We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Microsoft Warns PC Users To Avoid Safari

hesonly5

Dunno how many of you use Safari (I do), but either way...

Microsoft is investigating new public reports of a blended threat that allows remote code execution on all supported versions of Windows XP and Windows Vista when Apple’s Safari for Windows has been installed. Safari is not installed with Windows XP or Windows Vista by default; it must be installed independently or through the Apple Software Update application. Customers running Safari on Windows should review this advisory.

At the present time, Microsoft is unaware of any attacks attempting to exploit this blended threat. Upon completion of this investigation, Microsoft will take the appropriate measures to protect our customers. This may include providing a solution through a service pack, the monthly update process, or an out-of-cycle security update, depending on customers needs.

Source

In Other Words...

Leading global software firm Microsoft has warned PC owners to stop using Safari, which is rival Apple’s equivalent of Internet Explorer, following the discovery of a dangerous problem with the programme.

TechRadar reports that last week it was discovered that Safari does not ask the user for permission to download certain filetypes, meaning that it would be possible for hackers to remotely upload hundreds of .exe files onto a browser’s desktop.

Microsoft is now saying that users of the PC version of Safari should limit their use of the browser until either itself or Apple comes up with a fix to exterminate the bug.

Source

OR, in yet other words, Apple want your PC to be hacked so you'll get fed up with Windows and buy a mac XD

oddly enough, at the hackathon thing a while back, the way they got remote code to work on vista was via flash, its funny that M$ never told people to stop using it, unlike a product quickly gaining publicity by one of their biggest rival companies... *rolls eyes*

Hmmm, that's interesting. They may be on to something though, i run Vista Ultimate and i always used to use Safari until one day it got an error report and shut itself down. That was about 2 months ago. Since that happens, everytime i try to run Safari, it comes up with an error report straight away, and i've un-installed it and re-installed it again 3 times :p.

Ah well, i like the new Firefox much better anyway.

Guest RB26DETT

never had a problem with IE7 but i switched over to Firefox just for the heck of it. besides, firefox has themes! :D