We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

We're Back!

Immelmann

Question

We take a lot of traffic, lurkers out weighing members. Before the advent of mods we never had a major issue. Since the mods we've had to move to a more expensive server and as the costs have increased the donations haven't been able to keep up.

If you have any ideas for staying online feel free to share them.

I would gladly flame on people who are here exclusivley for mods. But that's not going to help now, is it?

So instead, we should probably donate. And hope for the best.

HEY this site is THE best site to find mods....and flaming those that come here to make there game better isn't going to help make friends now is it? No I didn't think so. Instead try and invite them to be more active in the community.

And I agree that donating is the best way to keep this site up, I would if I could.

This is the best place to find mods because it's the best place to discuss TDU. Not the other way around. We wouldn't have the mods here if we hadn't been the most popular english speaking community beforehand. I'm too poor atm to support sorry Diab

I'm sorry, that's just lame. How can you claim that people :

- that get here

- stay all day and download mods

- then see what they miss from the list and request those (in the wrong sections of course)

- don't write anywhere else, apart from the modshop

- haven't donated a single peny

- then get very sad when the forum is down (but not because of the community but beacuse they have nowhere to download mods from)

- and when the site is back, first thing they do (rather than say hello or donate a dollar) is to go to the mod shop again

If you can tell me that these are the people that TDUC needs, fine, that's your opinion. But I'll tell you what, I've been here for almost 2 years soon and this are the people that caused a lot of nice members to leave, a lot of modders to get angry, a lot of mods clean useless garbage from the threads...and etc and etc. We have 16,000 members, from which the ones that are active around the forum are like 100-150. So what goes for the other ones? Can 100 people donate enough to run the forum for the rest?

/rant

Since when was a community reliant on the money it makes? The gaming community i am a moderator of has been going 2 and a half years with any donation going back into the site in way of upgrade and prizes.
With a community as active as this we need a powerful hosting platform because even though bandwidth is something we use a lot it's not a worry, what is though is CPU resources and PHP and especially MySQL take a huge hit on these. I don't know the traffic your community gets but what happens here is people check a certain section often (with the TDU2 section afterwards) and open and view several threads and attachments, they don't enter a thread and read taking some ease off the server no it's constant especially at our peak hours between 4 and 9/10PM GMT.

We take a lot of traffic, lurkers out weighing members. Before the advent of mods we never had a major issue. Since the mods we've had to move to a more expensive server and as the costs have increased the donations haven't been able to keep up.

If you have any ideas for staying online feel free to share them.

Very true, TDU modding has grown at an exponential rate and I'm happy to say we were very much involved in that, however this brings it's own problems with the amount of people who come to us for this solely compared to genuine members who enjoy the mods but also stick for the insanity that we are scarily well known for.

GOAT WASHING!!! :D

HEY this site is THE best site to find mods....and flaming those that come here to make there game better isn't going to help make friends now is it? No I didn't think so. Instead try and invite them to be more active in the community.

And I agree that donating is the best way to keep this site up, I would if I could.

Making friends from those who don't participate isn't going to be a problem anyway is it? It's fine for these people who don't bother, they come and go and if we were to go then they would just find somewhere else. However those who come, join and stick around are going to feel a slight loss if we were to go and do their best to keep us around and for that we couldn't be any more grateful and if things do go as we intend then these people will be well remembered for all their selfless and amazingly generous contributions not only in support but also in how they support and are fully active within the forums themself.

This is the best place to find mods because it's the best place to discuss TDU. Not the other way around. We wouldn't have the mods here if we hadn't been the most popular english speaking community beforehand. I'm too poor atm to support sorry Diab
Don't worry about it mate you have more than given your fair share of support to us and we're always ecstatic to have original and long running members with us still to this day!

Welcome back! I would gladly donate but I don't have Paypal so..
Thank you and it's a common misconception that people believe you have to have Paypal in order to use it, this is not true, all you need is your card.

====================================

Anyway guys please keep it civil and remember that with popularity comes more burden, we started out small, we grew due to our activity on TDU itself and then things just started to keep growing. When modding started to occur that's when it went nuts and I fret on an almost daily basis due to the fact that we are here at this point without any official mention of the next Test Drive. What's going to happen when that eventually happens next Friday ...oops (j/k) who knows!

So come on Who tell us what will happen?! :nuts:

I apologise if i came across arrogant diablo. Im sure your user rate and traffic is much higher than my community's, and if i am fully honest it completely slipped my mind you had to host the whole modding section. I hope the site can stay on its feet because it truly is an excellent site, i love the fact you haven't resorted to huge amounts of adverts and such to keep an income. All i can hope is you can find an improved and cheaper hosting option.

So come on Who tell us what will happen?! :nuts:

i'm sure there's supposed to be a 'will' in there somewhere, but considering you asked so nicely...

I see two words... looking further I make out that the words are 'Coming So-'

Nope, never mind, my Crystal sheep ball seems to have crashed.

is it possible to make the mod downloads available for a price, if the mods author agrees?

nothing outrageous, 2 or 3 dollars per download. or a subscription fee of 25-30 dollars a year for a certain amount of downloads, and of course for an extra 5 or 10 dollars you can be placed on the Preferred list of people who know about the latest available downloads a week before anyone else.

but wait, theres more............

you will also be sent the latest news we can find regarding the much anticipated sequel to TDU.

all this for only XX amount of dollars per year

yes. i watch too much TV. but is something like this feasible/legal?

Hey there! I'm very glad TDUCK is back and i've missed it much. I would recommend mods such as the massive snow mod by Opelos and as Diablo said, car models made from scratch (even though they're not very common). If we all have something to get out of this community i think you should at least give some back.