We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

StrickenHAWK?

It's a very good car :) Treated right, and that engine will last you forever! 1.9 TDi aye? 130hp version?

Yeah, 1.9 TDi but I have no idea about the power output :hmmm:

Lol, iPhone photos? They look better than my DSLR photos :lol:

The camera in the 4S is quite good but still, could have gotten off my lazy arse and taken some proper DSLR photos :lol:

Has some of the M5 visual parts, not all though, and god..the engine..3 turbo's under the bonnet, its madness :cheeky:

(and nope, in the uk and rhd countries, you dont get the m550d because xDrive would be a problem in converting that car to rhd, dunno why, but you do get the X6 M50D and X5 M50D)

What visual parts does the M550d share with the M5? I can't think of any. I hate how everyone (incl. journalists) says that the M550d looks the same as the M5. :oook:

Nonsense, it does not look the same as the M5, not the same exhausts, not the same front bumper.

Shares the rims (iirc the M5 also only has 2 rim options, same as M550D),

From what i read, the gray detail on the mirrors comes from the M5 too,

shares some interior parts with the M5, but is NOT a M5, which is supposed to be a drunk and sporty car 24/7 :P The M550D can also be drunk and slow :lol:, But the 384hp...and the 740nm...they do get you fast, faster :cheeky: Of course the M5 will beat it around corners and straight lines, never questioned that, and i always try to tell people its not a M5, its M550D, M performance line, not M line :)

On a short: I Totally agree with you :) M5 is not the M550D! Different cars, for different ends! But BMW's announced consumption of 6.6l/100km in the M550D is a hoax :P In Eco pro, 140km/h highway, couldnt go under 8L/100km, city driving can range from 16-22L/100km

The M5 doesn't even have the grey details - they're M Performance only. :p

And all those EU consumptions are false. How can you go under 7 liters with three turbos and almost 400 hp. That's the reason why we have turboengines with no character - carmakers need to go under cca. 130 g CO2 and have a good consumption on papers. :fp:

the M550D emits 165g CO2 per km iirc, yea, i think that maybe, driven for 5 hours, in eco pro, 100km/h average, it can do the 6.6L/100km. Start & Stop is idiotic, causes parts to wear out earlier, its just a way to get the consumption lower, but we turn it off, 'd rather more fuel consumption than stopping the engine and starting it 5 secs later tenths of times per day.

But it consumes..a lot, if you put it in Sport, in iDrive (as my dad calls it, motorbike mode), and Sport in the transmission, it can go over 24L/100km :/

Our roads dont quite allow flooring it germ :( Eitheir they have traffic, or they are bumpy as hell, bad roads everywhere :(

MB, not all bad :P 12L/100km average flooring it :p The consumption and the stereo are the worst things about our car :p (oh and the sat-nav, its bonkers!)

Scott, metric system makes much more sense and you know it :evil:

P.S. damn germ, stop changing names so ooften!

Well, the 3 of us (father, mother, me) agree that MMI is better than iDrive.

iDrive is very good, i like the 4 way navigation, and its visual.

Its rather easy to use, and intuitive, specially the phone mode.

Split screen on the iDrive is also awesome, but when it comes to sat nav..our MMI was from 2004, but we bought the sat nav 2009 software dvd, to update the maps, it was very straight forward, very clear map, clear indications, and early indications, and in little rural places with few known roads, it would either work well, or simply know when to shut up :p

the iDrive is better than the MMI in most things, i did not try a recent MMI though, the professional sat nav has a nice map, nice map views, but the experience of driving with is no where as nice as driving with the MMI's sat nav, its not as clear, sometimes we get placed in nearby roads, when our current road is represented on the map, and the current iDrive software does not have nearly as many roads, including my house's, as the 2009 software for the 2004 MMI had. Also, iDrive does not find fast routes, or shorter routes, as efficiently as the MMI, we get sent through weirdy roads :p

They are both, very, very good, and maybe if we had not had the MMI, we would say iDrive is perfect, and it nearly is..but that sat nav disappoints a lot :p

But i have learnt that trying to compare brands such as merc, or audi, or bmw, with each other, is not fruitful, as every of them has their ups and downs, we chose the M550D rather than an A7 3.0 BiTDi because we prefer it overall, the ideal would have been a compilation of the best from both ;) BMW's are excellent, so are Audi's and Mercs.

In July they updated the iDrive, so maybe you got it too (don't know when was the car built).

As for the routes - you can change the route criteria actually. There are three types of them: Efficient, Fast and Short. Every type has three different routes, so you basically have 9 different routes. Sometimes it gives me a bit weird routes, but you can make your own route in Google and put it into the car. :)

I think the worst thing about the nav is that you have to pay lots of money to update it... Bay€risch€ Motor€n W€rk€. :nods:

Haven't tried the new iDrive as well as MMI and Command yet, but they say the Command system is pretty simple and least complicated compared to Audi and BMW. In my opinion the Command looks outdated and screens in all Mercs are small (the ones in E90's are optimal), but luckily the upcoming S-class will receive an updated version.

In July they updated the iDrive, so maybe you got it too (don't know when was the car built).

As for the routes - you can change the route criteria actually. There are three types of them: Efficient, Fast and Short. Every type has three different routes, so you basically have 9 different routes. Sometimes it gives me a bit weird routes, but you can make your own route in Google and put it into the car. :)

I think the worst thing about the nav is that you have to pay lots of money to update the CIC navigation...

Car was probably built in september, we picked it up on the 30th of october.

Yea i would'nt judge without juicing all the options :lol:

We were on the Eco pro route, switched to fast, and it gave exactly the same route...And then the shortcut route, no thanks, our roads are havok to our suspension and rims as they are, and then the alternative routes ya, but imho, the way things are presented, and the way the car navigates...how clear it is...Audi's Sat nav is miles better.

No idea bout the current MMI's, but in ours we couldnt upload to the car external routes, but it always gave us clear routes, good roads.

iDrive is good, but not as good as the MMI. No idea how it compares to Mercedes' Comando, but google told me its better, but i shall not comment as i have no idea there ^^. But balancing the pro's and cons, i prefer our iDrive rather than our 2004 MMI.