We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Best NFS?

Andreas¹

Best NFS?  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Best NFS?

• The Need for Speed/SE (1994)
    • Need for Speed II/SE (1997)
    • Need for Speed III: Hot Pursuit (1998)
    • Need for Speed: Road Challenge/High Stakes (1999)
    • Need for Speed: Porsche 2000/Unleashed (2000)
    • Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit 2 (2002)
    • Need for Speed: Underground (2003)
    • Need for Speed: Underground 2 (2004)
    • Need for Speed: Most Wanted (2005)
    • Need for Speed: Carbon (2006)
    • Need for Speed: ProStreet (2007)
    • Need for Speed: Undercover (2008)
    • Need for Speed: Shift (2009)
    • Need for Speed: World Online (2010)
    • Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit (2010)
    • Need for Speed: Shift 2 Unleashed (2011)
    • Need for Speed: The Run (2011)

I'm just curious as to what peoples favorite NFS games are? I know the best ones IMO are the older ones, mostly from when they called themselves Electronic Arts, and not EA like they do today. The older games (up until Underground 2 for me) had "that" feeling to them. Great physics in my opinion, when the games were designed for driving and not ricing out your cars and adding vinyls all over them. The music was a whole chapter of its own, but they ruined that too by adding the stupid rap music that all sounds the same to their games. I also think the newer games feel mass produced somehow, which the old ones never did to me.

Please add you votes/comment. It's a multichoice poll so pick as many as you want.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

when the games were designed for driving and not ricing out your cars and adding vinyls all over them. The music was a whole chapter of its own, but they ruined that too by adding the stupid rap music that all sounds the same to their games.

This exactly. NFS isn't about modding and ricing out your car - to all you kids out there who think that, you are horribly incorrect. The most recent NFS (HP) was a success because it went back to the true values of the series.

NFS III: HP is the best of the series hands down in my opinion. It was a pain at times, but it was just such a good game. Anything with "Hot Pursuit" in the name I have been astounded with.

Great thread by the way :)

Need For Speed Shift 2, simply because I hate the NFS series due to it's poor gameplay, stupidly complicated menus and the entirely rushed feel of most of their games. Plus, they suck up to Porsche (or vice versa?) like never before and no one else is allowed to have it, a bit like a spoiled little child. I only picked Shift 2 because the track list is good and it has 1 or 2 decent features and some nice cars.

Now I'll leave because I don't want to go on a massive long rant.

NFS III and NFS IV definitely. I loved that German and English track, plus the fact the police were all native to their regions also added to it. Being able to turn off your lights yet still being illuminated by the helicopters light following was fun. I wish they made the sections where you were the cop free roam though, those time limits were easy but annoying.

Also NFS II and IV didn't have any of the cars with stupid nitro boosts or the like, it was just you, your car and your driving that was required to win or escape.

This exactly. NFS isn't about modding and ricing out your car - to all you kids out there who think that, you are horribly incorrect. The most recent NFS (HP) was a success because it went back to the true values of the series.

Where are they anyway? I can't see anyone saying they want to be able to do all that anywhere. I love to go on Youtube though, listening to the old soundtracks and reading comments from all the (tens of thousand of) people who feel the same way as we do.

Great thread by the way :)

Need For Speed Shift 2, simply because I hate the NFS series due to it's poor gameplay, stupidly complicated menus and the entirely rushed feel of most of their games. Plus, they suck up to Porsche (or vice versa?) like never before and no one else is allowed to have it, a bit like a spoiled little child. I only picked Shift 2 because the track list is good and it has 1 or 2 decent features and some nice cars.

Now I'll leave because I don't want to go on a massive long rant.

I know your feeling exactly. Have you tried the older ones I mentioned earlier? No poor gameplay, no complicated menus and they definitely do not feel rushed. As Diablo said, they cared enough about their old games to include cops in different languages, Swedish also existed (! :eek: ) and that says a lot. All of the old games can be found cheaply on the net, and no game collection is complete without any of them.

I know your feeling exactly. Have you tried the older ones I mentioned earlier? No poor gameplay, no complicated menus and they definitely do not feel rushed. As Diablo said, they cared enough about their old games to include cops in different languages, Swedish also existed (! :eek: ) and that says a lot. All of the old games can be found cheaply on the net, and no game collection is complete without any of them.

^ This

I think every Need For Speed before Underground was really cool. If anyone here played Need For Speed Porsche on Playstation 1 (Yes, it is different from other versions), would understand me... the era mode, where you start in classic era, then golden and finally modern. They change everything by era, soundtracks, cars (Cars from past eras can be find on used) and even the menu change in every era. Really, that game was awesome.

NFS1 - Never played so I can't tell - No vote

NFSII - Loved it as a kid, don't remember much but I especially loved the cheat code cars :lol: - Vote

NFSIII - Never played - No vote

NFSIV - Had this on PS1, loved especially the police mode - Vote

NFS Porsche - Close to, if not the best NFS up to date. THIS game deserved the Porsche licence. - Vote

NFS HP2 - This game had a great feeling to it, first thing I remember is cruising down a coastal road in a Ferrari Superamerica, lovely! - Vote

NFS UG - Start of the new era to NFS, still managing to keep it fun because it was new - Vote

NFS UG2 - Even though the cars were ricey, the massive customization options kept this one fun for a long time - Vote

NFS MW - The return of cops, don't know how many of you agree but this was one of the last NFS games I enjoyed - Vote

NFS Carbon - Basically MW with a more boring city, stupid "gang" things and hideous cars (autosculpt anyone? *shivers*) - No vote

NFS Prostreet - Maybe a bit better than Carbon but I didn't like the physics (1 mile drag with continuous wheelie? sure.) - No vote

NFS Undercover - Back to the same old model from MW & Carbon? Seriously? Stupidest plot ever, same handling and basically nothing new! - No vote

NFS Shift - I had great expectations for this, seeing as SMS was doing it, but after all, I hated the handling - No vote

NFS World - I quite like this one, it's like a free version of most wanted, though it gets boring REALLY quickly - Almost, but no vote

NFS Hot Pursuit 2010 - I love it, this is a close call for the best NFS for me. Back to the roots (supercars vs. cops) with fun handling by Criterion (couldn't expect less) and great graphics - Vote

NFS S2U - Better than Shift 1 atleast but kinda let me down after HP2010 - No vote

NFS The Run - They finally found a way to dethrone Undercover as the worst NFS - No vote

So, my vote for the best NFS game goes to HP 2010 and Porsche 2000 :p

Silly me only voted for 1 - NFS 2 SE. :lol:

I wont say it's "technically" the best but it's where all my childhood memories are. The tracks, game modes, varying physics options (sim, arcade, wild), all the photos and videos of the cars and tracks, the music, etc were brilliant. It was also the first LAN game I played, and the first online game I played (over a 56k dial up modem with my cousin). If I wasn't running 64bit Windows I'd already have it installed and could easily finish a kockout comp in 30 minutes. The tournament strangely still provides a very good challenge. Last time I did it a few months ago I only won by 5 points or something.

NFS - Only played a demo - meh (I'm sure it was awesome at the time)

NFS2SE - Awesome

NFS3 - Physics were a tad weird but the police made it fun.

NFS4 - Didn't get this one on PC for a while (had it on PSX, which was slightly different). Tracks and being able to switch police cars made it fun. Presentation was also very good. I once installed the heavily modded version and loaded all the NFS2 tracks into the game as well, but it's not the easiest thing to get working (keeps saying my CD is not in the drive when it is).

NFS5 - I first played this on PSX, which was completely different (had a few small open world maps, splitscreen capture the flag modes, etc). Missions and tracks were also completely different), quite fun. Later got it on PC, which didn't have all the features, but was more polished (although at the start the game kept crashing halfway through one of the tracks which was annoying).

NFSHP2 - Enjoyed this game a lot on PC and played on a friends XBOX once as well (not fair they get split screen police coop and PC didn't). On the PC you could modify just about anything since most of the settings were in easy-to-edit text files. I've saved a few files that I changed to make the cop gameply like NFS3 (where ramming the perp does nothing, you have to stop them properly). I only played the PS2 version once, and I understand one of the tracks was completely different, and they had NOS and had fire trucks on the Redwood track shortcut). The graphics were inferior though. Only in this game did I like most of the EA trax (compared to newer games).

NFSU - Played on XBOX first, never finished it, then got around to completing it on PC (after finishing NFSU2) - didn't really enjoy it.

NFSU2 - Open world was ok, had a decent story at the time, was annoying since you couldn't warp around the large map though.

NFSMW - Enjoyed this game a lot the first time, but the map is too small to have any replay value for me.

NFSC - There are plenty of reasons not to enjoy this - but for some reason I did (no replay value though).

ProStreet - It should've been good, but the handling physics were really annoying for me. I liked how you had to use the clutch properly though. Never finished this one.

Undercover - Never finished it - too many controller and graphics issues. Everyone knows it sucked. The day NFS started to die.

Shift - was mostly good/ok. Took longer to startup than Windows 7 though.

Hot Pursuit 2010 - Finished it, but only enjoyed it for very brief moments. The Burnout Paradise handling ruined it for me. Online modes were fun, but annoyed that we missed out on the DLC game modes.

Shift 2 - Enjoyed it, but for some reason never finished it. Similar story with DiRT3. I must've been busy then or something. It was annoying how you couldn't alter your controls when paused in a race, had to always go back to the main menu. The UI was really annoying.

The Runs - this might be the first NFS that I have no intention of getting legally or otherwise.

I must say I'm proud that so far, the results are actually correct...

Amen! Someone email this to EA :hmmm:

stop them properly[/url]

Nice video there, makes me wonder what else you could do with the game. :mhmm: I remember I used to cheat and put all the car prices down to $1 cause I couldn't be arsed trying to make money to buy the NFS versions of all the cars, lol

MW was alright to be fair. You didn't have to ruin your car with decals, kits and crap. Also if you played the game without using the slo-mo feature the police chases were damn hard and lasted ages.

MW had some true HP flair. I especially adored my Black 996 turbo. :)

MW was alright to be fair. You didn't have to ruin your car with decals, kits and crap. Also if you played the game without using the slo-mo feature the police chases were damn hard and lasted ages.

That was exactly what made me despise MW. Those *inadudible grumble* milestones, one was like "escape a 60 minute police chase". Either you

a) hit a spikestrip and failed 55 minutes in, or

b) actually escaped from the cops 55 minutes in and desperately went around looking for one so you could keep going but of course there was none to be found then. xD