = Hazards.

· Improved photomode with less compression and actual ability to upload images taken

We all love taking photos. So when we learnt that TDU had a photomode we all thought great. Then better news came along, we would be able to upload the photos on to a website. Sadly this never happened. So in the next title an improved photomode with first and foremost less compression and a much higher quality final image would be an amazing improvement. The shots you can take in this game are amazing but unfortunately the compression kills it. Making the camera freeform as well as allowing us to take aerial shots, in car views, and other camera options would be great. As well as an actual working photo upload system.

·Show the player(s) that are currently talking. I think this one needs no explaining

Section II – Environment.

This section will explain what we would like to see for the Environment of TDU.

·Polish the graphics and colour palette to be more photorealistic

There are mixed views on this. Some gamers feel that if the game looked like real life then, it would take away some of the fun factor. Sometimes games are meant to be games and some gamers like to be able to notice that. However some gamers would love photo-realistic graphics in the game. The whole idea of driving their favourite car in the best graphics they have ever seen really appeals to them especially from inside the car or sitting on the bike themselves. So really for the next TDU title the graphics could be improved and perhaps the colour palette toned down to more real worldly though this isn’t a big thing but is just something some of our members asked for.

·Working gas/fuel stations, you have the option of using them though maybe some challenges could require them

Some gamers want to see the gas/fuel/petrol stations in the game being used. So why not make it that we can have the option to have gas in our cars or not. It could be a quick selection in the game options section. Maybe even some challenges could be forced to use them. The ability to drive onto them without getting stopped dead because they float above the road would be helpful also. ;)

·Larger island or environment with more roads

Sure the island on TDU was huge but for the next title we would like a bigger island. The current island is too small and does not take long to go around. On many occasions people find themselves going around the island more than once in the same session of gaming. So if there was a bigger island or just more minor roads then this problem would be less likely to happen.

·More stop off locales i.e.; multi-storey and underground car parks, lay-bys and such like

Ever feel like a rest while driving? Well if not I know that we do, so why not lets us have some stop off points such as multi-storey car parks and lay bys where we can pull over off the road and relax for a few minutes.

·Random number/licence plate's on NPC cars

When driving along we seem to see many cars with the licence plate TDU 505 and this can get confusing if we need to take insurance details. So why not have it that when a traffic car spawns it is given a random number plate. (What’s with that white truck that has something like CRX XXXX)

·Broader range of NPC cars, buses, city cars, taxi's, jeeps, trucks and the occasional ice-cream van

I think this one explains itself really. We would like to see more A.I. cars; it would be more realistic and give the island/city a better feel.

·Drag strip plus more race tracks

Now I know this game is about cruising around the open roads, but why not give us more race tracks and a drag strip so we can organize some events or just relax and take it easy at the drag strip. Sounds like heaven to me. What do you guys think?

·Being able to park yourself then entering your house via a button press rather than a cut scene

Another one that explains itself really, we want to park our own car, and not have a video do it for us. It can’t be too hard to do, and it will make the game experience much better for us. All about the immersion for us you see.

Section III – Car and Bike improvements.

This section will tell you what the TDU Central community would like in terms of improved vehicle simulation.

·Wheels in motion (not steering) animations should be more realistic, right now they stay the same speed no matter how high a speed you're doing

While driving along at 15mph we noticed the wheels turned at the same speed as they do at 215mph, so I thought that can’t be right. So when we go faster our wheels should spin faster just like they would on a real car. Most car games use the forward and backwards effect that we see through cameras and our eyes and when watching cars on TV or film you see this all the time so it would be good to see this improved in future titles.

·Full 360 degree rotation of the vehicle ala PGR and Forza

Right now when you move the right stick and pan around the car it locks at 180 degrees meaning you can't look around the whole car with one full circle of the right stick, you need to do one revolution and then reverse it back again. It’s a small thing sure but we would like it to turn the full 360 degrees instead of what it is just now.

·Less glare with the lights, make them more real world not like twinkling stars

This is something a few people mentioned and to be honest the way the lights are just now is very cheesy and cartoon like what with the way they sparkle like a dodgy toothpaste advert. Making them with less glare and more real world would increase the immersion yet again plus it would make taking photomode shots that much better instead of having to angle the camera to cancel the light glare out. The Maserati Spyder is probably the best of the lot in the game for an example though it still needs a slight reduction in jazz hands glare.

• More animations for drivers and riders

This should be more realistic. I.E: pulling the handbrake, pushing the horn, flicking the indicator stalks, looking behind when reversing and last but not least either reaching for the radio or flicking the remote on the wheel when turning up the volume or changing station. As for riders pushing the brake and no reverse gear, have it ala PGR4 and MotoGP where the rider walks the bike backwards please. Stunts ala PGR4 would be very welcome also as would the rider and bike movement which allows burnouts, sliding and donuts, in fact this little addition would make the bikes more appealing to those who don’t use them.

• Distant sounds of cars getting louder or quieter.

As there distance changes you should be able to hear the car more/less depending on whether they are getting nearer/further away from yourself. If you were behind a supercar you would know and if it was behind you then you would definitely hear it before you see it. Being able to hear distant sounds from about a 2-3 block distance for example would be great !

Section IV – Tuning

• Ability to tune your car in the same way that Gran Turismo and Forza allow you to

The community is actually fairly split on this, where a good few want the ability to finetune their car themselves and squeeze every bit of performance and grip out of it others are less inclined and mainly want the car to look fast via customisation and be fast with different tuning options or packages. Mainly the ability to separate your vehicle from others is the main request. For the ones who want this though this doesn’t mean that they want lots of car engine parts, what they want is the ability to be able to tune their cars performance, for example changing gear ratios to improve performance or altering downforce to increase grip in the corners.

• Ability to save setups, for example a racetrack, a fun drift course or just aiming for a top speed run

So once we have tuned a car, it would be great to be able to save the setup so we can use it at certain places. For example we could tune a car for the racetrack and then save the setup as racetrack.

Section V – Physics

• More realistic driving physics, maybe a pro mode or something

While driving a car you expect there to be body roll on corners, on this game we don’t seem to experience this. So for the next game we would like to see this plus greater level of travel in accelerating and braking pressure, locking brakes would be nice on older cars and ones without ABS too.

Section VI - Vehicle Selection

The main point of this section is to show that the community want a larger variety and type of vehicles to drive.

• Off-roaders and 4x4’s for all the off road terrain and general driving fun they would bring

• Luxury Marques such as Bentley, Rolls Royce, Maybach etc

• More classics such as older Ferrari's, Mini's, MG's etc

• More everyday cars such as rep mobiles (Laguna, 407, Mondeo, Passat etc) and hot hatches i.e.; Focus ST, Alfa 147, Clio, Fiesta, 207 etc...

As you can see we feel that a game like this should include more than just fast cars as it’s good to slow down and just cruise rather than be balls to the wall over 200mph all the time.

Section VII – Single Player Story and General Game Improvements

·GPS Improvements.

For the next game we would like to see more improvements to the GPS. A north marker is a must and having the option to rename our homes on the GPS would allow us to create garages for our makes of cars and find them easily. It would also be cool to implement bookmarks into the GPS, think of the on-body inventory in Alone in the Dark and imagine the camera pans into the GPS system and there is a tab for Favourite Places or Bookmarks.

·Sorting vehicles to make selection and finding a particular model that much easier

Very simple thing but annoying when not there, so some sort of ability to sort our vehicles alphabetically or by Power, Price, Class etc would be less frustrating that what it is now.

·Able to arrange vehicles and place into garages and keep them like that

Most of us were very surprised at how we couldn’t do this in TDU but now we would like to ask that you consider it for TDU2. Being able to setup that Ferrari, Lamborghini, Classics, Bike garage would be excellent and if the

·Hardcore mode integrated in the game rather than a separate option with it's own races and challenges

Yes instead of having to select hardcore mode at the start of the game it should become an option in the game. With races made accessible in hardcore mode or some special hardcore mode only races this way all users will have to use hardcore mode at some point.

·Being able to take your car to the dealer or a garage for servicing and repairs if wanted

This should be an option that can be turned on and off when needed. So if you are racing you can turn it off and while cruising you can turn it on. Garages can be placed at fuel stations and people can stop off for a service which will take about a minute to complete.

·Ability to walk around interiors such as dealers, shops and your garage with the option of photomode

This would make the game more realistic and allow us to get a better look at the cars, it would also allow for some interesting photos.

Section VII – Multiplayer Mode and Improvements

·More players in a session like 10, 12 or even 16

Sometimes eight players is just not enough, so why not let us have ten, twelve or even sixteen, now this would be good but could obviously cause problems for people with poor internet connections.

·Improved netcode, no more pulling in front of another player and finding that you take them out, also traffic sync needs improving also.

So you’re overtaking your friend and think you have passed them so pull back in BANG you have sideswiped them off the road. This needs working on for the next game, as does the traffic syncing; it seems to take a long time for a player to sync to their friend while cruising with the traffic lights being different colours for each player.

·Ability to set waypoints for all/locked in session and stay in a session

regardless of leaving map.

A bit like setting a bookmark but in online mode, it would transport the whole session there or set everyone in the session so have there GPS directing them to the same place, without having to leave the session and risk loosing there place in the server. This would also tie in to having a party system allowing you to visit shops and dealers and still be in the same session when you leave.

·Passenger-cam; allows friends and other players at your acceptance to jump in and take ride with you in your car, 2 in front and 2 in back if vehicle permits

We think this would be a first for a game like this and would be a major talking point. Allowing passengers in your car would be great and even though it seems completely stupid and quirky, that’s what makes it a brilliant addition in our opinion. Also sometimes some players don’t feel like driving or they need to go eat or something so why not let them ride with a friend meaning they can still play the game but relax at the same time. Think of the fun that this could bring to the game as well as the kudos for being original and having creative ideas of your own rather than imitating the rest that are out there.

·Cops and Robbers

As the title says, cops and robbers, one person is the cop and can make their car a Police car and the other is the robber using their car as the getaway car. Bigger pursuits like 3 vs 5 or if the number increases in online, 4 v 6 and so on.

·TDU TV

We think that being able to watch races as they happen from your in-game house would be great. As well as your own replays and photos you could also allow players to record 1-10 minutes of in-game footage (depends on our memory space) which we could then upload online, share with friends and view from our television in our house. Saving these with names that we can set ourselves would be a real bonus.

Well you’ve reached the bottom and we hope you will take some of these into consideration and endeavour to make TDU2 a true successor to TDU, a game some of us had waited years for and still play it even now where we are sometimes more than a year from the original release. We wish you all the luck, fun and frustration that comes with game development and look forward to any reply you may give us, however if not then we would just like to say that we love this game and the series very much and are true fans and can’t wait until small droplets of info start to fall about the next title in the TDU series. Well hope these will be of interest to you and thank you for taking the time to read and acknowledge these suggestions from a part of your community.

Kind Regards and Best Wishes

All staff and members at TDU Central.com

http://forum.tdu-central.com

If you wish to view the original thread this list originate from then feel free to take your browser here: http://forum.turboduck.net/showthread.php?t=1909

Thanks to all members for there ideas, A big thanks to ME(baldred) for writing it and to Diablo for going over it and adding extra bits he felt were required.

Thank you very much for ME (who's that) and Diablo for writing this. I must say I have read it all. And those were the best bits of the list. The one which stood out for me was the passenger cam, and hopefully they will pick up on that, as it hasn't previously been done. And would also make TG much more easier :p

btw who is ME?