We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Topgear - Changing presenters?

CarMadMike

010908-a-mph08-580op.jpg

This past Monday, the UK's Labour deputy leader, Harriet Harman, unveiled the so-called "Equity Bill" which requires state-funded organizations (like the BBC) to increase the amount of female, black and gay staff to better reflect the diversified population of the island. If the reforms go through, everyone's favorite motoring show might need to kill off one of its presenters Stig-style and add a female cast member to the trio.

Naturally, the controversial reform is bound to have consequences beyond Top Gear, but much of the Daily Mail's coverage of the bill revolves around Clarkson, Hammond and May, along with some particularly quotable academics. Take, for instance, Dr. Louise Livesey, a tutor in sociology and women's studies at the Ruskin College in Oxford, who said the show is "entrenched, institutional sexism." No... really. One of Livesey's colleagues was kind enough to add that Top Gear should be more "female-friendly," which struck us as odd, considering our significant others (wives and girlfriends, since the Autoblog staff is primarily composed of auto-obsessed males, much like Top Gear's) enjoy the program as much as we do. Why? Because it's great entertainment and – shockingly – women like cars too!

Thankfully, Top Gear's producer Andy Wilman released a statement in response, calling out the mandate and its supporting egg-heads by saying "our regular viewers know, on account of them normally having more common sense than politicians or academics, Top Gear is a male show, in that it revolves around three males enjoying their love of cars." Wilman went on to say, "this sort of claptrap is very patronizing to women, because it assumes women can't enjoy a show's presenters on merit, but can only appreciate a program if spoken to by one of their own sex".

:oook: :oook: :oook: this is quite a strange one, could go either way, i certainly think things should stay the same, way to get the popularity vote politicians!, o, wait.......

that's beyond retarded, if they were sexist they wouldn't all worship sabine...

they should tell that daft bitch to shut the hell up and be grateful her husband lets her out of the kitchen every now and again to pretend she has a real job :D

Sounds like a +rep to me :lol:

and to me as well =)

If they do change the cast of TG to include a female presenter...lets just say that TG will lose well over half of its viewers as its the trio which makes it so enjoyable to watch, the constant bikkering, Jeremy being an idiot, Hammond being...well...Hammond and don't get me started on captain slow, they are what makes TG anything other and its dead, a female presenter will kill the show UNLESS they kidnap Sabine and make her work for TG, then it would still be worth watching it as we will know that there is still a fast driver in the trio

I've never understood this nonsense. You employ people because they know what they are doing, you don't employ them to make up statistics. I know a few girls that watch Top Gear and never once have I heard them complain about it being an all male line up. Top Gear is honestly the only thing I watch on the BBC these days, for gods sake don't ruin it.

By the way this story has doubtlessly been smothered in Daily Mail hype.

From the summary of the bill in the article, it says that they just need to employ more women, ethnics, and homosexuals. It never says that they need to host any shows. TG probably wouldn't have to change it's trio of presenters if they just had a more "diverse" support crew.

that's beyond retarded, if they were sexist they wouldn't all worship sabine...

they should tell that daft bitch to shut the hell up and be grateful her husband lets her out of the kitchen every now and again to pretend she has a real job :D

Most enthusiastic +rep I have ever given.

The show would be destroyed with anyone but the current 3 presenters hosting. The combination and constant clashing of their personalities, along with their expansive knowledge of cars, makes them the only people fitting for the job.

End of story. :)

If They Employ a Gay Person They May As Well Can It "Top Quire" Why Would They Change Something Thats Doing It So Well And To Turn It Into Something No One Would Watch..Anyway No Offence To Any Homosexuals That Are On This Forum.

If They Employ a Gay Person They May As Well Can It "Top Quire" Why Would They Change Something Thats Doing It So Well And To Turn It Into Something No One Would Watch..Anyway No Offence To Any Homosexuals That Are On This Forum.

Huh?

Queer?

what is this?

Why can't a company chose to only hire men for a s show which is about men and cars. Dont tell me the redaction of heat magazine is half men and half woman. Come on why does TG need a female presentator? Because some say it is discriminating not to have a female presentator.

:nuts::nuts::nuts:

Why do they have to obligate companies to hire woman? it's not that they wont hgire any if they dont get obligate to do so. I also hope that a rule consurning howmany men you should have is to come.

Otherwise men would be the one's who are being discriminated.:crying:

fact is we don't start crying and shouting that we we are being discriminated when we don't get the job we wanted. Then why do do one's who do get all the attention they want and of course the job they want.:nuts:

So when we don't get what we want start to :crying: that you are being discriminated and all will be well.:rolleyes: