We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

BBC Top Gear [It's back!]

Andreas¹

I've heard it mentioned ;)

The channel that often repeats old TopGear episodes here tends not to show those very early seasons though.

On the matter of these [spoil]self driving cars potentially deciding to kill you instead of someone else[/spoil], I was thinking if you can purchase and install new ECU software to improve performance and fuel efficiency, perhaps they could also crack and override the code so that a [spoil]self driving car will always try to save you[/spoil], especially when it comes to millionaire's in their expensive Bentley or whatever.

• Replies 597
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think self driving cars will be able to swerve.If they detect no way out of an incident using radar or something (too many obstacles in the way) it'll just slam on the brakes as hard as possible and carry on straight since there's no meaningful way out. After all, it won't see children on the pavement, just obstacles... they won't be that clever. But if they can drive themselves then you don't need to sit so far forward in the car and may be further from the impact so might be safer.

Yep, good episode indeed :)

That Eagle review was stunning... Clarkson got it right, these little details make the car special.

The F-Type is great but it will never replace the good old E-Type. I was happy to see these two cars side by side even if the Eagle is not the original 60's beauty.

MX-5 review was good too. I loved the way they filmed that car, the film was beautifully made. :nods:

And James's attempt to be captain fast was interesting. I don't know a lot about Rallycross and TG did perfectly demonstrated how great is that racing series. :cool:

Indeed, although part of me would have preferred to see RH in the rally car just to see if he could keep up. He did the best in the previous RallyX episode after all. No doubt that will also feature in an upcoming TG USA episode so will see how they spin it.

Stood next to that eagle gt before and after filming I gotta say it's rather lovely, another car orientated episode again so I'm happy.

Was weird watching the filming then watching it back and seeing how much they cut out of things like the news, they did news on the new koeny and the Mac 675 but it never made the edit.

also the blond girl stood to the right of the TV during the SIARPC bit fainted halfway through, watch carefully as she disappears :cheeky:

It was a good episode and I was surprised to see they never mentioned the Regera unless they plan on doing it next week. The Jaaaag segment was well done and I was really surprised to hear Clarkson say the shouty nature of the F-type as being a negative, that Eagle is a beauty though and I did like how he pointed out and they showed the exemplary details of the car. I've also heard a few older generations talking about how the manual skilled arts and crafts are dying out (and that we will be worse off for it happening). The new MX-5 is definitely a step in the right direction, looking a bit more meaner than the softer looking past models, SIARPC was actually decent and the Rally-cross was a fitting end. I actually thought James was going to lose it for Tanner at one point as 2nd place definitely could have a look down his inside when he went wide when chasing James.

And @Dan G I'll need to check out for that girl going missing whenever I next see this ep on again.

It was a good episode and I was surprised to see they never mentioned the Regera unless they plan on doing it next week.

Probably not seeing as it just ended up on the editing room floor for this one, I doubt they'll drag up the same thing twice.

I can't wait to see the road test of the new MX-5. :D

It's kind of shame that they leave out news about many cars like Dan mentioned for some local gossips and 'news' that I am sure many do not understand at all.

You mean the UK politician part?

I guess considering it's the UK taxpayers which pay for the show, it really should be tailored towards that audience. Though I understand this isn't great for everyone else.

Yes, I get that for sure, but the audience has grown since early 2000's so it's not a UK-only show anymore. I don't mind that part at all, but I think it should be done as the last part of the news, third or fourth one. I guess it's because the news are now shorter than ever IMHO and they spend greater part of that section talking about UK politicians and local joke about Bristol and some Yorkscarboroughblahshires. :lol:

Yes, I get that for sure, but the audience has grown since early 2000's so it's not a UK-only show anymore.
No it is, the way the BBC is funded you will see a lot of UK-based interest pieces and commentary. Just because the world can access it doesn't mean the show has to cater to it.

BBC News - Top Gears Clarkson suspended by BBC

Top Gear host Jeremy Clarkson has been suspended by the BBC "following a fracas" with a producer.

The corporation said the presenter had been suspended "pending an investigation".

"No one else has been suspended. Top Gear will not be broadcast this Sunday," it said.

"The BBC will be making no further comment at this time."

More details to follow.

Oh dear.

TG has been cancelled for this sunday.